iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My visit to Woodmizer

Started by Brad_bb, October 15, 2011, 12:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I had a great visit at Woodmizer today.  The salesman, Bill was really nice.  He took almost 2 hours with me, answering every question, showing me all kinds of equipment and history of WM.  He was genuine, not like a typical salesman.   I was there to look at the LT15 and the MP100 planer/moulder.  My decision is not for certain yet, but the friendliness, and comfortable feeling I got there today sure does register well as a factor.  I had to have a first hand look and get a feel.  It really helped to see on this forum the mods that have been done to other LT15s to give me more to think about.  Thanks everyone, I hope to join the ranks soon.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

porcupine

Bill was the salesman who worked with me for several months when I was researching / comparing sawmills.
He was: no pressure, personable and knowledgeable.

In this photo it looks like we are old buddies - thats the feeling I got when as a customer there. Bill is on the right.

Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Bibbyman

The guy on the left is Greg Beare.  Another good guy. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Congrats on your WM visit Brad.  Good guys must be contagious there because I met a few also.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on October 15, 2011, 07:23:02 AM
Good guys must be contagious there because I met a few also.   :)

Exactly right MM.

I haven't met anyone from WoodMizer that I didn't care for. 

If there were that type at WM, they most likely wouldn't be there long.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tronvik

There is no cure for the woodmizer bug. My experiences have always been great.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

logboy

Yup, that's "Bear" on the  left.  He was at the Sawmill Shootout.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

OneWithWood

"Bear" was my instructor when I picked up my mill years ago.

The folks at WM are all superb people and it is demonstrated everytime I call or stop in.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

NHHillbilly

Woodmizer is unbelievable, When I bought my mill used from another owner.  When I called them with questions I swore I was buying a brand new mill.  The are by far the best customer service I have had to deal with.
LT40hdg28

Magicman

I think that "service after the sale" truly means forever with them.   smiley_thumbsup

Those service guys treat you like you are the only person on earth.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

I never went to Woodmizer. They came to me. Too easy
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Magicman

:D  They have also been to me, three times I think.  I'm about due for guide rollers, etc. so I probably will schedule a visit this next Spring.  It is just so convenient when Bob drives up and has everything on his truck that I may need.  Last time he caught a couple of items that I had not noticed.

cypresskayaksllc

My first introduction to the WM team was with Bob. My mill needed a lot of attention, it was non operational. Bob happened to be in my area (a lot of luck I guess). He repaired everything that (I think) he knew I couldnt fix myself. Got it operational. The extra stuff, easy stuff he left me to do. He could have racked up the bill but he didnt. Thats why Im asking him to come back next February.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Brad_bb

My situation:  Looking to get an LT15 so I can also get the planer/molder head. 
3 option- LT15 with load assist, LT15 with old trailer axle package, or the new LT15go.

On my visit to woodmizer it was indicated that the LT15go is not made for any additional bed extensions(which I need one or two).  The answer as to why was not clear.

The LT15go would be the best option for me because having the trailer under it permanently makes it easy to move in and out of the building for security.

So this week I had another conversation with Woodmizer.  As a side note, Bill Laham is no longer with woodmizer.  He left after I had visited with him in October.  What I confirmed with another Salesman, Archie, which is what I had suspected, is that the LT15go can accept bed extensions, however they don't want to advise people of this.  I think they don't want people trying to go down the road with them on because it would be out of balance, and put too much stress on the first extension point.  But when stationary, you can add bed extensions provided they have proper support with leveling jacks etc.  He warned to make sure they are supported so no twisting occurs.  I'll be setting up on concrete so no problem.  I may leave one extension on when moving in and out of the building, but support it with either braces, or a come-a-long hooked to the end of the bed extension, draped over an upright, and hooked to the bed towards the tongue.  This would support the overhanging extension like a truss, when moving it in and out of my building.

So it looks like I'm going to be in the market for an LT15go, some bed extenions, leveling jacks, and planer/molder head.  I also want to get a Norwood multi-mate rig for my utility tractor, to move the mill in and out, and get the forks option to move stuff on the farm.  I don't have a need to skid yet.  I have a rough terrain forktruck.  My first job would be squaring up some 145 reclaimed hardwood beams with the saw or planer.

Peter Drouin

NHHillBilly how long have you had your WM ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Piston

Brad,
Your wise to step up to the GO series.  I have the LT15 without any portability, and would really love the GO version.  You may want to look into the autofeed if you haven't already.  I've never used it so can't comment on it but I have read a few good things on it, although reviews are limited. 

I don't know how the price compares to the multimate, or what size tractor you have, but have you thought about adding a front end grapple instead of the multimate? 
It is by far the most useful tool I have for milling.  The one I have has a flat, open bottom so I can still stack lumber and move cants around easily.  It is pricey, but IMO worth every penny and useful for an unimaginable amount of various tasks.  Between that and the pallet forks on the 3 pt, it has saved me tons of time and back aches.  (aside from felling the tree, cleaning up the brush piles is now my favorite part of tree felling ;D)

With your timberframing skills and a mill at your disposal, your gonna be able to make some pretty incredible things!  ;)

Best of luck in your decision!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

MartyParsons

Hello,
The Go package LT15 mill would cut 17'. It would be very possible to add a bolt on frame section to the trailer to go under the extension and a couple more leg supports. As far as trailering it down the highway and meet all the legal requirements and not be over weight on the axle. This would be the issue. The saw head is now centered over the axle and locked in place. If you would extend the frame and add a few extensions the tounge weight would be none. So you would unhook it and it would trip up. I guess you could move the axle back. It takes us about 2 hours to install the mill on a go package. Moving the controls to a lower area takes the most time. I would guess it would take about 30 min to remove the mill from the go frame to add more extensions and use the mill as a stationary unit. The controls would be lower but may not be a big deal.
I hope this information is helpful.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Brad_bb

Marty, I don't think you've understood correctly.  I would never want to remove the mill from the trailer frame, nor go down the road with extension(s) on.  When I set up to mill at home, I'll need to add at least one or two extensions and obviously jacks to support the extensions.

MartyParsons

Hello,
I think it is very possible to bolt on frame pieces and add support legs to the extensions. WM does not manufacture this part but you could purchase the support legs.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!