iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Mosuito Bomber

Started by Ron Scott, July 09, 2012, 03:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

doctorb

I think that's really cool, Ron.  Great post.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

A NZ company is rebuilding one to flying condition. It's more than a restoration as ALL the wood needs to be replaced. So they are effectively starting with a box of assorted metal parts and baking everything else.

http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/index.shtml

Because the plane is mostly wooden construction and the airframes were build by woodworkers in furniture factories there is not really any parts that cant be recreated from the original blueprints.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Norm

Interesting, thanks for sharing that Ron.

Paul_H

My Uncle Bob Lasser was a navigator on a Mosquito during the war.Him and I put together a model of a Mosquito one Christmas when I was around 10 years old and how I wish I could do it with him now.
He is in his mid nineties now,still married to Barb,his beautiful war bride from England.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

pineywoods

The materials have changed, but the construction technique lives on. The mosquito was made of a balsa wood core coverd with birch plywood. Today, the latest aircraft construction technology is hi-density foam sandwiched with fiberglass or carbon fiber..pioneered by a fella named Burt Rutan...Duplicating a mosquito bomber with the latest materials would be an interesting project. Biggest problem would be obtaining two of the rolls royce engines..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ianab

Just saw the locally rebuilt one on TV doing it's first test flight. Can't find it online yet, but this is a clip of it doing engine and taxi tests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vQOY3d89JE

Will have another look tomorrow, I'm sure someone will have uploaded some footage.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Not war planes, but bush plane engines are tested at the Bush Plane Museum in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. I heard that some of the de Haviland bush planes are being built or going to be by Bombardier. These planes go back to the 40's like the Beaver and Otter. They are popular world over.

I don't know where the Mosquito was built in NA, never hear tell of it being built in the Maritimes. All I ever heard was that yellow birch was harvested for the planes. About the mid 40's we had a massive birch die-off here. So it's not been 100 years yet thus very scarce to see a 40" birch now. It would have to be close to 200 years to get those again. ;) I have a 25+ one on the woodlot, but it's only 100. Was a fire that long ago.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

According to Wikipedia over 1,000 of them were built in Ontario up until 1945.

The wood structure, although brilliant, wasn't exactly durable which is why there were none left flying. The one in NZ has had about $7 million spent on it to basically rebuilt it from scratch.

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!