iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I like that brown color of the ERC.   :) ;) :D

fits just inside a recess made by a 2" forstner bit
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

newoodguy78

Old Greenhorn

I can't thank enough for that work Doc, I really can't.

Newwoodguy, yeah, I do need to make a sled, hardly a shop day goes by and I don't say that out loud. But how do you index those finger joints from one to the next? Then they have to be lined up from part to part. These are really thin walls on these small boxes and I am thinking a finger joint is not going to work well, especially in ERC.

That last box had cherry 'posts' on it with 1/4" thick sides. When I start the next round, if there is one, I my try all Cherry. It's a more rigid wood
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

Here's a photo of a box joint jig for a table saw.  You can see the index tab sticking out just left of the blade. 

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

aigheadish

Those "Ted Corners" look great!

Also, for what it's worth, Tom, I'm offering my personalized (petsonalized?) plaque engraving, for free, if you'd like to try it out. If you end up selling a bunch maybe I'd ask to recoup some funds, but consider it a big thank you for treating me so well when we came to visit. 

This could be a lovely community effort to help you make something neat and cherished by pet owners. 

Also, you asked above about inexpensive lasers and I understand that it's low on your priorities but I also didn't see an answer. I have an Ortur Laser Master 1 (I think 1 is the version number) and I think they are up to version 3 now. The earlier versions should be perfectly functional and pretty inexpensive at this point. You can also buy new laser modules for them, so maybe you could find a cheap used one and buy a new laser for it and go that route. I've liked mine a lot so far, learning curve was pretty shallow, and I didn't need to spend a ton to get started, should you ever be inclined. 21incher introduced me to them and he's got a bunch of videos of them in action on his YouTube...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

aigheadish

Ted, is that a dado blade setup? I've never used one but man do they seem handy (oh and expensive!).
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SawyerTed

Yes a dado makes each finger with a single pass.  With a dado it's easiest if the index tab is the same width as the pocket. 

A standard blade can be used but it takes multiple passes and a bit of fiddling to get the first finger made.  Once the first pocket is made, the joint will index to the width of the first pocket for subsequent pockets.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

21incher

Doc to the rescue again. Great job. How do you keep those blanks flat? 
Infinity tools does sell 1/4 thick blades for quick box joints. 
This is my favorite box making video. Fast finger joints that are accurate and they purchase the thin stock to speed things up. They are making salt boxes but size doesn't matter and once sanded the joints  are beautiful without any tearout. The gluing fixture really speeds things up. Something to shoot for when you get big orders.
0,000 Lazer Project / How to Make 1000 Boxes - YouTube
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

the blanks were sawn at 1/4 inch, dried in my shop then flat stacked with weight.  ran through the drum sander at 18 x 24 inches per blank.  then engraved.  It is from the spalted soft maple I have shown.  I did a thread on drying thin stock.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=116232.msg1844155#msg1844155
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

remember if you have a 10 inch table saw, you can use an 8 or 6 inch dado set, if the max. depth can be achieved.  usually only part through a board, and those are prob. most commonly 3/4 inch, so a 3/8th or 1/2 inch dado.  I found a skill 8 inch on clearance at Lowes (skil brand) for 20 bucks.  I bought a 10 inch years ago that I hardly use.  remember on a wide dado you are cutting more wood, and the smaller dado radius proves more torque.

newoodguy78

SawyerTed thanks for posting that picture and explaining how it works that is exactly the method I was referring to. 

doc henderson

here is the one I got on clearance and it looks to be a 6 inch.  it works well on my 10 inch delta table saw.

