iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First attempt at log tow this year ( no joy)

Started by Quebecnewf, April 15, 2021, 05:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Went to the river to attempt a log tow yesterday . Sad to say there is still some ice along the river bank so we had to return empty handed.

To bad as it was a beautiful day. Winds were calm and it was warm and sunny.

We have been plagued by strong easterly winds for a week or more and the long range forecast is for another full week of the same coming again .

No choice but to wait on the weather . Can't fight Mother Nature.

( not sure why One pic is up side down )

Quebecnewf

nativewolf

Sorry about the ice/wind but really enjoying the pics.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

at first I thought it was reflecting off the lake, but then realized that was the sky.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Ironic.
During the winter, there wasn't enough ice to allow you to cross over to the mainland.
Now that it's Spring, you've got too much ice to let you retrieve the logs. 
You're right about Mama Nature - adapt and overcome.
Thanks for the update.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

i see some line, and in one pic, but it looks pretty light.  what is the mechanism used to get these in the water.  are they staged with roped attached that allow easy movement into the water.  I have seen some pretty smart ideas on some of the Alaska shows, no personal experience.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Quebecnewf

We roll them of the bank into the water . Hitch them into racks of 20 then attach them to the main tow line one rack behind the other .

Still no luck on the machine search . Not able to travel and not finding anything online yet that I like

Quebecnewf

This is what It looks like when ready to tow 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

That sure looks similar to what we see on the coast and our larger lakes. I really enjoy your posts and pictures. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Quebecnewf

Well we finally got a tow home to the mill (145)

Just made it though . Lost the front oil seal on the transmission just as we arrived .

Here they are at the door at last . We have sawed 50 of them and have repaired the transmission .

Going to try for another tow tomorrow . We are continually plagued by strong winds at this time of year so it's a waitin game .

Quebecnewf

dgdrls

Looks like things are starting to move forward,

nice job

D

cutterboy

Some of those logs look rather long. How long a log can your mill take? Or do you cut them to shorter lengths?

BTW, I love your pictures.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

I am still curious about the mechanics of getting them in and out of the water.  I saw rope and imagined an elaborate way that they all fell into the water and ready to tow directly from the shore, and then onto your raised bunks.  Maybe you just have to work you bum off.   :)

samandothers

Quote from: doc henderson on April 15, 2021, 10:41:50 AM
...I have seen some pretty smart ideas on some of the Alaska shows, no personal experience.  
Doc don't sell yourself short, you have some good ideas too! :)

thecfarm

Always enjoy seeing how you get your logs to the mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DonW

Watered wood, nice, adds value but more important makes for better quality lumber. 
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

47sawdust

Very nice looking logs. Clean,straight and nice diameter to handle.
Great job by all involved.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Quebecnewf

Made another tow yesterday . Went well was nice and calm . We only brought 105 this tow . Testing out repairs to transmission . Seems good ( lost front seal on first tow and was lucky to make it to the mill ) 

Sorry no pics . Too busy . One issue I had as I was hitching them together in the water and the tide rose I realized how cold the water was . Standing in water to your knees with chest waders on ( not to bad ) standing in water above your crotch ( not so good ) . Mental note to self ( in future wear fleece pants inside chest waders ) 

We will be going to the mill this morning to put them ashore . Right now there tied at the shoreline . We tied them tight there yesterday afternoon . Was a real high tide through the night so hopefully they floated in in the rock further . Will get a few pics this morning .

Quebecnewf 

Andries

With all that wind, and if you can work with the timing of the tide, the logs will float right up to your mill door. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Quebecnewf

Unhitching logs at the mill shoreline yesterday . Went well . 250 home at the mill (2 tows) 
Quebecnewf 

dgdrls

Quebecnewf

I'm thinking four more should clean it up. Depends on the tide and the wind . 

This one was 105 but I'm thinking next one we will try for 125 . Not a big run of logs so should be doable . 

Lumber sales are brisk so as fast as we're sawing ( we don't saw very fast ) we're selling it .

Quebecnewf 

Thank You Sponsors!