iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

@GRANITEstateMP I hear ya. Having that responsibility of getting people's winter heating ready in time can be heavy on the shoulders. Hot here too, all during July the boss and I went out each morning at 7am and did 1 cord to beat the heat. A lot of mornings getting into the mid-30ÂșC. Some days only 1/2 cord, some days 1-1/2. It allowed us to get caught up on fall orders of seasoned wood. Then a call comes in and a new customer almost next door is looking for 3 cord of dry wood. We shuffled some pre-orders around and filled it. Come to find out they had enough for this year, they were looking for next year's supply. Fair enough, but they could of taken green wood. Someone calls now we are out of seasoned wood for the 2022-2023 winter. Only kiln dried will be available. We shuffled orders around a lot this year trying to appease new customers, it got confusing as to what belonged to who. No more shuffling. As we begin processing orders for repeat customers next year once their name goes on the crates it will be like written in stone.

jimbarry

This morning's 2 hour workout was eventually rained out. The sawdust can only provide so much traction to wet logs. A little before and after. Running a husq 372xp x-torq with 24 inch bar. 3 tanks of gas.

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

trapper

The picture in my post above is wood croches and ends to go in my owb that dont make good pieces to sell for campfire and indoor stoves
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

trapper

Pile for campfires and indoor stoves got it right this time.  For me easiest to add photos to my gallery from my phone and then make the post from my pc

rjwoelk

I just got done 30+ cord of too big for the firewood processor,  had to run them through the sawmill LT15.
Quartered them. The new 59 cord came in and it looks like very few too big logs if any.
On the weekend my son a I drove up to Edmonton AB took a look at a western star truck with a picker. It will be a good asset,  the logging company will not need to send a picker out anymore,
The picker cost me the same as a BTrain 22.5 cord and the picker 14 cord, the best part is they can send a Btrain a lot quicker then if they have to schedule the picker in with it.
This is going to be only a yard truck.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Al_Smith

It's only a mere pittance compared to some but I'm down to maybe 2.5 cords to go and it's white oak .It's been piled up for 10-12 years but still hard as concrete and dry enough to burn as it is .Gnarly stuff .I cannot move those big rounds by hand any more but I do have a tractor that does it very well .Big rounds are time consuming but have a lot of wood in them . It might take me 3 weeks to finish but I am retired you know . I'm just trying to get it cleaned up .

Al_Smith

This started out at over 10-12 cord at one time .Due to fact it was tree trimmer  drop off they typically cut the small stuff at two-three feet and use a skid loader .Then I have cut them down and file the saw chain often because that dirt does a number on them

.There might be 4-5 cords in that mess 

Al_Smith

Last pic .When I have this last skid I'll have about twice as much as I need .I won't use this

oak unless it gets really cold which the last couple years has not

B.C.C. Lapp

Like I mentioned in another thread it was raining here this morning so I decided to deliver two full cords to a good customer that ordered them a couple days ago.   Full cords means stacking them in the dump trailer so I can get one full cord loaded at a time.   But I had Mrs. Lapp to help and it goes fast.  Two cords at $250 each is an easy mornings work.  

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

cutterboy

For the last three days I've been logging ash and cutting the tops for firewood. The emerald ash borer has moved in so I want to harvest as much ash as I can right now.

A couple loads of 8' firewood.

Happy cutting     Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

You sure get a lot done with that tractor!
Too many irons in the fire

Al_Smith

Today I moved the splitter that hasn't moved in a few years .Heavy duty Judy home built .I moved it near the garage as I needed to replace some bolts that periodically rattle loose .I should have shock mounted the engine because a big single kind of rattles .What I'm into now it's easier to move the machine than move the  wood .12 inch oak which I'll make good time on rather than 30 plus inch rounds .

Al_Smith

A word on that EAB killed ash .It's not as rot proof as say white oak but it's pretty close .They might stay standing for 5-8 years until the roots give way then gravity and wind takes them down .I have no idea exactly how long it takes until rot gets to them but will say after 10 years on the ground they are still solid and hard as a rock .You will get plenty of file time on the chain .If you are not good at you will be .

doc henderson

Al!  I like your splitter.  nice and solid, like mine.  can a log splitter be too solid and strong?  I don't think so!   :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Yes that dead standing ash gets rock hard if the bark falls off. Thankfully, up here EAB hasn't arrived yet (it's coming) but we get a lot of beaver kill in black ash stands. It's the finest firewood that exists for people that don't look ahead and have their woodshed full😁 Be prepared for a lot of vibration coming from your chainsaw as you literally feel every tooth hit the wood (maybe it's the rakers, actually). It's well worth the effort though, IMO.

Al_Smith

I had guessed that splitter at half a ton but I think more more like 3/4  ton .  Just in the beam ( W 10-72 ) and the foot plate ( 2" ) and the Parker super duty 5" cylinder it's near 900 pounds .It takes at least  3 people to move it by hand .When old junk yard dogs like myself cobble stuff together out of junk usually it's built like a battle ship .Some brag about cycle speed but at my age it will out run me and I seldom speed it up much past half throttle .

On the ash I use chisel non guard chain and it doesn't vibrate just throws the chips . I file just about every tank of gas .You can gain more speed with a sharp chain as all the engine modifications combined .A dull chain puts undue work for the engine plus the operator .Some claim semi chisel is a better option but I don't .To each their own though . ;)

barbender

Al I'd never claim semi-chisel to be better, but I do run it a lot. It allows me to nick the dirt twice instead of just once😁

doc henderson

In Stihl I think it is RS and RM.  they claim the rm stays sharp longer, but also pulls smaller chips from the onset.  I love burying my boots in a pile of chips.  Al I will have to go weigh mine sometime for fun.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

There used to be a tool sold, it was a sieve that you would put all your sawchips in. If they all fell through the chips were getting too fine meaning that the saw was dull😂

Al_Smith

Couple years ago when Stihl came out with RS pico chain myself and an other guy had the chains before the local dealers .He has some connections . ;)
It was for the MS 200T's .When I eventually went to the dealer the young lady tried to sell me a loop of carbide tipped. The dealer over heard the conversation and broke out laughing then explained to the girl who I was  .I suppose the carbide option would work well for people who don't know how to file a chain but I'm not one of them .

cutterboy

I'm still working on the ash but this red oak had to come down because it was in the way of a big ash that was coming down next. I cut the stem into three 8' sections and brought them up to the barn to be cut up for firewood then went back and cut the top into 4' lengths.

I had to stop on the way to the barn to go into the house for my coffee break. ;D

Keep on cutting.....Cutter

Magicman

You are amazing and it's good to see that you still remember the important stuff.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Thanks Magicman. Just trying to keep up with you. ;)
As to the important stuff...9:30am is coffee time. Every morning my wife and I stop what we are doing and sit down for half an hour with coffee and a snack and a chat. My favorite time of the day.

barbender

Thank You Sponsors!