Old Greenhorn

That was a neat video 21, but the finger joints are just not something I think fits for this one. Plus a 10k laser is out of the question for me, as I said, I am not looking to chase money, just make a retirement living. Having done production all my life, I am over it, and doing even 5 pieces of the same thing is hard for me these days. ;D
-------
 Well it was another day and I did another joint style box. We can call this one the "Bill Joint" because he mentioned it, and actually, it was my first choice, but I discounted it because of glueing issues. Today I tried the 'tape and fold' method for the first time and using a squaring block inside to keep it all right, it came out pretty good. It's very simple (looking) and allows me to use 1/4" stock which was a desire all along. Gets me away from the troublesome locking miter on thin stock (1/2" minimum). I can see that if I cut all my pieces in single setups so they are dead identical, things will go well. Gluing is always the slow part, but this may be the best method yet for the run sizes I have in mind.
 Here you go, the box of the day.

It's hard to see the glue line in the joint, which is good.

The key with this choice is everything has to be cut VERY precisely and all parts have to match exactly. Not my forte, but I am getting there. ;D

I am starting to feel like a box maker, or at least a box prototyper.

SO I have 10 of them now. I am waiting until my shipment arrives from KS to put labels on the bottom and I have a second order of brass screws coimng in for the top, and I need to make a little sheet to go inside each box for the end user. But I am getting close to putting some of these out there to see if there is any interest at all. Then just wait and see.
-------------------
In other news, I forgot to mention, on Wednesday I was headed down to Bill's to grab those logs I couldn't fit on Sunday before the (predicted) snow covered them up. As I was about 1/2 mile from Bill's driveway I went through the S-bend and found his F550 in the swamp with the blade pointed at me and up in the air. Not good. The cab window was wide open, he was not in there. He had a full cord of wood in the dump. He was stuck in the swamp good. The passenger side rear dually was sort of hanging in the air and water. Folks drive off his road every year and he has a great time laughing at them before he yanks them out and then gets good mileage out of razzing them for a few years after. Austin has been on this road in July, but it's different when it's a sheet of ice in January.
 SO I drove on up to Bill's house and found him on the road. He smiled, I smiled, we laughed. He asked "can you give it a try with your truck, I think you can do it." No I thought, no way, the road is like greased glass. but he thought I could and said it was either my truck of we get the dozer. What the heck, so I tried, and we pulled it out on the first pop! Now I get to razz him for a decade or so. ;D THAT is priceless. :D
----------------
We've been having issues with someone stealing the money from the egg stand. We thought it was the guy with the drug problem, but he is in jail right now and the money is still disappearing. Now one of the neighbors said there is a kid on a bike that stops there once in a while. In any event, Bill is reluctant to put any eggs out or put the firewood in there until he secures it. Well I started making a lock box for it months ago, so tonight I went out to the shop after dinner, re-made the top and put a hasp on it. Tomorrow I will install it and we can move on once Bill sticks a lock on it. I need to make a little sign explaining why we now have a locked box. Maybe the kid will get the hint.

Tomorrow is another day.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

You know if/when you show those urns to your future customers they are going to like the one you hate the most and that is the most trouble to build! Mark my words - I'll bet you a bowl of hot grits that is what happens. :D

EDIT - ADD-ON:

BTW - you can put a note on the sign that the hidden video results of the egg money box has been turned over to the local police for appropriate action. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hilltop366

Well if all else fails you can get out the drill and have a lot of nice bird houses.

doc henderson

could get a game camera for the egg area.  it would be nice to catch them, even if it is a kid, might turn them around now.  the engraved coins are speculated to get there Tuesday.  I bet some old timers would enjoy getting them as a business card.  the boxes look great, 1 purple and 9 brown. ...   :snowball:   8)   :) :) :)

aigheadish

New joints look great Tom! 

I'd hate to be in that swamp, it looks like it'd eat a truck, no problem, Dego-bah style (ya know, that place in star wars where Yoda lives? I don't know if that's what it's called or how it's spelled). 

doc henderson

OK.  Now I feel bad I do not have one...   so lets call this the ol doc Henderson joint.  set up a 1/4 inch dado blade.  make a dado leaving a 1/4 inch edge of wood (so not a rabbit).  do this on each end of two opposite panels 1/4 inch thick.  the ones with the dados could be thicker.  now the two sides fit into the dados in the front and back.  this give that corner trim look, and can be mass produced.  and should make a strong and tight joint.  We can call it the ODH joint if you prefer.  

