iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy in Maine

Started by gummer23, November 14, 2016, 10:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gummer23

Been lurking for awhile and want to thank all for the great info in the forum. I purchased a Thomas 6013 back in June. Went with a Thomas as they are about 45 minutes from the house. First project was a saw shed, next will be a solar kiln.

I am sawing just for hobby/fun and learning every time I saw. Any day in the woods is a good day!

I think I have the picture thing figured out.

Thanks, Doug

Shed

Wheels off, log deck up

poplar, hemlock slabs, oak and beech
Thomas 6013, Husky 55 and 550XP, Kubota BX 1800, Terex HR-16 excavator, ATV, Logrite ATV arch, trailers, not enough time

Magicman

You have a very nice operation there Doug, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Also, congrats and thanks for the picture.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Nice looking shed!

Also, interesting how you have stacked your lumber using minimal blocks.  I'll have to rethink how I was going to do mine.  I was planning on two cement blocks every two feet.  But doing it your way, I'd probably do two (one front, one back) every four feet or so, place a big beam and then short 4x4s across every two feet.

I've got to mill some 8x8 and 8x10 posts, 8x12 and 8x15 beams.  Then a slew of 5x9 rafters and a lot of 1x.  Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll knock out these 4 logs.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

shop guy

2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

thecfarm

gummer23,welcome to he forum. Like that building. Looks like you have the 60?? model? I have the 6020. Paint inch marks on those logs stops. Comes in handy when you are sawing flitches. I have 4-6-8-10 inch marks. 4 inch is really 3½ and 6 is really 5½. Just easy to set it up and I know I have a ½ inch to spare. Did a good job on the the log brough.It keeps the tractor away from the sawmill. Got a Logrite peavey? Sponsor on the left. Tell them thecfarm sent ya.  :D
What's all the lumber being used for?
I see a tractor,using that to get the logs out with?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Savannahdan

Welcome and I like your operation. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

fishfighter

Very nice operation and welcome aboard.

gummer23

Thank you all for the kind welcome.

ljohnsaw..So far the lumber stacks have held up well with the minimum of blocks. They have not gone swayback yet (3 months).

thecfarm...I have the 6013. Log stops are marked already, have not hit one yet knock on wood. I have the biggest cant hook that Peavy Manufacturing makes- they are right around the corner. Been using the tractor for some hauling but use the ATV with a Logrite arch for most log hauling. As far a lumber use, I build and repair  cabinets and furniture. Just need to get the wood dry first. I recently tried Kasco 4 degree blades and have been using them for everything. Great cut quality and life with my little 13 hp honda.

Doug
Thomas 6013, Husky 55 and 550XP, Kubota BX 1800, Terex HR-16 excavator, ATV, Logrite ATV arch, trailers, not enough time

Seavee

Welcome Douglas   nice looking sawmill she'd and operation
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Doug.  Nice mill shed and setup. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

scully

Very sweet set up ! Glad to see you around here . I hope to get up to the county soon .
I bleed orange  .

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 14, 2016, 10:15:48 PM
Nice looking shed!

Also, interesting how you have stacked your lumber using minimal blocks.  I'll have to rethink how I was going to do mine.  I was planning on two cement blocks every two feet.  But doing it your way, I'd probably do two (one front, one back) every four feet or so, place a big beam and then short 4x4s across every two feet.

I've got to mill some 8x8 and 8x10 posts, 8x12 and 8x15 beams.  Then a slew of 5x9 rafters and a lot of 1x.  Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll knock out these 4 logs.

The book I read on stacking lumber said that the bottom course of lumber should be 18" off the ground in areas of the country that has snow cover in the winter. You need to have it up so that the air can flow through every layer of lumber.

One way to do it is like he has shown, put down some "ground blocks" then some timbers then your cross blocking:

All my lumber in my yard is up on timbers above the ground blocks.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on November 15, 2016, 09:33:20 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 14, 2016, 10:15:48 PM
Nice looking shed!

The book I read on stacking lumber said that the bottom course of lumber should be 18" off the ground in areas of the country that has snow cover in the winter. You need to have it up so that the air can flow through every layer of lumber.

One way to do it is like he has shown, put down some "ground blocks" then some timbers then your cross blocking:

All my lumber in my yard is up on timbers above the ground blocks.

Jim Rogers
Thanks for the info, Jim.  But, does 18" still apply when you have 10 feet of snow :o :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

carykong

gummer23

bandmiller2

Welcome Gummer, I can see your a meticulous workman good job on your shed. I've got to say it,  add on, the snow will blow in and cover everything. If you really want to be spoiled put a good roof over your log deck and some sides on your shed then you can work through the winter, or at least part of it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

gummer23

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 15, 2016, 05:34:26 PM
Welcome Gummer, I can see your a meticulous workman good job on your shed. I've got to say it,  add on, the snow will blow in and cover everything. If you really want to be spoiled put a good roof over your log deck and some sides on your shed then you can work through the winter, or at least part of it. Frank C.

You are so right. My plan is to drain the fuel and pull the battery when the snow piles up and go skiing.

Doug

dgdrls

Quote from: gummer23 on November 15, 2016, 06:03:14 PM

You are so right. My plan is to drain the fuel and pull the battery when the snow piles up and go skiing.

Doug

Welcome aboard,  I like the way you think!!

Best
D

Kbeitz

Quote from: gummer23 on November 15, 2016, 06:03:14 PM

Doug

Last five letters was wrong... Should have been outh.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Solomon

Welcome aboard Gummer,  I live on the coast of Virginia now.  I was born in Houlton up there in Aroostik County.  I have a lot of family up around Danforth, Pittsfield,  Waterville and Portland.   Nice operation you've set up there Brother.
May your cuts be straight, your boards never cup, check, twist, bow or crook and may you never hit a nail , glass insulator, brick or any other  blade killing object , and my your blades sharpen themselves.
Glad you're here !!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

gummer23

Quote from: Solomon on November 16, 2016, 08:35:22 AM
Welcome aboard Gummer,  I live on the coast of Virginia now.  I was born in Houlton up there in Aroostik County.  I have a lot of family up around Danforth, Pittsfield,  Waterville and Portland.   Nice operation you've set up there Brother.
May your cuts be straight, your boards never cup, check, twist, bow or crook and may you never hit a nail , glass insulator, brick or any other  blade killing object , and my your blades sharpen themselves.
Glad you're here !!!

Quote from: scully on November 15, 2016, 08:35:54 AM
Very sweet set up ! Glad to see you around here . I hope to get up to the county soon .

I'm headed up to the county next week to do some hunting with a good friend in Fort Fairfield. Beautiful country. Thanks for the welcomes.

Doug

Dewey

Yessah...    Good to see some Mainah's on here if you get to Liberty Look me up !! Good Luck hunting.. !!!

Thank You Sponsors!