iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drilling in a tight place

Started by Brad_bb, December 05, 2023, 01:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So I have a narrow cabinet door and I need to install a ball catch from Rockler.  

The door is no problem, but the catch in the frame of he cabinet is a tight space to bore a 7/16" hole for the catch.  I have the Dewalt right angle, attachment, but I cannot find a stubby 7/16" brad point drill bit.  

Between the front of this right angle attachment and the wood I need to drill is about 3.75".  How can I bore a 7/16" hole in this space?  Is there anyplace with a stubby 7/16" bit that is hex drive?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DMcCoy

Have you looked at McMaster Carr? 
You might have to make one.
You could use a lathe center drill, cut one end off and hot glue into a 7/16" socket.
If you have access to a milling machine I have made straight single flute drill bits from grade 5 bolts.  You might be able to grind one as well.  Again hot glue into a socket

21incher

I have cut down a cheap spade drill bit for a tight space. Once you get over 3/8 it seems like you would have to make it. A forstner bit could probably be cut way down with a soft enough  shank to drill and braze in a hex drive bit. milwaukee bits have a round small shank that could probably be brazed in any stub of a cheap low carbon bit that can be easily  drilled. A simple guide block could be used to locate it.   
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Just grabbed some stuff I would  use. A forster bit and short hex socket.
Cut the bit at the tape with my cutoff wheel. Then either  grind some flats to fit a smaller socket or for just one hole jb weld the bit in place after roughing up the shank.

That can get to a 3 inch total with about 3/4 depth.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Brad_bb

Thanks guys.  @21incher that looks like a plan.  I have about 5 inches total spacing for the right angle and bit.  So I just need to find a socket bit like that... and get the good concentric fit putting them together, so that the Forstner bit spins true. If the shank is bigger than the socket, Maybe I can spin the bit in a drill up against my bench grinder wheel?

21incher

With 5 inches you could just use a rt angle  drill

Another  option if you can go deeper is a step drill with a piece to prevent  tear out clamped to the frame

Amazon has many hex shank shorties that are still twist drills but a piece  to prevent  tear out should keep the hole clean also. An extra inch opens up the options.

Brad_bb

I've got to get the forstner bit so that I know the dia of the shank where I'll cut it off.  I need to measure that and make sure it will fit one of the Compact hex sockets I found from Dewalt.

SwampDonkey

Festool makes hex shank with that diameter bit. Their stubbies are metric and no 11 mm, just 3-8 mm.

Festool Brad-Point Drill Bits - Lee Valley Tools
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brad_bb

@SwampDonkey  You don't have any of those Festool bits to be able to measure how long they are do you?  I've sent a message to Festoolusa cust service, but I have no confidence that they will provide me the length.  Past experience says they will be no more helpful than Chesticles on a bull.

@Tom King  I did see those, but I'm not that confident that they will stay centered in oak. If I tried it, I'd try drilling a little pilot hole in hopes it would follow it.  The cut may be pretty rough too given the shape.  They advised uses are for hard metals, not wood.

SwampDonkey

Just sent Lee valley a request for length of the 7/16" diameter bit end, excluding the shaft length. So probably get a straight answer soon.  I know different sizes are different lengths like regular bits are.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom King

I think if you made a little wooden guide block for it that clamps to the rail it would do fine with a slow feed and also prevent blowout at the surface. 

SwampDonkey

Frank , at Lee Valley, said they don't have any bits at their stores in stock to measure and Festool doesn't provide the info at their website. A lot of stock, most, are shipped out of their warehouses. I'll be able to tell you in a few days as I have a set I ordered this morning on the way.

mudfarmer

Sounds like you are on track but in case it helps someone else in the future, I got some tools to do exhaust manifold studs on one of my trucks, and the company sells a drill chuck that goes on a 1/4" drive air/electric ratchet. This apparently gives an even smaller package than a bit in a right angle drill? The company is ProMaxx

Brad_bb

Festool actually got back to me via email and said the 7/16 bit is 4.5".  It would be real close.  I need to go measure again with the right angle attachment.

@mudfarmer  I'll look for that Promaxx.

SwampDonkey

As for the 7/16 bit, the overall bit length is 4.5" long to the point tip. But the hex shank is 5/8" long, then another 5/8" down to the shoulder that is round with 1/4" diameter, then another 1/8" before you hit the flutes of the bit past the shoulder.

Thank You Sponsors!