iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil pan question for detroit powered skidder owners.

Started by Spartan, April 10, 2017, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

I am in the process of replacing my engine in my TJ skidder.  Bought a used one that seems to be in decent shape, but its out of a loader I think.  Anyways,
My current oil pan is a front sump and is broken around the drain port.  Has been braised once already, still leaks.
The pan on this engine is a center sump, which will fit, however, I pulled it to check main and rod bearings, no baffles.

For those of you who have been into your pans before, did they have baffles or not?
Wondering if it really makes a difference or not.
Thanks
Brian.

so il logger

My old 225 with 353 didn't have baffles in the pan. I swapped motors on it and the motor I put in wasn't configured right so I swapped parts from the old one. Maybe they are supposed to have baffles, but i know mine didn't.

Spartan

my guess is there's probably enough oil capacity in them to keep from running dry on steeper stuff or side-hills but just want to hear what other peoples experience is.
Thanks

Did your oil pressure ever do a dance on the hills?

treeslayer2003

BargeMonkey

Spartan

My guess is I am over thinking things again.

I imagine a center sump wont make much difference compared to a front?

treeslayer2003

lol, Brian i do that on a daily basis. i know a center sump would not clear the axle on a clark, dunno on a jack.

Spartan

treeslayer2003

Spartan

Diesel fumes, I swear it has to go straight to the brain.

I have a flat belly pan under my engine and I think the sumps are the same depth, but I will be measuring tomorrow.

treeslayer2003

now that i think about it, i don't think i have ever seen baffles in any detroit pan. i wouldn't worry about it, use which ever one works.

bushmechanic

If your going to be using that machine on hills then I would go with the deeper front sump oil pan. We have hilly rough ground here and the only engine that stood up well to it was a 353 with the deeper pan. You say your skid pan is flat? Most of the jacks had a two piece skid pan which won't accommodate a pan change. Oh to also answer your question there are no baffles :D

coxy

never seen any in the pans I saw   I had a cast pan on mine and  welding it was a nightmare it keep spider web cracking so went about 1-2in up from the crack and mad a weld mark then welded the crack seemed to work never leaked

kiko

A little off topic,   A loader engine would have a single weight governor and the skidder needs a double I seem to recall?

treeslayer2003

Quote from: kiko on April 11, 2017, 08:09:03 AM
A little off topic,   A loader engine would have a single weight governor and the skidder needs a double I seem to recall?
your meaning a limiting speed gov as opposed to a variable? knuckleboom vs wheel loader.

sandersen

Brian...there never has been any baffles in the pans I have had off of the 353's I've owned...and that's several.  All front sumps too.  My current pan has been bashed in hard enough to bend the intake tube because the previous owner ran it without the skid plates.  The pan also was brazed but I've been looking for a new or used one. Used is tough. The best price I've found for a new stamped steel pan is from a co. in New Orleans ($400).  If you pm, me I can get the name for you. 
"Make every step count."

Spartan

Thanks guys.
I will put my governor on this engine.
The pan is actually deeper than my front sump, I measured it today.
As of now it won't fit, would hit the belly pan (which is flat entire length)
But...  I might be able to shim the belly pan down to fit the pan.

I did put Right Stuff around my existing crack and it is sealing it for now, temporary, so I would like to use this pan if I can.

Lots of irons in the fire.  I have to decide if I am going to just put new rings in the pistons and hone the liners, Or do a in frame kit.
then I can maybe trial fit the pan.

kiko

Trees layer, sorry for the confusion.  Often we just refer to a knuckle boom as a loader.   So KBL single weight ,  wheel loader and skidder double weight. Sounds like Spartan is already onto it anyhow.

Thank You Sponsors!