ODH joint ©   :snowball:  8)   :D :D :D

doc henderson

easily mass produced if it comes to that, and you do not have to hold you mouth just right, like with the locking finger miter style bit.  The prototypes look great.

The "Bill and Ted's" joints sound like an "excellent adventure"!   :D

BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE (1988) | Official Trailer | MGM - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

Well mixed bag today with not much accomplished. I managed to sleep really late (winter blues?) so a slow start. I grabbed some more Cherry off the drying rack getting ready to try another box or two from all cherry. I had some stuff I milled at 1/2" but it cupped when drying (no weight on top, DUH) and I grabbed a few 1x6 boards. I planed the 1/2 down to 1/4" and planed the 1" down to 3/4 for the base and tops. Planeing out the 1/2" stuff I found bugs (larve), that ain't good, so it is piled up in short pieces by the woodstove now. The 1" stuff looks OK (I see no holes at all), but I will give it a closer look tomorrow. Then I have to check the whole stack outside. I am bummed.
I finished up the cash box for the egg stand last night it is as ugly as could be, a real redneck wood butcher job. I took no measurements and planned nothing out, just did it all by eye and it shows. :D ;D But it's functional. 

This morning I made up a sign explaining why we had to put a locked box (which should also, by default explain why there have been no eggs there for a month), then I took it all over and installed it.

I thought a little gentle shaming might work, assuming our thief can read. ANyway, Bill liked it and he put a couple dozen eggs out today and stocked it with firewood and kindling. We'll see what happens. He said I should make another sign asking the person who takes 1 egg out of each dozen box to please stop. I didn't know about that part. Who would do that? :D At any rate, we are about out of room for signs in there.
 Call it a social experiment, we'll see what happens. I also dug out my trail cam and think I have it working again, just in case.
------------------

Had dinner tonight, then headed to Bill's for a little Slabmizing party. His best buddy CJ had a butcher block bench he had made years ago and uses for butchering deer and meat for his dogs. He did have a lot to work with when he made it and it is worse for the wear, so he wanted to re-flatten and refinish it. It is made from scrap maple he had from a job. 32" x8' so we did that and had a few beers while at it. 4 guys was overkill and running it back and forth for repeated passes gets boring pretty quick (unless it is you bench  :)).
 SO when we finished that I 'just happened to have' a new cookie holding jig in my truck and a couple of cookies (actually I had a stack, but didn't tell them that) to flatten. SO we put that up and figure it out and flattened two of them I think I will make mirrors out of. Sorry, no photos, we were having a good time. We never did get to do the (4) 8' table slabs he has had queued up for weeks now, which should have come first. Maybe when the cold weather comes I'll go down and do those for him.
 Tomorrow is another day and I have no idea what I am doing. The weather today was so nice and tonight coming home around 10pm and doing the shop stove I was outside and thought to myself this would be a prefect weekend to be camping. Mild temps with some snow on the ground and a pretty blanket of stars. It's a pleasant 31 out there now. Supposed to be below zero this time next week. Figures, I'll be spending half my time outdoors all next weekend at a music fest. Finally winter may be coming.
 Tomorrow is another day, as I think I said already.

Hilltop366

The one egg missing reminded me of the story a guy up the road (Sandy) told me about my grandfather who had a roadside stand where he sold apples, vegetables and eggs at.

