iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanksgiving FOOD!!!

Started by Paschale, November 24, 2004, 11:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Well, we already have a "Happy Thanksgiving" thread, but what I'm really interested in is what everyone's T-Day food traditions that are must-haves, and what y'all are cooking up--especially you Southerners!   :D  There's sure gotta be some interesting things on the table down south of the Mason-Dixon line.   ;)

For my family:  of course, the requisite Green Bean Casserole, with the fried onion thingies on top.  Really the only day of the year I eat them, but it's not T-Day without it.  Mom's mashed potatoes with plenty of butter and cream cheese, twice baked, is a must, as well as the best cherry and pumpkin pies in the world.    8)

This year, I'm getting all "Emeril Live," and trying some new things.  I've got some pumpkin creme brulee in the oven right now, and I'm going to make some appetizers:  some cukes wrapped in cream cheese and horseradish, surrounded by smoked salmon, as well as some shrimp thingies wrapped in some dough.  We'll see how it turns out.

What are y'all eatin this year?  Any fried, grilled or smoked turkeys out there?  How bout a beer can Turkey...or maybe beer keg turkey?   :D

All I can say is:  let's EAT!!!!   8) 8) 8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

WoodSmith

Fresh smoked ham (with the bone in it so we can have a pot o beans next week)
Baked sweet taters
rolls
and some other stuff
assorted pies
and a comfee couch for the final course

HA GRANDPA  WHATS FOR SUPPER 8) 8)

Haytrader

::)
All we need is directions to Paschale's house.....
 ;)
Haytrader

DonE911

Lets see....  there will be pecan pie for sure, baked beans, smoked ham (cause I dont care to much for turkey) bone in for future use, mashed taters with gravey, many gallons of sweet tea, hopefully some collard greens, but I don't have time to make them this year... maybe someone will, pumkin pie, did I mention pecan pie,  cranberry sauce, chocolate pie, apple sausage stuff'n, dinner rolls of some sort, mac-n-chz for the kids....  hmmmmmm     what else ...   oh yeah     PECAN PIE  (can you tell I like that)

Unfortunately, this year the ham and turkey will be store smoked...  with the impending move to GA I haven't had time to do the smoking :'(

Thanks for bringing up this topic..  now I'm starving.

Paschale

Quote::)
All we need is directions to Paschale's house.....
 ;)

Come on over...just follow the snow!   :D

VA-Sawyer

If anyone is interested.... I have Paschale's home phone number it should get you close enough that you could just follow your nose from there!  :D
Dan... I would almost brave the snow for some of that myself. Actually we are having Thanksgiving over at Shirly's folks like we almost always do. Her mom makes a pretty good Pecan Pie so I don't gripe too loud about having to go.  ;)
VA-Sawyer

Patty

Apple pie and banana cake w/ frosting are two favorites, plus of course mashed potatoes & gravy, baked beans with hotdogs in them, creamed peas, pumpkin pie, deviled eggs, and usually some baked winter squash, lots of turkey,  dinner rolls....oh man I can't wait !  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

customsawyer

Yes I will deep fry the turkey I think it is state law here Ga. If it ain't it ought to be. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DonE911

Customsawyer

I'll be in ga from christmas, will they kick me out of the state when I fire up the smoker and toss the bidr in??    :o

Don't deep fry much in our family... maybe french fried, shrimp and some fish..

Fla._Deadheader

:( Got a house full of "Yankees" here for Thanksgiving. SIL took over and PO'd both daughters. This SIL makes all weird stuff, and enough to fill 40 people. She eats most of it.  ;D Weighs at least 350#  :o :o

Can't wait till Tuesday morning. That's when we send 'em home. Should be the last time I ever see 'em.  ;D ;D

Shouldn't feel this way, but, it's tough bein the good guy, sometimes.  ;D ;D :D :D :D

Anybodys house sound better than ours, except for Chet's Smoked Suckers.  I would rather boil tree bark.  ;D :D :D :D

Hey Chet, Fill up the Boss, REAL good  ;) ;D :D

Y'all have a Happy Time, ya hear  ??? ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

UNCLEBUCK

LUTEFISK !   :'( :'( :'( >:( >:( :o
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

chet

Quote Anybodys house sound better than ours, except for Chet's Smoked Suckers.  I would rather boil tree bark.  ;D :D :D :D

Hey Chet, Fill up the Boss, REAL good  ;) ;D :D

Hey Deadheader, you can leave da bark on yer smokin' wood but ya don't have to boil it first.   ;D   :D   :D
Should have a couple extra if ya want ta join us, dat is if da big guy don't eat um all.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

We always have turkey and all the other good stuff, but my favorite is duck. ;D This year my youngest daughter is taking on the Thanksgiving dinner, Bless her heart. I told her, dont forget my duck. :D
EZ

DanG

Harold, Harold, Harold! :D :D :D :D  That was precious!  I really had thought about crashing your weekend, but just couldn't bring it together. You're making me glad I didn't make it. Stand by for a PM.

