iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking at 7 year old Woodmizer LT15

Started by Durf700, February 04, 2020, 02:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

If it was a 25 year old pony you'd want to take a good look in his mouth but 7 year old green broke? Take it home and Finish breaking it in! Might need new horse shoes and harness but thats wear parts.

I would not be concerned on the bearings. Pins/bushing may need to be disasembled, cleaned, lubed and re-assembled. Belts could be dry and cracked but those are pretty cheap.     
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Woodpecker52

Bearings are sealed! and like I said before this mill will not last long even at this price, he who hesitates!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Durf700

well....  i'm a woodmizer LT 15 owner now! :laugh: I was gonna walk away after a 2 hour drive because I was still considering a new smaller mill..   and I known he had 2 others that wanted it..  and so I just told him, I said I'm here now with the trailer and the cash... and after some negotiating.. we settled at 4800 dollars with a brand new box of woodmizer blades and a box of used woodmizer blades that need to be sharpened.  i'm pretty happy with the deal. the track measured around 27 feet , so minus the saw head I believe my max log length will be around 24'. also the power feed option worked as it should and it did fire right up without even cranking for  more than a second.  the bearings all seamed to be lubed well and felt smooth.

the negatives: need a water bottle..  and new woodmizer decals for the head.  other than that I think I did great!!!! so really not anything big at all!

I look forward to learning how to use this streetrod real soon.  now i just have to get it unloaded and want to try to clean it up. I like to keep my toys in good shape and clean. :)

thanks again for all the help on here guys.  I will maybe try to figure out how to load a pic or 2 up later.

doc henderson

If you bought a brand new one, you would be in the same boat needing a water bottle in 7 years anyway.  great deal!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

donbj

You did good. I was going to throw my two cents in but these other gentlemen covered it. If something breaks after you fire it up, bearing etc, don't sweat it at all. Fix and carry on.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

RichTired

Good for you!  8) 

You will enjoy making sawdust.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on February 05, 2020, 02:29:46 PM
If you bought a brand new one, you would be in the same boat needing a water bottle in 7 years anyway.  great deal!
Actually. given where you (and I) live, all you have to do is forget the anti-freeze one fall day and you will need a new tank. :D ;D
Good luck with the new machine!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

samandothers

You did great!  Now the fun can begin.  

doc henderson

@Old Greenhorn is right.  i have had mine 7 years.  1 new fuel tank due to squirrels thinking it would taste good.  new valve on water tank x 2.  a new articulated spout on the drip lube system.  new hydraulic pump belt.  some pieces to repair energy chain. i did not forget to raise the log stops, (i thought i could gently roll a log off of forks onto the mill, not) and it rolled off the back.  some black spray paint, ect. ect.  some of this stuff is wear and tear and natural injury due to the weight of the materials you are moving.  weather and cold.  moisture.  all take their toll.  yours is just broke in.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bandmill Bandit

Yet another person has been infected with stage II of the viral & terminal sawdust condition.

We really need to develop a more effective support group for these poor people! The only thing we seem to be able to do here on the forum is to encourage more victims to succumb every day.

Enjoy your mill! If your like most of us on here you will be wondering why you waited so long. 

BE WARE! Woodmizer does build bigger and faster mills. The sawdust virus can be unpredictable!       
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SawyerTed

Great score!  We look forward to hearing about and seeing (pictures) of your sawing!  It is a slippery slope.  Sawdust is my drug of choice!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

sadly there is no "herd" immunity, being around others with the condition, just makes it worse! :D

firefighter ontheside

Good deal man!  So you got an extra, extra bed section.  I only have 2 sections and can only cut about 10' 6".  I got my mill from a previous forum member after he was unable to saw due to health.  He was second owner and it only came with 2 sections.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Woodpecker52

Good Deal you will not be sorry, can get any part for it from woodmizer, extra bed section is icing on the cake and power feed.  Hope you have fun be safe, and keep us posted, Put it under a shed for peace of mind.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Durf700

It's all tucked away in the pole barn for now.. gotta say though... I'm buying a trailer kit for it before spring when I want to start using it. What a pain in the ... moving it. Plus I dont like the idea of leaving it ar my property when I'm not living there . Does anyone have a trailer kit they want to sell? If not I'm buying woodmizer one. 

jeepcj779

You could try posting that in the "Wanted" area of the forum. That's what I plan to do when the time comes and I need equipment.

Durf700

here it is guys!  sprayed some wd40 on it but all seems good so far!  now just need a trailer!

thanks again for the help!

Durf700

heres the extra 3 pieces of tracks and blades

Durf700

has anyone built this like "Yellowhammer" on here did?  I sent him a message and asked if he wanted to build me one.  I would be willing to pay. looks like a great way to save your back. 

firefighter ontheside

To load it, back trailer to end opposite head.  Lift end and back under it.  Then roll head up the "ramp".  Push rest of way on.  Two of us loaded mine that way.  It's easier to do with 2 sections together.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

47sawdust

For some super LT15 mods take a look at Forum member elk42's gallery.
Great looking mill.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Woodpecker52

I saw a trailer kit advertised on sawmill exchange, under bandmill, manual been listed for months.

Durf700

my local amish sawyer said he will sharpen my blades for 7 dollars each!  thats nice..  10 minutes from my house!

I will check for that trailer and see if its still around in the for sale section.

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Magicman

Quote from: Durf700 on February 06, 2020, 09:08:38 AMI will check for that trailer and see if its still around in the for sale section.
This is probably it:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!