iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Or LT70?

Started by 038magnum, February 02, 2012, 09:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

038magnum

I have narrowed my Woodmizer mill down to 2, but I can't decide. The Lt40 looks like the most popular Woodmizer mill in this forum. I want hydraulics and the debarker. The LT70 has a faster log turner and everything that I want is standard on the mill. What I don't want to do is fork out all that money for a mill and after having it for a while, wishing later that I had bought the more expensive mill.
So you guys with Woodmizers got to help me decide!

1. The ones that have the sawhead mounted controls:
Do you get tired of walking?
Do you hate walking around that tire?
Is the seat worth having?

2.Having the controls at the end of the mill:
Is this expensive option worth it?
Is this the best place to see what is going on?
Do any of you like or dislike the new joy stick controls on the LT70?

3. The ones with the LT40's:
Do you wish that you had bought a LT70?

I know that it is up to the user and their personal preference but I am going to be spending a big chunk of change for this mill and I don't want to screw up.
I want to do like many of you and start a portable sawmill service, so I want a mill that will hold up and last many years.
The LT70 is so much more expensive and I am wondering if it is worth it. However production will be there when needed.
Thanks for helping me with my gas vs diesel post, You all know your stuff!

redbeard

you might want too consider the LT 50 loaded with all the options, It would be a nice heavy duty portable mill
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

JFarmer

I am with redbeard. I would consider the LT50. I have owned both the 70 and 40 and they both have their drawbacks. The 50 has the same turner and side supports as the 70 but the blades are not as long on the 50 making them cheaper!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

Woodey

You would like either mill, woodmizer makes a good mill. I use a LT40HDD with autoset and it serves all my needs. 
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Amax

I wish I could help but I have exactly the same dilemma.

Guess I'll just sit back and  :P the replies and hope it helps me make a decision.  I have a few months yet.  The LT40 seems awful popular though.  But by the time you add a few options you are pretty much looking at the price of an LT50 so I understand where redbeard and JFarmer are coming from.

If business goes well I'm sure the additional expense of the 70 would easily be justifiable... if it goes less than well... well let's not focus on the negative.

Al
A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.
James Allen

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
William Wallace

Amax

Quote from: JFarmer on February 02, 2012, 10:10:05 PM
I am with redbeard. I would consider the LT50. I have owned both the 70 and 40 and they both have their drawbacks. The 50 has the same turner and side supports as the 70 but the blades are not as long on the 50 making them cheaper!

Mind me asking why you went to the 40 from the 70 other than perhaps the cost of blades eluded to above?

Al
A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.
James Allen

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
William Wallace

Brucer

Quote from: 038magnum on February 02, 2012, 09:43:36 PM

No, it keeps my weight down.
Yes, but I live with it.
Not for me -- some likes it, I wouldn't.

2.Having the controls at the end of the mill:
Is this expensive option worth it?
Is this the best place to see what is going on?
Do any of you like or dislike the new joy stick controls on the LT70?

If I were cutting mostly 1" & 2", I would definitely probably want it. Keep in mind that you're limited to a 27' length -- mill plus one 6' extension. A foot less with the LT70. That won't work for me right now because I'm sawing mainly timbers, and up to 32'.

In my particular setup having the controls stationary at the front of the mill would speed up the offloading a lot.

Haven't used the joysticks but I was looking over a guys shoulder as he ran one. I would want to try one for a bit before deciding.

3. The ones with the LT40's:
Do you wish that you had bought a LT70?

At first I wished I could have afforded one. But over the years I'm starting to think that I'd go for a Super Hydraulic with the biggest diesel they offer. The chain turner on the LT50 is nice but I'm not sure if the extra money is worth it (for me, in my operation).

I know that it is up to the user and their personal preference but I am going to be spending a big chunk of change for this mill and I don't want to screw up.

Depends if you've done much sawing. I ran another guys mill for a year before I bought my own so I knew what I was getting into. I still started with a less mill than I wanted, because I didn't have the bucks. No problem selling it a year later and upgrading. I sure would hate to invest in an LT70 with all the bells and whistles and then decide I didn't like the work.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kansas

Other questions to ask yourself is, what do you think the quality of logs will be like you will be cutting? How do you plan on charging, by the bd ft or hour? Seems like the 70 would be overkill on what I see for a lot of custom cut logs. People may balk at the higher price you have to charge if you own the 70.