Paschale, I don't know why you would think that Southern Thanksgiving tables would be strange. ???  We do all the traditional things. There'll be turkey, ham and maybe a roast or two. We don't do "stuffing", as we prefer something edible. Rather, we make dressing from cornbread, the juice from the turkey, and all sorts of seasonings. There are as many recipes for dressing as there are cooks in the South. ;D  The dressing is usually smothered with giblet gravy.  I think that green beans is a requisite item for the T-day table, as well as mashed potatoes. Another staple item is sweet potato souffle', usually with marshmallows melted over the top. Cranberries also play a big part in most Southern T-day feasts. Cranberry sauce, jelly, or mixtures of C-berries and citrus fruits are popular. Someone most always brings some sort of greens...turnip, mustard, collard, etc. Wouldn't be the same without that!   There's usually some ambrosia, or a fruit salad to go along with the main course, too.

Desserts always include pecan pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, lemon meringue pie, and such and stuff as that. There's always some cakes, too. ;D

So, ya see, we don't eat all that wierd down here.  We enjoy it just the same as you do up there, though. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

Giblet gravy  :)  NOW my mouth is really watering DanG!  

I don't know how big the turkey will be this year, but it used to be at least 20 lbs. when all four of the boys were in the house  ;)  LOTS of stuffing (very edible  ;) ) giblet gravy, creamed corn, smashed taters, rolls, green/black olives, apple and pumpkin pie, and cranberry sauce in the shape of a tin can  :D

We eat Thanksgiving dinner around noon, so my mom would always have to get up real early to put in the turkey.  The best part about it was waking up to the smell of roasting turkey  :)  My brother and I have been instructed to leave our dogs at home (lab and a pit bull) so we can have a peaceful meal.

Unclebuck...you having Powdermilk biscuits with that lutefisk  ???  :D

sawguy21

We had Thanksgiving over a month ago, harvest is a little earlier north of 49, but I'm leaving for Paschale's right now for those cucs. Haytrader, you gonna be there too?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

UNCLEBUCK

Hey that southern cookin sure sounds great ! Lutefisk would make Emeril say Bam twice after his eyes stopped watering! :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

J_T

I'll help Dang's list a little 8) We gonig to have his list plus baked ham ,deer wild blackberry cake roast beef develed eggs. Been going to the same people"s house a long time.Went up to take a look and they had about eight pies in sight allready.Anyone close come on over 8)
Jim Holloway

VA-Sawyer

Dang must be related to Shirley's mom. Menus sound almost identacle. It sure is good eating, but all I want to do is snooze for the rest of the day. Leaves me pretty sluggish on Friday as well. Back in the days when I was living 'Bach' style and starving on a Flight Instructors paycheck, my dream Thanksgiving meal was simpler. Kabasa, Mashed Potatoes and Sarkraut. That was the best meal I had for weeks.
 I even remember one Thanksgiving during my days at Purdue. I had flown a couple of friends home to Conneticut for fall break. I ended up in a cheap hotel close to the little local airport. I was alone and the only thing I could get to eat was a Turkey sub sandwich from the only open place within walking distance. It turned out that each of the friends thought I was eating at the other friends house, but neither one had actually asked me to come over. I learned an important lesson that day! Don't assume.... ASK .
A final thought......
On this special day, let us remember that there are many in the world who would be happy to have either of the Thanksgivings I told about. I'm sure that many of our Armed Forces people would be happy to have a Turkey sub in a cheap hotel as long as it was a hotel somewhere here in the USA.  Before we sit down to eat, take a moment to remember those in the service, and those others that may not have much to give Thanks for.  
After you give your thanks, think of these words....

In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost,
The one that eats the fastest, gets the most..... :D
Happy Thanksgiving,
VA-Sawyer

Haytrader

sawguy21,

With all Paschale is havin, we should.... :)

I figure it will take a big oven for my "yard turkey"

Haytrader

old3dogg

Got me 2 wild turkeys this year.
Gonna deep fry one with butter and garlic and Im gonna oven roast the other stuffed with a cranberry,walnut,apple stuffing.
We will have the same old pies and such but I thought I would make a peanut butter pie just to be different.
Some sweet sausage slow cooked in beer was a thought but those darn turkeys just took up to much time.
Gonna go to the wifes Grandmas to eat so  I think I will save the beer for good old ME and some football on the TV.

Fla._Deadheader

3Dogg, I'll take a slice of that Peanut Butter Pie. ;D ;D Yummmmmmmmmmmm Yummmmmmm
   First, it is ridiculed;

old3dogg

FD.
Would love to share a piece with you.Great stuff.
My son showed me how to make it.

Paschale

Whoever's comin' over, I'll see you at 2:00!   ;) You can get directions from VA-Sawyer.   :D

Just about ready to get started on those cukes...they've got horseradish in 'em, and it's 8:00 a.m. right now...I usually sample my food, but horseradish at 8:00 in the morning?   ::)

DanG, dat dar menu sounds like it'd make a Yankee happy as a clam...speakin' of Yankees,  good luck, FDH.  Sounds like you're gonna need some sort of adult beverage to add to the menu just to survive the onslaught!   :D

Happy T-Day everybody!

Thank You Sponsors!