iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

older stihl saws

Started by ilovechainsaws, January 19, 2018, 09:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilovechainsaws

I have a older 026 stihl saw it has oil adjusting whole on the bottom of saw,but the oil pump that is in saw has no adjusting screw,Has anyone ever seen this ? my stihl shop dosen't have this pump and say they cant order one,as it is a discontinued part.I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen this and how did you fix it?

dougand3

The crankcase must be used for both 026 PRO and 026. 1 adjustable, 1 non. You can find oil pumps-there are new aftermarket ones or used OEM. Search ebay Stihl 026 oil pump.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

ilovechainsaws

Thank you I will check again on Ebay. from research ive done it looks like i may just use a adjustable pump and change my clutch drum. I just wonder what the benefit of adjustable pump is? This little saw is my favorite it ls lite and other than oil pump problems its a great saw.

dougand3

The advantage is you can increase oil for a longer bar and decrease for a shorter bar.  I'd think non-adjustable would work fine for 16-18" bar.  Maybe someone with hands on experience with this 026 will chime in.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

HolmenTree

I've seen differences with models labelled as Wood Bosses. These saws were marketed as a economical priced saws for casual use.
One I saw was a 034AV Wood Boss manufactured in the early 1990's with no chain side tensioner . It just had the simple straight screw from the front.
The 034AV introduced in 1984 had the worm gear side tensioner.

One thing about the 026 with all its different configurations it was the #1 selling Stihl saw for years here in Canada.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

There was a conversion adjustable oil pump available # 1121 007 1043
You will also need to replace the worm. You will need worm # 1121 640 7110
Easy way is to order the pump and worm for the MS260.
When you say 026 you are talking history
But MS260 is current affairs  :D

isawlogs

There is also some sites that make aftermarket parts...(ReadChina)

https://www.huztl.net/Search-026/list-r1.html 

Play with this as you like, or don't like  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

starmac

I never knew that stihl had a consumer grade 026, I thought they had an 025 that was the consumer grade. A friend of mine used my 346 one evening and promptly sold his 026 and bought a 346, still has it. I talked to him today and mentioned that it seems like some were actually different grade saws, he said the one he had was made in the US, and he had a feeling it was a consumer grade.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

HolmenTree

Quote from: starmac on January 20, 2018, 11:22:14 PM
I never knew that stihl had a consumer grade 026, I thought they had an 025 that was the consumer grade. A friend of mine used my 346 one evening and promptly sold his 026 and bought a 346, still has it. I talked to him today and mentioned that it seems like some were actually different grade saws, he said the one he had was made in the US, and he had a feeling it was a consumer grade.
Yes the 034AV I was talking about was made in USA.
When the 038AV  034AV etc were upgraded to  larger cylinder displacement an incentive in a lower price had to be offered so the dealer could selll the lower powered saw.
One reason Stihl Inc in Virginia Beach started manufacturing saws.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Most likely the biggest incentive to move some production to the USA was tax breaks .Stihl is just like Caterpillar ,they are made all over the world .With that statement I'll stop there rather than go into the politics,nice guy Al . ;D

Ed

The 026 has always been a pro grade saw, when the "pro" labeled version came out, one of the changes was an adjustable oiler. My 026 doesn't have one, with a 16 or 18" bar it's not needed.

As far as comparing a 026 to a 346xp, apples to oranges. The 346 is a newer design by 20 years.....it DanG well better cut faster.

Ed

proteus

I have a 034AV which I bought used at least 25 yrs ago. It has the tension screw on the side. It is still running great.  Great saw!!
Greg

Mad Professor

One more thing to think about is the non-adjustable oiler keeps on pumping at idle, while the adjustable one only pumps when the clutch is engaged.

So the non-adjustable will pizz out oil if you let it sit at idle

Thank You Sponsors!