iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cows

Started by slider, December 03, 2012, 06:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

For all you farmers on board ,we are working cows this week,820 in all.Been repairing the working pens all last week.In about an hour we will get started.We have one we call the jumper.She has escaped every time for the last 6 years.She is about 1600lbs and never had a calf.She can hop a 5 ft fence and never touch a wire.Today is going to be different ,her but is going on the trailer.I will pass on the good news tonight .Or the bad news.
al glenn

fishpharmer

Good luck!  There's always at least one cantankerous animal.  Y'all selling some calves?  Or shots and surgery(think mountain oysters)?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

slider

Mainly worming fish.Most of the calves were cut before.
al glenn

WDH

If you get any oysters, I hear that Red Clay Hound is looking for some  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

If she gets her head up, she will come out of the trailer unless it is covered.  Once a jumper....always a jumper.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Hmm the jumping cow of south Georgia kind of like Mark Twains tale of the jumping frog only larger .

Well since she won't calve perhaps break her to saddle and enter her in a steeplechase .

Now wouldn't that be a hoot and annoy all the blue blood horse people at the country club . 8)

WH_Conley

Around here those kind usually get broke to the freezer.
Bill

chevytaHOE5674

Hauled 4 steers to the butcher the other day for a friend of mine. One of those suckers was a jumper and had no problem clearing a 5' fence. After a bit of coaxing we got him in the trailer....now he is aging for 10 days... haha

Okrafarmer

If I had cows, none of them would make it past first breeding year without getting pregnant or slaughtered. That's how they taught us in beef management class. Any heifer that won't settle is a liability. Just eating your feed and getting tougher. And in this case, wasting your time having to deal with her antics.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Roxie

The biggest problem with putting a jumper on the trailer, will be the hazard she poses to the other cattle.  In her enthusiasm, she might knock others down, and then there is a trample problem.  If your trailer has a gate, lock her in the front by herself, then load the others. 

Say when

DanG

They can't jump when they're hung up by the heels.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JohnW

That one sounds impossible.  Just quit before you get further behind.

slider

First off I was wrong about the jumper's escape history ,she has been escaping for 10 years.Every time they worked cows she would tear out and be gone.This cow did not dread a fence . after breaking out she would go over 3 or 4 more fences to get back with the herd.Well I told you we had a plan and at 8.15 am this morning the jumpers luck ran out.She was on the trailer and gone before 8.30. And as you say no pictures no happen so check it out.

al glenn

beenthere

Good pics. So long "jumper"
Click on the "modify" button and take out the second pic that is a duplicate. Easy to fix, and to be sure that is all you did, click on "Preview" to check.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slider

Thank's Beenthere,can you do that after you have posted .
al glenn

WDH

Al,

I fixed it for you. 

I bet that you are tired  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 03, 2012, 08:47:33 PM
Al,

I fixed it for you. 

I bet that you are tired  :).

Danny fixes mine all the time.  ;D I never even know what I write anymore.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That is called "Post Management"   :D :D :D.

slider

Thanks danny and you are so right we worked over 300 cow and calf's today and tell Red clay hound to rest easy I have him covered on the oysters .We have a great crew and that makes all the difference .Next time we get together at jakes i'll cook some oysters.I'm telling you I have it down and it's just too fine.
al glenn

WDH

Deal!  We will get Jake to supply the logs, I will supply some beverages, and you can supply the osyters  ;D.

sandhills

Ahhh, she looks like a little pussy cat in there, she can't be wild  :D.  We ran our calves through the first time 2 weeks ago and the neighbors calves today, I know why you're tired  ;).  I also work at the salebarn and we get to see all them types, it's amazing what some of them can jump and or run through, they look like deer on steroids.

red oaks lumber

a couple years ago we had a jumper and a fighter. she was meaner than a pitbull crappin razor blades. the only safe way,after several not so safe ways was she was made into hamberger out in the pasture.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Look like "What's for Dinner" to me.   food6

We once had a cow that was a slider.  She would not jump anything, but the hit the ground and slide under.  Of course once her head was under, it was all over.  Fence fixing time.  She was like a baseball player, except head first,  and at a full gallop.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

When I was growing up, we had a big hereford bull that would go to his knees and work his head under the fence.  He would stand up and rip up the fence.  Then, he and the cows would simply walk out.  My Dad would go get the shotgun and pepper his butt with birdshot, and the bull would walk back through the gate and back into the pasture.  It got to where all you had to do was show him the gun, and he would come back home  :).

Thank You Sponsors!