The story goes that he stopped at the stand on the way home to get a dozen eggs but was 10¢ short on money so he asked my grandfather if he could take the eggs and would pay the missing 10¢ later, my grand father said sure and took the money he had and slid the eggs across the counter with a smile on his face. Sandy says to me "I don't know how he did it but when I got home there were only 11 eggs" 

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, Bill had a few folks complain about being 1 short and he knows that every time he puts eggs in he checks each carton to make sure they are clean enough, none are broken and the carton is full. So, somebody is taking one from each carton. It's just weird.
_I completely whiffed on commenting on the ODH joint. Sorry Doc. I like that and wanted to try it with the Cherry I was planeing out today, but you already read how that was going. I can never guess how that will look and feel until I do it, so I will try one or two, but I have to make up more stock. It definitely will be a different look. I think I would try a 1/4 router bit first instead of a dado blade, just because of setup time. But if I have tear out problems, I'll go to the dado blade. For sure, making up a bunch, the dado will be a LOT faster. But for doing one or two, I'll try the router. I will need stock a 1/2" wider than I had been cutting, not sure I have that. Maybe that's the first task for tomorrow.

21incher

Thanks Doc. I saw that link but thought that you were using thinner stock for these. I have been trying to resaw 1/8 material for business cards and small plaques under an ounce that can be mailed using a standard USPS forever stamp but just can't keep it flat. 
OGH I just posted that video for ideas should you need to expand your capacity. Could probably squeeze a cat or gerbil remains in smaller boxes and once the first one is worked out different sizes only take 5 minutes to mod the templates and make new boxes with no tooling. The way most businesses look at purchases these days is not the $11k but $149 a month with a laser easily able to add $1k a month to the profits without much time invested if the service is marketed and implemented. I guess you have your hands into so many things that these boxes are just a fun challenge and not a way to provide a constant income so your not always coming up short as is constantly noted. Sounds like you are a lot like me and always want a new challenge to keep from getting bored and when its over find something new to move on to.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Sorry 21, I didn't realize I was 'constantly' mentioning financial constraints. I had been doing well for a couple of years, but things changed and now it's a fight. I just don't like that feeling and it depresses me. I guess it comes out too often.

But yeah, I don't want to get underwater on anything. I want to be able to decide (for the most part) what I am going to do each day when I get up. Yes, I need the variety. I very much have the "It's my time for once" attitude with no apologies. SO I have, for better or worse lined myself up with a lot of different 'stuff' with the goal of keeping it interesting and varied while also learning new things, so I try a lot of stuff, just for the sake of learning (often what doesn't work, at first). Hopefully I can sell it.

I had thought you did a lot of messing around with those low cost lasers and could offer some suggestions on those. Everything in my past was high dollar production stuff for specific purposes with USA based builds and support. I really don't look forward to getting into programming again, but I suppose some of these menu based things they have now are a lot easier than the dedicated and specific coding systems I started on 40 something years ago. By the time I was 35 I think I had worked in 5 different languages and it wears the brain out. I prefer to save my money up front and buy outright so I am not in debt with any of this stuff. I believe also that if I put some effort in I can find a local person I can build a relationship with until I see if it generates enough income to make it worth the expense to me.

Baby steps.

firefighter ontheside

Wow...I have a woodworking joint named after me now.  I feel so important.  Well, I can't really take credit for that one.  Something that can be helpful with mitered joints like that is burnishing the corner to close up any small gap that may arise.  It will make it look like a perfect joint and ease the edge a bit.  

We only really sell eggs to my parents.  We get about 5 eggs per day.  A neighbor had posted on FB that he joked with his grandchildren that "egg sandwiches were for rich people".  I had no idea how much a dozen eggs cost at the store.  We buy about a dozen eggs per year in the short time that our chickens don't lay any.  I put 18 eggs in a carton and delivered them to him.  He laughed.

I do another joint for drawers similar to the ODH joint that is called lock rabbet.  It's easy to set up at the saw or the router.  I feel like I might have mentioned this last week, but I can't remember.

I have a cheap laser.  I think Cindy got it on Amazon about 4 years ago for around $200.  It works pretty well once you figure out how to use it and assemble it.  It comes all in pieces and no instructions for assembly.  It is good for small engraving projects, but to do something like Doc did with those coins would probably take 3 days of burning.  It's not fast.

Last night was our FD awards banquet.  I received a brass engraved fireman's axe for my 30th anniversary with the FD.  It's very cool.  It was not a surprise though, since I'm the guy who orders all that kind of stuff.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!