As far as blades, do you think you will wind up cutting some yard trees? The cheaper blades on the 40 would be the way to go. If not, then the cost difference per board foot is negligible. Another thing to consider. Weight and length. Both in transport and getting it into the invariably tight spots that arise with portable sawmilling.

stavebuyer

I have a LT70DCS. Remote everything is nice but will cost you considerably more per ft sawed and gain you very little in production if your not going have help. The remote joysticks can sometimes cost extra steps when edging on the mill by yourself. I feel like you need an edger and 3 people to overcome the higher blade costs and purchase price.

FeltzE

I've got an LT 40hydraulic super since 96.  With a Baker edger in line.  Primary source of timber is tree removal services, (residential timber) Enemy is Tramp Metal.

Production wise, I'd recommend (if you have help) getting an edger or at least budgeting it. It definitely increases through put and reduces handling.

Seat - I have one, hanging in the barn. We used it a bunch the first year, now not at all.

Tire - Yes a pain to walk around occasionally trip over and sometimes step on to look over a log. But livable

Walking -
  - Good, You can look at the grain and defects and make sawing decisions for grade logs close up.
  - Bad, I have to run the length of the sawcut back each trip, and to the edger when working alone. It's a lot of walking throughout the work day, I don't have a remote, but would like to try one. If I were buying new, I'd get it.

First sawmill? You may want to consider a fully hydraulic used mill and test your market.  I know WM has great service and parts availability. I'm sure the other guys do too. You can save a little initial investment and work out the bugs. Alternatively, come visit and spend a day or 3 with a bandmill owner and run on yourself.  I'm in NC if you want to visit.

Eric

Magicman

I have never used a Command Control equipped sawmill so I can't speak to that, but my option is using a seat.  Of course I have to remove it when sawing 20' logs, but it quickly goes back on.  I have no problem walking, but riding, I am above the sawing and can see better.  This week while sawing some very large Cypress, I was actually sitting on top of the seat's back a few times.

Seat drawback, if the wind is in your face you have no where to go.  Of course when walking you do not either.

The LT70 is more of a production sawmill and to realize the benefits, more help is required.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jesi said I could go strait for a 70 if I wanted one which I dang well do one day as we are pretty sure we are going to get a 40hyd for portable work and see where it goes from there  ;) ;D   I see a 70 being more productive for relocatable sawing plus with an edger and a tail out table or better yet in a shed with The Lot  ;) Log Infeed Deck ,LT70,Inclined Conveyor & Transfer Table ,Edger and mostlikely a single or multi head resaw and three to 4 good people to run it wide open  ;) If your planing on going portable where you will be working solo at times you wont be seeing the full potential off the 70 imho but that being said if you want a mill thats about good as it gets for a portable band the 70 is the ducks nuts as I loved using Jakes mills ;):):) and a 40 with 35hp diesel will pull a band through alot of log at a fair pace as I looked at a Mighty Mite 4B here bout 2 years ago and thought 35 would be a bit light for the size off mill but it pulled it bloody well Mate ;) ;D

Walk alongs good for keeping the mill flexeble in what yo can do with it and for purchase/resale price the comand control would be the option when you know that you are going to be sawing standard lengths 99% of the time  ;) and Like Bruce said It keeps you fit Mate ;):):)

Kansas brought up some realy good points with knowing your log supply and where they are coming from with regards to mill selection  band costs its better to wipeout a cheap .045 1&¼ band on rough logs than ruin a .055 1&½ or 2" band in a unknown log supply  ;)

What experience do you have with portable sawmills is this going to be your first sawmill ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magnum, there is nothing more than I can add here. I have the LT 40 HD. My mill is stationary under my shed.
I am a 1 man show when I mill. I do not have the seat and did not want it. My mill has everything else on it.
I would not change a thing or GO BIGGER.

Me and my LT 40 make plenty of money. I mill at my pace and have a ball talking wood with my customers.

Every member that has replied has given some good advice. Personally, I would get the LT 40 or 50 and any extras will be what ever you think will fit your working needs. You can only answer that.

Good Luck.....GO ORANGE!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chris Burchfield

LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, I've done a little mobil sawing for others.  Most is for myself around the farm.  I didn't want to ride or walk all day.  I stand at the end and operate mill.  If I need to look at a board's grain, I look at it when I drag the board to me to load on the trailer behind me.  I saw by myself most of the time.  I don't think I could justify the extra expense of anything bigger.  I don't saw nearly as much as others on the board here.  I do enjoy operating my mill as I ordered it.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

mjl_2007

I have the LT50 (47hp Yanmar) with operator's seat and WM double blade edger. The tire did bother me some (after hitting my shins on it a few times) so that's why I went to the operator seat and I really like that. I'm 6'4", so being able to sit, I can see the blade better and it just seems like production goes faster than walking with the sawhead. I'm set up stationary inside a building 80% of the time, but the only drawback I have found to having the sawhead mounted controls is when I am sawing outside and the wind blows toward the controls. You can usually avoid that if you check the wind before setting up the mill, but some days the wind just doesn't cooperate. I have never ran an LT40 with the claw turner, but I have seen many operate and I can say that the chain turner is much faster. The LT50 sure is a nice "crossover" mill in my opinion.

