iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbco Sawhead Trouble ???

Started by BargeMonkey, September 04, 2015, 01:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

So I'm stumped, literally. I can rotate the head on my machine, but any pressure and it flops side to side. No leaks, no busted cylinder rods, no clue. I did try and twist a very large tree over last time I was home, I've heard you can bust the tilt cylinders. Anyone else had this problem ? Head moves, but just won't stay, haven't had this problem before.

Gearbox

Pulled the rod off the piston ? gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

BargeMonkey

I called K+D in OH today and Kris didn't quite know, I guess those cylinders are known for this. I've got 2 other guys local with the same machines and heads and will know more tomorrow, not even going to attempt cutting with it especially with a road on 1 side and a major powerline on the other.  :D. Figured maybe someone on here had been down this road with a barsaw head, she just flops over, head still moves, no rods broken.

ScottAR

Wonder if the piston seal is torn/blown....  That would let it bypass internally?   Hydraulic rams/cylinders are amazingly strong when everything is right but pushovers (pun intended) if something is amiss.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

loggah

The nut that holds the piston tight against the rod may have backed off.that will allow the the cylinder to function but the oil can bypass on the threads under pressure.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Brleclaire

You could take the lines off and cap them off and try to see if if still flops around just to make sure it's the cylinders and not something in the valve. If it still does it pull the cylinders and break them down and see what's broke

Gearbox

As Loggah says or if the piston comes off the  rod all kinds of weird things happen . You can still force the rod out of the cylinder but no piston to pull it back . sorry I wasn't more clear on the first post . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

BargeMonkey

Pulled both cylinders yesterday, the nut was busted off the left tilt cylinder. Another guy I know who has one of these heads has done his 3 times, guess it's pretty common when stumping big stuff. Called all over looking for a spare cylinder, they aren't cheap.  :o 

loggah

Its not a excavator !!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

BargeMonkey

Quote from: loggah on September 09, 2015, 07:05:09 PM
Its not a excavator !!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
I got yelled at a few yrs ago after I got it stuck, "it's not a (admin edit) mountain goat" where my father's words. Hopefully have the cylinder for when I get home, getting way behind again.

Thank You Sponsors!