iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 211?

Started by Magicman, November 07, 2020, 07:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Experience/opinions??  I am looking for a small lightweight saw to replace my MS170.  No, I am not interested in another brand,manufacturer. 

The MS211 list 35cc and 9.5 pounds which seems like a good ratio of power vs weight.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

I've never run one, but have run a 170, and work the heck out of a 180, along with the hot rod 066.  Those little Homeowner saws can do a lot more work than most people, who run pro saws, give them credit for.  Even the 180 is noticeably stronger than a 170.  I'm not sure how much difference there would really be between the 180, and a 211.  With a sharp chain, the 180 will melt right on down through a piece of wood as fast as that chain can move it.

The 211 is about the same weight as a 261.

edited to add:  I don't know, but if the 211 is pulling one more tooth on the sprocket than the 180, it would probably be worth it.  If it's the same sprocket, I can't see it being worth any more weight.

firefighter ontheside

Do you like the Picco Micro chain?  I've considered getting a 170 to with my old 025 and my newer 291, but the 025 is pretty light compared to the 291 and the both use .325 pitch chain.  I like being able to use the same files to sharpen both.  The 250/251 and 211 are almost same weight.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

The pm chain performs pretty well even though it looks like it shouldn't. It's well matched to the small saw.  Downside is that you have the different size file. That ain't so bad.  I haven't come up with a way to do both. Small saw, small file. I've accepted reality and moved on. 
HM126

lxskllr

I like pm chain, and would like to set my my 026 up with it, but it looks like getting a bar may be a little tricky. I'm gonna try 3/8 first I think. I have an unused bar that I might be able to modify to fit. That'll leave the rim as the only additional expense. I'll see how I like that, then maybe try harder to get 3/8lp in the future. I'm trying to get away from .325 chain. It's the only saw I have that uses it, so it's a little inconvenient.

Greenhighlander

I have had an MS251 for almost a decade now and bought it used. It has cut a ridiculous amount of wood in that time and has held up really well. In fact it has held up much better then a 261 I bought new.  I run it with an 18" (slightly less bending over ) and now use it as a spacing saw/limbing saw/trail clearing saw. 
I do prefer using my husky 445 though. It just feels better in my hands especially when using it all day.  I have only had it for 3 years now , so time will tell if it holds up as well as the 251 . But after a few hundred hours so far so good.
I know neither are the saw you asked about and apologize for that. Just wanted to share my experience with saws that don't weigh much more then the 211.

gspren

Other than cost the 241 sounds like a nice light weight saw.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Happysawer

Magicman

I have the mid-range covered with my MS028 and I also have a 40v Ryobi electric, so I am not interested in heading in that direction.

I am only interested in a 30-35cc very lightweight jewel to nub off limbs, etc. at the sawmill.  The MS170 is serving me well, but I could resign it to the farm if I upgraded to the MS211.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

I'm sure it will work fine.  I completely didn't think about the power over a 180 being used to pull a longer bar.  I have a 16" on my 180, but don't remember ever needing that much bar on it.  I only use it for limbing, cutting down small stuff, and topping downed trees.  It's a nice little toy saw, and I swear it's gotten stronger after wearing out the first chain.

doc henderson

prob. not what you want, but my sons first saw is a ms250 C.  has easy start and uses the 0.325 chain.   8) 8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

No the Ms250 goes beyond what I was looking at, but thanks.  After reading many reviews on the MS211, my thoughts are to keep on dancing with the MS170 that I have.  I don't have a problem with it, just thinking.  At this point if I did anything it would be another MS170 or an  MS180.  Actually the MS170 seems to have the best reviews. 

firefighter ontheside

I see quite a few saws like 170 and 180 on FB.  I don't think there is anything wrong with them, but I think they are people that bought a saw to use a few times and then don't need it any more.  I've considered getting one if I see a nice one at a good price.  I keep my 025 in the job box my my mill and I keep the 291 in the garage.  It would be nice to have a little saw in the garage.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

I went through this thought process a while back and decided that a cheap, light saw should be cheap and light.  It's for light and occasional duty after all.  I thought about the MS170, then looked at the MS180, then figured maybe a pro saw is always better so considered the MS200 (not the top handle version).  But that kept taking me away from cheap.  Thought about used saws, inherited problems, gummed up carbs.  Stopped in my favorite Stihl dealer one day and the MS170 was on sale for $159.  Cheap.  Bought it and never looked back.  It's been really good so far and much better than I would have thought.  Wish it had adjustable carb, but nothing does these days.  When it needs some kind of semi-major repair I'll just replace it with a new one.

FFOTS makes a good point about these things being used a couple times and then sold on CL or FB, and finding one of those can be a bargain.  For 159 or even 179 list price, I'd just as soon fill the need with a new one and get to the task at hand. 