slider

038 magnum,i started with a 40 hydraulic 24 onan then later got a 70 with remote station.i do like the remote ,i can saw from either end.i do like the chain turner over the claw turner and the dual plane clamp is much better than the old style.i would say for what i do a lt50 would be just fine with me.like others have said unless you have help and are looking for some big numbers i wouldn't go above a 50 .unless you find a deal on a good used one.that is what i did.best of luck to you    al
al glenn

jdonovan

Quote from: 038magnum on February 02, 2012, 09:43:36 PM
no, there is enough walking for other tasks, that the little bit of saw walk along is not bad.
yes!!!
if I had enough help that I didn't have to leave the saw head... perhaps. But you still have to get out to run the log turner, and other hydro functions.

If I was buying new I'd give very serious consideration to the new wireless control option. I like that it retains saw-head manual controls, but gives me the freedom to saw from any location I want.

I think a 40-super, wireless controls, and diesel would be a very nice setup for what I want to do.

JFarmer

When I had my LT70 electric, I was cutting walnut for another local mill. On a good day we have sawn 100 logs a day. But I was working 2 men in the ground and they couldn't keep up so I had to hire a third hand. The deal I had sawing walnut came to an end so I decided to sell my 70. I already had my LT40 so I went back to sawing with it. It has the stationary remote and it is more easy to operate by yourself than the 70. So if you decide to go with the 70, you might want to consider hiring some help if you can find someone who is willing to work.
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

zopi

Consider cost breakpoint...is this mill going to sit at all? If yes...the forty os the best bet...
If it is going to saw balls out all day all week all year...a seventy may be the way to go.

The parts and maintenance costs go up sharply as the equipme.t gets more complex.

I have about decided the 40 Super with a diesel is about the sweet spot for a mobile sawyer.
Sawing just for me amd am occasional customer? Forty.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

038magnum

You guys are GREAT!
You have told me things that I have not even considered yet.
So don't hold back!
Keep those cards and letters coming.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

customsawyer

I have run a LT40 and now have a two LT70s one that is walk along and one that is remote. The remote is helpful when doing portable work. The walk along mill is setup in a stationary situation and hooked up to a 24' ext.  If your plan is to do mostly portable work I would not recommend the LT70 as it is more mill than you will be able use. On most of your portable jobs the amount of lumber produced is going to be less than 10,000 bf. The LT40 is a great mill and will do all you need it to.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

CLL

I had a lt40hd and loved it, the walking was no big deal, however I would NEVER buy a new mill and not have a edger to go with it. You have to have an extra man but the sawing is so much faster you wouldn't believe it. Woodmizer makes great mills, but most of all is the service that comes with them.
Too much work-not enough pay.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Lots of good information here.
The questions I ask are ( some of these have all ready been posted)
Are you sawing alone?
Are you moving the mill as custom sawing business?
Are you planning on moving the mill 2 3 4 times a day?
Is this a stationary mill?
Do you have employees?
Where do you see your business in 2 ,4, 6 years from today?
What market are you selling your product to. Wholesale or End user?
Do you have a kiln?
And the list may go on depending on your answer.
This lets me and you think through your purchase.

I have many customers who have LT70 who saw over 1 Million feet per year with three support persons and a edger.

We like the command control on the LT40 vs the seat. Not many seats sold in out area but if you go to the mid west there are lots. I had a customer sell me one this week that was never used. It is a 93.
The blade cost from the 40 to the 70 is about $ 7.00 per blade difference.
Most customers in our area are running a 1 1/4 .055 thick blade on the LT70. The LT70 has 24" wheels the LT40, has 19".
I can go on forever. LOL
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ladylake

I'd vote for the LT50, doesn't  cost that much more than the 40 and those chain turners work good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jim H

I saw portable with a lt40 hyd. I have the 28 hp gas and have no trouble keeping two offbearers busy, a super hyd would be nice but in a lot of situations the help wouldn't be able to keep up. Another consideration is how you will charge. I charge by the hour and would have to raise my rate to compensate for the added cost of a faster mill even though it would sometimes be hard to utilize the extra capacity. The other thing you must do is learn to operate the mill efficiently. I've had several customers tell me I was faster than sawyers they previously used that were running supers.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Thank You Sponsors!