iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Tension when not using mill

Started by 123maxbars, March 25, 2012, 12:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I have been doing this practice since I have had my WM. I am now just wondering  if there are any cons to doing this or what you guys do when you shut your sawmill down for the day. After I get done sawing I  leave the tension on my blade and do not release it. Sometimes its a week or a few days between sawing. Should I be releasing the tension everytime I close the mill down? Does leaving the tension on take away from the life of the blade? Thanks for any suggestions.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Okrafarmer

I would be more concerned about the bearings, I think. I leave mine tensioned because there is no quick and easy way to detension it and instantly bring it back again. But I am certainly no expert.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

I always de-tension the blade on my LT15 if the engine is turned off and I am done sawing for the day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I should have mentioned, mine isn't a WM.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

MHineman

When I'm done sawing for at least a couple hours, I back off the tension, but then put back just a little (about 200 on the quage) to keep the blade from chattering if it gets moved before next use.
  In theory the blade can stretch, but I've left the tension on unintentionally and never noticed any difference.  The bearings could fail earlier, but it seems they are built for near constant use.  Probably the most likely is a flat spot on the V-belts the blade ride on.  That may result in a slight chatter when sawing.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Brucer

I always slack mine off to about 500 pounds (20% of sawing tension) overnight or when I shut down for lunch. In these parts the temperature change from early morning to afternoon will cause the fluid in the tensioner to expand. I've seen the tension go right off the gauge when I forgot to back off the tension during lunch.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

Its pretty much standard procedure to detension bands when your done for the day.It does more harm to the bandwheel belts than anything else.Its kinda like a vehicle sitting on tires a long time they thump for a wile.May be an interesting experiment try it boath ways,possibly a sawmill myth. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

I try to remember to detention mine when through for the day but have forgotten many times and have saw no ill effect.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Larry

At the end of the day I pull the blade and clean all the wet sawdust from around the wheels, guides, and housing.  Clean crud off the wheel belts.  Put the band on the next time I saw.  I figure its just good house keeping with all that wet sawdust.

The shop bandsaw has bigger wheels than the mill.  It can run just as big of bands also.  It has been tensioned for the last 15 years and shows no ill effects.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

medic

"The shop bandsaw has bigger wheels than the mill.  It can run just as big of bands also."

Wow.  Now I have shop bandsaw envy too.  :)
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

Magicman

I am with Larry.  I de-tension at lunch time, but at the end of a sawing day I always remove the blade and do a cleanup.  The blade will quickly rust between the blade and belt.

WM's manual says to remove the tension, and I always try to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave VH

I thought about the same question yesterday when I was done milling.  Mine is not too easy to tension, and release.  When I got my mill it had been sitting for untold years, and it had full tension on it, so that gave me piece of mind that it'll be okay.  I look forward to following this post to hear some of the pros and cons of tension or not.
  I just got done milling about 4k bd ft of cherry last week, so I think that it's still doing okay.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

dgdrls

Suffolk Machine has a nice guide with "The 6 Rules of Sawing"

They recommend removing tension every day.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Best
DGDrls

Norm

I turn it down to 500lbs if I'm not going to saw for an hour or so and do the same at the end of the day. I don't turn it all the way down as I've been known to not retension then trying to saw.  :D

Chuck White

I back the tension off, even if I'm only taking a 15 minute break.

The blade comes off at the end of the day, period!

As MM said, the blade will rust between the blade and the belts.

I hate rusty blades!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Okrafarmer

What are these belts you are talking about? How would a belt be in contact with the blade?

Magicman

Okra, on WM (and some other) bandmills the tires that the blade rides on on the bandwheel is a V-belt.

When I de-tension a blade at lunchtime, etc. I always hang my leather apron on the tensioner as a reminder to re-tension before engaging the clutch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I have a Thomas that has a rubber v belt in the band wheels too. I don't back off at all. Proably I should but kinda of a bother on my to release it. I have 2 big bolts to adjust it with. Which works very good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

ok, that makes sense. Just couldn't picture it. I was thinking of a drive belt of some kind.

Wintergreen Mountain

I back the tension off my Turner Mill when i shut it down. The band wheels are regular trailer tires and start off with a jumping action if i don't back the tension off. I think i broke a few blades because i didn't back it off when i first got the mill.
    It makes for a lot smoother start-up anyway.
    LEON
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Wintergreen Mountain on March 25, 2012, 04:44:20 PM
    I back the tension off my Turner Mill when i shut it down. The band wheels are regular trailer tires and start off with a jumping action if i don't back the tension off. I think i broke a few blades because i didn't back it off when i first got the mill.
    It makes for a lot smoother start-up anyway.
    LEON

Good to see another Turner user! The one I use is about 12 years old +/-, anyway, the tension adjustment is a bolt and nut setup, and of course there is no gauge to show how much tension there is-- they told me it's not an exact science. So far I have only ever broken one blade, and that was when I left the blade engaged while leaving the engine idling. (after a cut). It was just sitting there ticking over and all at once the blade broke.

red pine

I am new to sawing but have de-tensioned at end of day. I find springs lose tension over time and relaxing them is as good for them as it is for me. I will have to get a leather apron like Majicman and hang it on the tensioner handle so as not to forget to tension-up before re 8)starting. Redpine  8)

cutterboy

I know it is common practice to back off the tension on the blade when done sawing for the day. But I don't know why. In all these posts in this thread there is not one with a good reason why we do it. Woodmiser must have a reason why they recommend it. But what is the reason? Sometimes I de-tension and sometimes I don't and I don't notice any difference.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

never finished

I let mine off at the end of the day. It might be tomorrow, or next month before I saw again. Okra I bought a pawn shop torque wrench to solve tightness problem. That was after a major problem of a broken shaft. The biggest part of the problem  was figuring out what the problem was.       

dgdrls

Cutterboy,

See the link I posted from Suffolk Machine in this thread,

Item 3 page 6 of the online catalog answer's your question(s).

Best DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!