iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree identification

Started by greg eviston, January 21, 2016, 07:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg eviston

I am new to this forum and was needing help in identifying a tree I cut up for firewood. It is around 20" wide and has a brownish colored center for about 12" from center outward then turns to a about an 4" yellowish outer ring that goes from the brown color to the bark. I don't think it is a walnut because all the other walnut I have cut the brown color went nearly to outter edge. I tried to post pictures I have of it but couldn't get them to upload. Is there any other tree that has a dark yellow center like this that goes to a yellow color other than the walnut? Thank you for any help.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, greg eviston.  Are those the pictures in your Gallery?  Also, adding your location to your profile always helps with questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

greg
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
If you look in your gallery (click on your forum name and you will see it), you have uploaded two pics three times. So uploading is not the problem.

To get them in your post, go to that post and click the Modify button.
Then bring up your gallery in another window (easiest is to click the "click here to add Photo.. " line below the post window. Then that window opens, but don't upload again. Instead click the menu button that says "My gallery". You will see all your pics. You can delete the duplicates, and the one you want to post.. just click on it and it will enlarge. There right below that enlarged pic is the instruction how to copy it and paste it in your post window.
Let us know what about this doesn't work smoothly for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Looking at the pics in your gallery, the logs with the dark centers are black walnut with a wide sap ring.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

greg eviston

Thank you all for the help. I havent seen a black walnut with that big of a sap ring as you call it. My wife wants me to make her a table at some point and time so i guess i messed up bad by not having boards cut out of this log and cutting it up into firewood like i did. Very dumb on my part!

Ianab

The wide sap rings simply mean the tree was growing quickly in the years just before it was cut. The last ~10 years of growth are still sapwood, then it gets changed to the dark heart wood. When a tree is mature it's growing slower, and so ~10 years of growth is a lot narrower band of wood.

It's not a problem, and you should just plan on using the contrast between the heart and sap as a design feature.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

California orchard walnut....similar look

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

gfadvm

Quote from: greg eviston on January 21, 2016, 10:13:56 PM
Thank you all for the help. I havent seen a black walnut with that big of a sap ring as you call it. My wife wants me to make her a table at some point and time so i guess i messed up bad by not having boards cut out of this log and cutting it up into firewood like i did. Very dumb on my part!

Walnut firewood? GASP!!!

greg eviston

Again thanks a lot to everyone with all the helpful info! I am going to love this forum as I always have questions come up about different trees and wood I cut. Glad to know there's somewhere to go and ask questions and get good reliable answers instead of guessing. Thanks again!

tule peak timber

Quote from: gfadvm on January 21, 2016, 11:02:47 PM
Quote from: greg eviston on January 21, 2016, 10:13:56 PM

Walnut firewood? GASP!!! Yup-walnut firewood !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

lirachamo51

we all make a mistake once and awhile and some of us( me ) make mistakes quite often,lol. welcome to the forum and you'll love the wisdom that is here! ???
Randy

sandsawmill14

next time just remember to ask before its to late ;)   just kidding and welcome to the forum  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!