iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lane mill

Started by hobo, December 30, 2013, 10:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobo

Greetings,
new to the FF, Have a 1978 Lane mill, was run with an electric motor before I baught  it. It had not been used in about 7 years.
I moved it home in four pieces, husk, carrage,and two frame pieces.
I decided to set it up on cribbing  near my shop so I could do any work that might need to be done on it.
I have access to a Farmall M with a power pack in it  52 hp. so I took a somewhat informed guess and pullyed it up with a jackshaft to run at 500 rpm. Had the blade hammered for that speed and went to sawing.
That was four years ago. Sure wish I knew about FF then. I have learned alot  and hope to learn more.
I will attach picks when I figure out how.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hobo, where you from? We'd love to see some pics of your mill.

Hobo.....the last person to join at the end of the year, has to buy the first round come 2014.
You may be it.  :D
Glad to have you here!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hobo

First I have to make it to 2014,
getting close! I am from western Mass.

VictorH

Welcome Hobo  -nice guess on the rpm - Welcome to the forum

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

goose63

Welcome Hobo we like lots of pics  :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

bandmiller2

Welcome Hobo, you learned the same way I did back in the 80's BF (before forum).When I heard Lane I knew you were local. I'am running a "Chase De Lane" mill part Chase and part Lane. What town are you in.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Hobo,welcome to the forum. What's all the lumber being used for? Have your own trees to cut?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bedway

Welcome aboard saw dust Junkie ;D

Buddyw

dukndog

WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Lud

We always welcome the new blood and particularly enjoy those with some experience.......they may have figured something out we've yet to learn!! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum hobo! Where in Western Mass.? I'm on the NY line. I'd love to hear the M running that saw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

hobo

You would love to hear the M snort when I'm taking boards off a 20" pine cant.
I'm in Conway.
I have a lot of White Pine and Hemlock on the roughly 100 acres. More than I can get to working full time, making maple syrup and raising Christmas trees.
Sawing makes me think about nothing else and that to me is relaxation. The sawdust pays for the gas in the M. The slabs go in the Sugarhouse  wood shed. The timbers and lumber get sold or build the things needed for the farm. All in all, a full circle operation.
Not bad for a hobby!
There's really nothing I'd rather do on a Sunday afternoon than saw logs.

Dave Shepard

We have a Super M that we used to run on the hammermill. That would make it work, but you couldn't stall it with corn. Oats..well, that's another story. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

arnold113

Hobo, welcome to the forum. I had a M back a few years ago. Good tractor.
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

dblair

welcome aboard , looking forward to seeing pictures of that, new to mine, lane setup .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

bandmiller2

Hobo,if you have a farmall you must have delt with JW Parsons in Hatfield. Their parts guy Frank was something, rarely looked at the books knew where everything was and what model you owned.Had two IH 300 utility and C then I went green and never looked back. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hobo

Yup this one was purchased new
by my grandfather from JWP.
I too have gone green, 2555 with a grapple to load the skidway and a tajfun 4ton winch on the back to skid them out.

Holmes

Welcome to the FF  Hobo.  Good to have another Noreaster on board  8)
Think like a farmer.

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF, 

you going to post some pics of the Lane and M??

Look forward to hearing more about your project.

DGDrls

Possum Creek

hobo

I'll post picks when I get time to figure out how! I think i need to get on a real laptop and off this hand held device.
soon I hope.

Magicman

Hello hobo, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!