iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home-made hydraulics

Started by pineywoods, October 24, 2009, 10:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Quote from: Crossroads on March 02, 2017, 11:23:44 AM
Looks good D6c, I had to do the same thing with the original log clamp. I like your idea for your backstop extensions. How long is your mill? Mine will only cut out to 16', that made things a bit more challenging, but doable.

It will cut 20'....the longest log I've had on it was an 18' x 30" cottonwood.  Made a bunch of pallet racking deck out of it, plus a couple of planks for the outriggers on my lowboy trailer.

Got your e-mail....I may give you a call and pick your brain about the add-on's you've done.  Thanks for the offer.

Aroberts1226

Has anyone tried Pineywoods log turner on a Norwood Mill? I just picked up a used lumbermate 2000. It has a manual log loader and roller but I would love some Hydraulics!!

alanh

I wasnt aware that this thread is where my son got the plans for the turner. I just had the hoses made and soon will

be posting pics of yet another "PW" turner/clamp in action, More kudos to Pineywoods for sharing such a great idea.

Boudreaux

What bore and stroke cylinders are needed for this turner?

JByrd

To Boudreaux,
I built a Pineywoods turner/clamp for my old LT-40 and love it.  There are lots of details, including cylinder sizes, on the first few pages of this thread.  Also, discussion of some of the issues.  Installing a hydraulic pump, getting power to run it and doing all the plumbing and controls is at least as difficult as building the turner/clamp itself.
JByrd

Crossroads

I no longer have the LT30, but one thing I ended up doing was rebuilding the plate that attached the arm to the mill as I ended up bending the original working with an oversized maple that I had no business milling. I ended up making the second one out of 1/2" materials. It may have never been an issue had I used a 12v hydraulic pump, but the 6hp gas engine may have given me a little more power than I needed. Overall though, it is a great design and worked great. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

John1946

Another Pineywoods log turner. Thank Piney and the forum for the plans. I had built my mill before finding this forum  A lot of good info and ideas. Thanks.

Old Greenhorn

Is that a nitrous bottle on your mill?! You must be pretty serious about keeping that band speed up! :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Nice job on the hardlines.  Most people overlook the flareless tube nuts. Handy stuff. 
Praise The Lord

John1946

Mike--- I used flare hyd fittings with the sleeve throughout. I thought these would stand vibration better.?
Greenhorn-- I take a little whiff of that oxide once in a while to keep me going, not really, it's just a temporary gas tank. Air filter is off while I hook up throttle and choke cable.

sawmillsnlumber

Quote from: dgnorton on January 02, 2017, 01:20:42 PM
<sniipped> Wondering if it will work with the dimensions shown in the drawing from years ago. <snipped>

Thanks
DGNORTON - I've been searching for those drawing from long ago.
I have searched this forum 6 ways from sunday, and I can only find references.
Would you have a copy of those PDF's from long ago that you would share with me?

(or anyone else)
Thank you much - JohnC

John1946

Try the third page of this topic ans see if that is what you are looking for.

Thank You Sponsors!