iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rust is like ice

Started by Don P, April 03, 2019, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

This is a pretty good set of pics showing what rusting reinforcement does in concrete. Rust, like ice, is much larger than the steel it began as and exerts pressure just like ice does. This building was built around 1948. It has precast concrete lintels over the openings and has had lots of water getting into, well, everywhere, for some time. It didn't help that at some point a truck hit the loading door opening but the horizontal splitting of the lintels was caused by expanding rust in the reinforcing steel. We've taken down that section of wall and are rebuilding it as per the engineer. Anyway here are some shots along the way.
This is the door and window before, notice the horizontal splits in the lintels. The vertical cracks are from the hit which was centered under that old tin coke sign. That lintel was displaced about 1" inward and cracked the wall in multiple places.

We've put six wood posts inside under the roof I beams that are supported by the pilasters inside the wall and X braced them while working. We've about had our fun with diamond wheels in grinders and air chisels gently removing the worst of the damage. I've left what I can in the pilaster areas to try to avoid having them buckle We're working in new lintels, lintel block with rebar and then will pour the cells in all of the repair work tieing it into the old. The cast iron masonry stars arrived today and I'll drill and set them after the grout pour to help tie the pilasters to the wall to help with future buckling of the pilasters.

And the rust that caused the splitting of the lintels. Once they split and admit air and water the problem accelerates

I've seen people ask about rusty rebar and folks say the rustier the better for adhering to the concrete, well, no. In important or harsh environment work like bridges that also see salt the reinforcing steel is epoxy coated. Anyway, just something different.

Sedgehammer

Looks like an old creamery.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Don P

She's been wondering what to call it. That's a good name for it. It was an old Shell station but will become a real estate office and coffee/ ice cream shop. That back wing was a farm and feed supply. As a kid there was a place called the creamery that was the local ice cream and soda shop. That's the 3 bay garage behind the dumpster which has been handy. Been cold as a tomb but both my trucks and the Lull have done time over the pit through the winter, nice perk. We're having to watch the nighttime lows but have been getting work done in the warmups, spring is beginning here. Over the window you can see where the worst roof leak was, new rafters, sheathing and most of the water damage. As soon as we get that wall and parapet repaired the roof guys can insulate the deck, button it up and we can turn sparky loose inside.

Oh, I certified in 14 gauge last week, working on 1/4" now and have the blisters to show for it, its getting hot in that booth now :D. One of the guys just passed the test at Volvo which was good news, brand new baby and his job at Nautilus is going overseas.

Thank You Sponsors!