iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any books?

Started by Bigbo1234, August 19, 2013, 10:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbo1234

As much as I enjoy reading this forum, I'd  prefer a book. Any body know of any books on running a sawmill or how to open logs? I'm sure in the history of sawmills someone has written an informative instructional book on cutting.
Bowen

beenthere

Books written on running a sawmill will tend to be general and for all practical purposes, not cover all the intricate inuendo's that will pop up when sawing a log.
Unless one ties down all the variables but one, and writes about that one variable.
And to cover most of the variables for circle, swing, band, and chainsaw mills -- that book would be some thick.
That leaves the forum as the best access to many knowledgable minds with experience behind them, and quite a few different ways to accomplish running a sawmill.
Just the way I see it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Road Runner

One that I have been reading is "Manufacturing and Marketing Eastern Hardwood Lumber Produced by Thin Kerf Band Mills" by Daniel L. Cassens of Purdue University.  It's a good book and is available from Woodmizer or Purdue.
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

thecfarm

Sawmilling is almost like training horses.   ;D   All have a diffeant way to do it,but it mostly comes out good in the end. Some species are diffeant too. Time of year is diffeant too. Than the type of blade,set to use. Those circular saws I have no idea about.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bigbo1234

I guess the info I'm really after pertains to making lumber, good solid valuable lumber instead if boards. I'm confident I can turn any log into boards, but I want to be confident at turning any log into Lumber. If you know of any petticoat thread on here, please link it, I would love as much knowledge as possible.
Bowen

Kahuna77

I've been curious of the same.. I suppose years of experience help.. but reference books would be valuable for many..  also are there any books on identifying wood.. I see the above mentioned book on the WM site as well as a book on identifying, and a DVD set..  anyone have any feedback on those items.. 

Dave Shepard

Look for R. Bruce Hoadley's book for wood ID. It's not a tree ID book, but actual wood/lumber. His "Understanding Wood" is also great. Does anyone have the proper titles handy?

I think that actual experience and this forum are your best tools. Ask a lot of questions, there's more experience here than will fit in any single book.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bigbo1234

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 19, 2013, 12:11:27 PM

I think that actual experience and this forum are your best tools. Ask a lot of questions, there's more experience here than will fit in any single book.
That's my problem, It's all on this site, but not always easy to find, I would like a book for the quick reference. Knowing where to find the info. On here you have to search and you may not search fr the right terminology. It's still good though
Bowen

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer has a video collection and two books that may be of interest to you..

https://www.woodmizer.com/webgateway/OMshopDetail.aspx?category=wedu&title=Educational

Your state forestry department may have a lending library also.

Books are fine. They will at least give you a clue and get you familiar with the special language,  etc. But you'll have to make sawdust before it comes together.   It would help to have a mentor to bridge the gap between books and going it alone.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

It appears that the booklets that were once available from WM are now videos.  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Here is a link to a bunch of pubs.  Not included is
SAWING, EDGING, AND TRIMMING HARDWOOD LUMBER which is published by the Forest Products Society
forestandwildlifeecology.wisc.edu/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/73.PDF
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Larry

Quote from: Road Runner on August 19, 2013, 10:55:17 AM
One that I have been reading is "Manufacturing and Marketing Eastern Hardwood Lumber Produced by Thin Kerf Band Mills" by Daniel L. Cassens of Purdue University.  It's a good book and is available from Woodmizer or Purdue.

And here is the online link if ya want to read it for free.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/werc/thin%20kerf%20band%20mills/FNR-435-manufacturing-marketing-thin-kerf.pdf

It is a big download.

The link Dr Gene posted is also an interesting read.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fat olde elf

Hoadley's books are on my shelf.  I just mailed my 1989 copy of of Will Mallof's "Chainsaw Lumbermaking" to Dr.Buck.  I have all of the Peterson Field  Guides including Eastern Trees. I also have Taylors Guide to Trees. By far my most treasured ID resource is a "retired" forester in Georgia who goes by WDH.
To avoid being embarrassed or appearing stupid I send Danny a photo for help instead of posting it. The knowledge Base on the Forum is most excellent but you need to be super specific with your needs. Say your prayers.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

drobertson

I've read more than I care to about the perfect scenario, one that what to saw, cook, sew, garden, or anything else that requires experience,  must learn by doing, books are good for motivation, not learning the facets of any given trade,  david,  just my humble opinion, lots of folks make money on telling one how to do many things by writing books without ever paying the hard sweat dues, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

Quote from: drobertson on August 19, 2013, 07:31:02 PM
I've read more than I care to about the perfect scenario, one that what to saw, cook, sew, garden, or anything else that requires experience,  must learn by doing, books are good for motivation, not learning the facets of any given trade,  david,  just my humble opinion, lots of folks make money on telling one how to do many things by writing books without ever paying the hard sweat dues,

I'm reminded of the second Bob Newhart show where he is an inn keeper in Vermont and writes how-to books.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

:D :D,   Love Bob Newhart, never gave this a thought, but a good one for sure bibby!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

One other thing to keep in mind is the search button on the forum here, is your friend. ;) I can't think of much we haven't covered over the years.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: drobertson on August 19, 2013, 08:24:33 PM
:D :D,   Love Bob Newhart, never gave this a thought, but a good one for sure bibby!   david

He was the straight man with all the rest of the cast being ceazy.  George Utley, Larry, Darryl and Darryl and so on.  I can remember the episode where Bob was looking forward to carving the Christmas turkey.   The big bird was setting in front of him and they turned thanks.  As soon as the amen was said,  Larry, Darryl and Darryl leaped forward and ripped the turkey apart with their bare hands.  Funny stuff.
Sawing since '94

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Lots if information every month in SAWMILL & WOODLOT magazine also.  Usually two articles in each issue about sawmilling and one on drying, plus some on forestry.

You can see more about this magazine on an advertisement near the top, left of this page.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

manoverboard

I took some of the advice posted, purchased several books and ordered Sawmill & Woodlot magazine as well. I also found this PDF it is really informative but it does not get too deep, good IMHO, for us newbies...

http://www.ahec.org/hardwoods/pdfs/IllustratedGradingGuide.pdf
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Bigbo1234

I also ordered the magazine. I think it will be very helpful.
Bowen

GAB

Bigbo1234:
Books are nice, but remember that frequently they are written by people who do a little research on an issue and then write a book.  It give you a general overview and not much meat and potatoes or nuts and bolts, take your pick.
My dad once said you can learn to plow from reading a book, but thing look a whole lot different behind a mule or horse in rocky ground.  It also helps to bring out the sailor type of language.  Who said the Almighty did not have a sense of humor?  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!