Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2024, 12:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Rained hard here last night.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

woodroe

Very wet here also. No wood getting worked today.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

3/4" rain so far, and water in the potato rows in the field. Still raining a good clip.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WhitePineJunky

Kind of random for weather thread but never had enough reasoning to make a new thread about it, have any of you heard of a European copper beech tree? I came across one at the local farm market never seen one before, I rarely buy overpriced trees from them markets but almost did that sapling tree!
What a beautiful exotic looking tree

And for the weather, finally some rain, downpours actually, I was beginning to worry about my many seedlings I planted as they are drying out. Couple claps of thunder just right now too

Rain dance 🕺

SwampDonkey

I had to look it up to make sure, it's a variety of Fagus sylvatica, European beech. I've seen them around mall parking lots south of here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 28, 2024, 10:08:10 AMI had to look it up to make sure, it's a variety of Fagus sylvatica, European beech. I've seen them around mall parking lots south of here.
What a stunning tree! I've been wanting to plant some American beech on my land, I had collected 100 seeds from a tree last fall from a cemetery, planted them all in cups, left them in the wood shed to cold stratify, mouse ate every single one, replanted the cups with bird sunflower seed
Lesson learned

Ben Cut-wright

Spent a long day Saturday canoeing on the Mulberry River.  Got home after midnight just in time for the tornado and straight wind damage that tore up Benton county and a couple towns near the MO border where my sons live. Not a leaf disturbed at my home 20 miles south.  Local radio stations lost power, the only AM talk radio station had an emergency generator but it had a compressed gas line leak and was out of fuel.  So I had no news of the disaster Sunday morning.  My oldest grandson knew he could call me on FaceTime with NO video and alerted me about 7am Sunday morning.  No traffic lights had the roads snarled but down timber made it almost impossible to travel county roads.  I worked until 11PM getting the DNL's half mile driveway cleared and graded.

Dangerous power lines hanging over roads still present life threatening hazards. MY cell phone lost every "contact" in the area. They couldn't call me and I couldn't call them.  The utility companies have crews  doing work, there are volunteer crews doing work, and there are the always present crooks scamming the public.

Last I knew there were 8 dead and more unaccounted for. Haven't heard injury reports. There will be many more injured during the cleanup. My family was lucky not to get any building or personal damage. I'll be a decade cleaning up the downed trees on my oldest son's 80 acres.  Large Oaks, Black Walnuts, treasured Chinquapin Oaks, Black Cherry, and many other species are on the ground or tipped at such and angle that they present hazard. 

Hundreds, maybe thousands of acres had just been clear-cut in the nearby area. The flooding caused by careless logging operations caused most of the road drainage to be blocked. That in turn created additional road damage.  Half the lower driveway at my son's place was two foot below high rushing water for a time because the drains were blocked by logging damage and obstructed by loggers pushing giant piles of waste into the upper sides of the drains. 

News warns of increased detours and road blockage because of the cleanup efforts.  Police are stopping residents who have little recourse but to ignore some of these detours. Listening to a report right now where the cops have a resident on the ground with guns drawn because he was stopped for going through a detour.  The past mayor and now congressman was told to remove himself from the area because he was presenting a risk.  It's a difficult situation made worse by previous rains, a lack of preparation, and inexperienced efforts.

SwampDonkey

Sorry to here about all the disasters, not a fun experience.

Yes, a lot of critters will find tree seed left unsecured.  ffcheesy

SwampDonkey

65° yesterday afternoon. Sunny today, 54° this morning. Might get closer to 70° by this afternoon. No wind.

thecfarm

I had to look up that beech tree too.
I planted a bunch of butternuts in cups and put them in the wife's greenhouse. Went to check on them and they was tipped over. Thought that was odd thing for the wife to do. Something came in and carried them off!!!
Yesterday was a dry day.

Ladies slippers are in bloom.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We had an inch of rain Tuesday here. Yesterday got to 66°, it's 44° here this morning. Some areas have frost.

Thank You Sponsors!