As always it comes down to personal preference as to which way to proceed.  There's no wrong answer, just a matter of what suits you at the time.  There are other brands of saws that could fill the bill too, but I prefer just to stay in the Stihl universe, 'cause that's what I'm used to and the dealer is a mile from my house.

Enjoy your new saw MM, whatever that happens to be.

HM126

Magicman

When I bought the MS170 two years ago it was $159.  I got the saw, extra chain, files, and a 6 pack of oil for less than $200 out of the door.  Kinda like a "disposable" saw.  :) 

It cranks with ½ rope pull and is ultra light and handy.  My thoughts were; what if I bumped it up a bit without much additional weight.  I thought that there might be more MS211 users, but I guess not.  ::)

lxskllr

An extra pound is a fair amount of weight if you're gonna be handling it all day. Makes it less interesting for only a 5cc boost imo. I'd rather spend the extra couple seconds in the cut.

btulloh

Quote from: Magicman on November 08, 2020, 08:32:16 AM
When I bought the MS170 two years ago it was $159.  I got the saw, extra chain, files, and a 6 pack of oil for less than $200 out of the door.  Kinda like a "disposable" saw.  :)  

It cranks with ½ rope pull and is ultra light and handy.  My thoughts were; what if I bumped it up a bit without much additional weight.  I thought that there might be more MS211 users, but I guess not.  ::)
I reckon we're all familiar with that line of thinking.  That's what makes buying stuff difficult I think.  There are valid reasons for either case.
Isn't the 211 a favorite of the the rental places?  Or best case would be if you knew someone locally that owned one and you could run it for a few minutes.  Sorry I'm not familiar with the 211 but I am well acquainted with the thought process you're going through.  
HM126

Old saw fixer

Magicman, I also have an older edition of MS170, an 017.  I have had it since 1991 if my records are correct.  It is still doing the job that I got it for, limbing and light work. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Magicman

I made a Reply this morning about the time that the server or whatever bonked so let me try again.

I bought this MS170 a couple of years ago for $159, plus a chain, files, 6 pack of oil, and 2 year warranty out the door for a bit less than $200.  I have had no complaints whatsoever, starts easily, and then ½ pull and it's running.  

I have an MS310 and an older 028 at the cabin/farm so nothing is really needed, but I was trimming some limbs along the trails and started thinking.  I know, dangerous things happen when you think.  $$

The MS211 looked intriguing.   :P

(EDIT: I finally saw my this morning's Reply #14 above.)  Well at least I said the same thing twice.   ;D

Nebraska

Love my 211. Not running it now, chain brake went and needs a fuel line. My wife actually bought it, so technically it's hers. Wanted something light enough she could run, had it close to  fifteen years or so mostly cutting firewood. Its been a great saw. When I take the time to fix it it will go down to the mill shed with my 50 c.c efco that is down there. I think it would be an exceptional choice as a tag along saw for a portable mill.

Happysawer

OddInTheForrest

My old man had a 211 for a while. Great saw, set ut with 12" 3/8 0.50 (?) B/C. 
Was however one of the few saws that came out of germany with a pistonring-material fault (faulty mix in the steel-casting), so it died after 2 hours. Got a new saw, and the old man decided to go for a 181 with the elasto/easy start due too a shoulder injury. 

However, I've ran the 211 for a bit before getting all "pro" saws, and I like it. Dont think I would throw a larger bar than 14" on it, mostly due to it not having an adjustable oiler. 

Best regards
Odd in Norway.

mike_belben

I dont keep up with new saws so at first i thought thisnwas about tophandles.. I figured the MS200T became the 201 then the 211.   I have a 192TC tophandle that i wouldnt part with unless in trade for an MS200T.   So i go look on ebay to see if i can ever have an MS200..  

Theres people on there asking $1200-1500 for used one.  :o

I thought maybe eddie van halen signed them or something.  Nope, just used saws.  

I guess ill have my 192 for a while yet. 
Praise The Lord

Downstream

I have an easy start ms211 that I bought about 7 years ago new with 16in bar.  This thing has been a great for everything I have thrown at it.  It has been as reliable as my old original eager beaver McCullough.  It went above the call on a few logs and then  bought a ms660 for milling and bigger stuff so the 211 saws normally stuff for its size.  I love the easy start on this size.  Both wife and daughters can start and use no problem.  Just have to remember to slow easy pull not std pull.  It feels like feather after putting down the 660 with a 36 bar.  Should last my lifetime.  I'd buy another in a heartbeat.  If I could only have one saw I would go a little bigger but great for small/medium and limbing.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Magicman

Just an update on my MS170vsMS211 question and decision.  I finally had time to take a look at the MS170 and found that the exhaust screen was clogged so I am back to being a "happy camper".  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!