iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gun Serial Numbers

Started by Gary_C, November 11, 2010, 12:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I just had a little incident where I thought one of my guns disappeared. It was a false alarm but what I rediscovered is that I have failed to record serial numbers of my guns and could not report them as missing. I suppose I am the only one that has failed to do this important chore but that has now been rectified. Got out the digital camera and took pictures of the serial numbers.

And that brought up a couple of questions. Is there some place you can go and find serial numbers of guns you own? That's assuming you have bought them new as I have. And another question is can you go some place and find out the history of ownership of guns from a serial number? There was one site I looked at that said you should check on ownership before buying any gun from a non licensed person.

Some years ago I had a 22 revolver disappear. So just to check further, I called the town where the gun store was where I bought the pistol and discovered the store is no longer there and the owner has passed away. So apparently no records exist anymore. I am still looking but it does not look good. I did call the manufacturer which was High Standard but they said they did not have records back then and though BATF is supposed to have records, many times they call the manufacturers for info on owners. Apparently BATF's paperwork is not in good order and good luck in getting them to talk to you.

Anybody got any ideas of where to find serial numbers and ownership?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Norm

Nope and hope we never do.

I keep my original receipts if I remember to but also keep them in safes that you better know how to run my trackhoe to get them.

The downside of this is that I keep forgetting the combination.  :D

ely

what norm said. if you dont know where you bought them then maybe ... just maybe, no one else does either.

i used to try and get the numbers recorded on all of mine, but i failed to do that for awhile. then i had the house fire and lost every single gun i ever owned so now they bad guys have no reason to come by my place to check on my guns. ;D

iffy

I used to be an FFL holder and by law the ATF is not allowed to computerize your records. When I gave up my FFL, I had to turn my records over to ATF but even then they are not allowed to computerize them. When law enforcement tracks a gun by serial #, they contact the manufacturer, who can only tell them who the first reseller was. That reseller can tell them who they sold it to, and if it is another FFL holder, that  person can tell them who they sold it to. The trail stops when a private sale is made unless the seller can remember who they sold it to.
This is important, because if they were allowed to put these records in a database, this would be a back door entry to gun registration. Many folks think gun registration is just fine, but that is just one more hurdle out of the way of confiscation. History will tell you that you should never give up your gun ownership rights.

Gary_C

Well, that kind of explains what I found when I tried to get the serial number of that High Standard pistol that I bought new back in the early 1970's. The local gun shop is long gone and the owner has passed away. I am sure there is a record of the sale as in 1968 a law was passed to require licensed gun dealers to keep records. When I called High Standard I found they have no records of sales back then and she even told me that BATF regularly comes to them asking for records which they do not have.

What iffy said makes sense and I read that somewhere that a licensed gun dealer is supposed to turn in their records to BATF when they go out of business but that doesn't mean anything as they do not have any way of referencing those records.  ::)

Norm you could just write the combination on the side of the safe where nobody would ever think to look.   ;D   

I have a little different problem. I bought my guns so long ago that not only are the receipts long gone, I can't even remember for sure where I bought them.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

cheyenne

We were going into New Brunswick on a Bear hunting trip back in 87 & the border guard said my friends gun was on the hot sheet as being stolen  in California  yikes_smiley........Then he explained to us that it wasn't the same gun because over the years Mfg's have used the same serial no. on different models & sometimes on the same models :o........Then he said have a nice stay in N.B. & enjoy your hunt 8) 8) 8)....Who'd a thunk...........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

SwampDonkey

We have a registry here in Canada as you know, but I'm not sure you can access your records unless your in the process of registering your guns, you can check the status. I think everything else is only accessible by law enforcement.

Here's the site.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

What I wanna know Cheyenne is if you got your bar. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cheyenne

In a word NO but we had a great time in Plaster Rock at the Lakeside Lodge & returned many times.........I must go back again...... fly_smiley.......Cheyenne

SwampDonkey

Lakeside is in California Settlement, was it Tobique View maybe, that's in Plaster Rock. Was you with Collins Hudnut?

My grandfather was an old guide for years, had many camps. Sold his camps at Serpentine Lake and Tobique Narrows years ago. All of which are still used by their new owners.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cheyenne

We hunted with Joe Hershey who guided for Lakeside Lodge.........

Chuck White

I also used to be an FFL holder!

When I let my license go, all of my records had to be sent to the ATF in Falling Waters, West Virginia.

I did make and keep a copy for myself too, but the originals had to be turned in!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!