Sponsors:

Firewood 2020 ( bundles )

Started by Bruno of NH, May 14, 2020, 07:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

My firewood is coming in now.
Called my customers and taking orders.
The mill is some busy
Need to figure out a schedule to start cutting and splitting.
No processor yet maybe next year.
I'm looking at a cord king.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

cutterboy

Bruno, how on earth do you manage to do all that you do? I get tired every time I read one of your posts.
How many cords do you normally sell in a year?
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bruno of NH

Two years ago I did about 40 cord last year I cut down on how far I would deliver and did only 25 cord.
All within a mile from my sawmill business. 
Lots less wear and tear on trucks and gas.
Doing the same this year. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Bagging up black locust debarked slab wood in 1/6  of a cord firewood bags.
And seasoned ash cut 16" and split.
That also in 1/6 Firewood bags. 

jmur1

Is that 60 dollars a bag?  If thats right it gives me some thought.... Ive been selling a 12" facecord for $85.

jmur1 
Easy does it

Ianab

Quote from: jmur1 on August 08, 2020, 10:16:54 PM
Is that 60 dollars a bag?  If thats right it gives me some thought.... Ive been selling a 12" facecord for $85.

12" face cord is equal to 1/4 of a full cord? 
If so 1/6 for $60 or 1/4 for $85 is pretty similar price. The bags are a good idea though, cuts down on the handling. 
I just collect and sell some firewood as a hobby, mill edgings, limbs, anything left over from a tree that looks like firewood. Then when the white stuff starts appearing on the Mt , throw an add on FB and deliver 1 cube (0.28 cord?), for $70 a load, properly dry and ready to burn.  

Friend who is a logger does firewood seriously during his downtime, but he gets truckloads of low grade logs hauled in from jobs he's working, and they go nuts on them with a big splitter etc. He delivers 6 cube loads, and doesn't want to mess with the small jobs, so we don't actually compete, and I don't undercut his prices. He's sold out of dry wood anyway. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

I try to streamline one or two small things every season.  i built sideboards from oak i milled so i can just dump in a full rick [or stack in two for further trips]

Adapted my little bunk trailer for greater capacity now that i have a bigger tractor

tonight determined that i can unload it in one shot then carry the whole pile over to the limb deck.

And i changed some stuff around so that i can sort off the end right from the saw station.  Push forward if its ready for the pile (small rounds) or kick to the side if its going to the splitter.  I also flipped the splitter to vertical mode and put it right next to the pile.  I sit on a round now and make slabwood crates that i place to my left.  The boy feeds me rounds and the girl stacks it in then fork the crate off with skidsteer and get an empty. 

Really trying to cut down on handling this year.  My joints are wearing fast. 

Praise The Lord

jmur1

I was busy for me too this year so far.  Never did so much before August!  Its hot delivering in summertime!
Easy does it

Bruno of NH

Just scored 3 loads of 1 year down ash,maple and oak logs.
I'm out of logs now. 
And the phone is off the hook.
This will help stash some cash before winter.

OH logger

Been crazy here. Think I'm sold out. Got 140ish cord In the pile. Gonna stop selling for now. Start delivering in a week when I get caught up on logging. I'm tellin everyone to call back October 1st and if I have any it's first come first serve.  ;) 
john

Bruno of NH

Found some seasoned 6' long wood.
Buying it in because the orders keep coming in.
Going to bundle up some debarked black locust slabs off the mill and sell some bundled stuff.

cutterboy

Bruno, you're lucky to find seasoned wood this year at this time of year. Good score! 
Where are you going to sell your bundled slab wood? I'd be interested to know how that works out for you.
This seems to be the year to sell firewood and pine lumber. :)
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Al_Smith

I stopped selling it in the mid 80's .That said I've got about 3-3 1/2 cords split and stacked .On a normal year which we haven't had in some time I'd burn between 4 and 5 cords .Hasn't been half that much in several years ,warm you know almost no snow . 

Bruno of NH

Firewood bundles today
Sheila cutting and bossing and me wrapping :D

Bruno of NH

Started some slab wood black locust bundles.
The wood is debarked. 
Going to try and sell them for $6.00 a bundle

Hilltop366

Do you go by "Bruno of NH" for your (w)rapper name too? ;D

Bruno of NH

SwampDonkey

Nice to be busy when it's profitable. ;D

I have a feeling winter will be in October, so I got my 9 cord stashed since early June. ;D Over 1/3 cord stacked at the primitive bush shelter for snow shoe break in the heart of winter. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nebraska

@Bruno of NH  where do you get those firewood tote bags?

Bruno of NH

They are called dino bags (The big ones)Odesa out of Mass.
The smaller ones I get from the farm up the road.
Fertilizer comes in them I believe. I only put dry wood in them , they aren't vented.
Someone makes a nice heavily vented bag,I see them on Easton made splitters u tube channel.
I haven't been able to find them.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

woodshax

Bruno,

We are doing the same thing.....I use the "dino" bags as well....I give them to my suppliers so it cuts down on "touch time" and I get a better price. I get mine from "US Bag Co" if there is one near you...go visit them.....I get "used" bags.....some products "coffee and peanuts etc" can only use the bags once....so they buy them back and I get them for $7 to $8 a piece.   We do not wrap any more ...we do about 200 cords a year but strictly retail in State parks....by the stick it comes out to about $1200 a true cord.....  We now use 2 cu ft by volume mesh bags (you can get about 1.4 Cuft in a bag if cut at 18")....I get the bags shipped to me from Vietnam inside the compartments of the metal cages for my machines so I do not pay extra shipping....about 20 cents a bag 

Nebraska

Bruno thanks for the reply, I forgot to go back and look until now, I use empty chem tote frames but need more, those bags  looked pretty slick but I would need to store them inside if they don't breath and that would be a challenge. 

Bruno of NH

The dino bags do breath. 
The ones I get from the farm do not. I only put seasoned wood in them.

Thank You Sponsors!