iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How does your winter look like !!!

Started by isawlogs, January 08, 2010, 04:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Today was a nice day to get the cobwebs off the snow shoes and do something different after pushing snow   ::)

The trail going up to the bush , really nice with all the new snow cliing to the branches.

These two hemoroids make snowshoing a little diffecult at times ...  ::)  They are sitting/standing/walking on the ends of the snowshoe  >:(  :D

Once in a while ya can get them to fetch a stick and break the trail , but seams like it gets old for them real quick , and they manuver back to the broken trail by you know who ...  :D

These are the snowshoes I use , these have some history behind them , they have walked to the North Pole from Ward hunt island.

My girls where waiting when we got back . Some may remember the colt we had about 18 month ago .. well she grew some .  :D  Mother Mousse to the right and Zoé to the left.

If you have some winter pics you want to share , feel free to put them in with this one .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Marcel, is that an old logging trail you shoe on. Out behind my cousin's place, whom lives 30 miles from here, there is a nice old logging road from the 60's that one of the neighbors keeps open by cutting the windfall out. He has also built other trails on timber company land. He hunts and traps out there and has a camp. Anyway, sure is nice trail he keeps open. When visiting with my uncle a couple times before Christmas I would walk those old trails and roads for half a day. Seemed like 6 or 8 miles way back around there. Was a full morning walk. Did it every day. We haven't a whole lot of snow here, it's settled a lot over Christmas. Been so mild, it's crusty here. Can't wait to get out on the snow sled and bust trail.  ;D You don't look to have a whole lot of snow yet, still can see fence and goldenrod/weeds. ;)

Nice horses. I can understand about the dogs getting in the trail breakers way. :D They ain't stupid, and sometimes they get little snacks, they (each one) just want to be the first to get'm. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

It looks like this.
I haven't had the snow shoes out for a few years there has not been enough snow to bother may be this year.
Nice pics by the way, and who was wearing those shoes when they went to the pole?
Need more info, stop teasing me. :D

jim king

SwampDonkey and Hilltop

Beautiful photos.  It got cold here last night also , below 80.  I sure would like to go ice fishing for a few days.

SwampDonkey

Jim, tell your little wrapped bundle there it's all Marcel's fault.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Nice photos everyone.   Marcel are those chocolate labs?   Jim, I seen a fella in town the other day when it got in the teens that looked a lot like your little buddy. What's his name?
Hilltop, she sure looks like she is having fun in the snow.  Maybe I can get some pics up here in a day to two.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Hilltop
Them the northern lights?   ;D

Cute snow shoveler.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Marcel,

That sure is a lot of snow!  Do you normally have that much?   I like your two snow-shoe weights  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jim king

fishpharmer:

QuoteWhat's his name?

His name is Bin Laden,  you can imagine why.

Tom

red oaks lumber

my winter looks the same every year, white, cold and long. can't wait for "mud season" sorry if i don't have the same enthusian as you all do, from here to spring it feels like..
maybe like forever. l.o.l.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

moonhill

Hemorrhoids fowling your snowshoes :o, that must be offal?  

I prefer X-country skis, waxable and metal edges.  That looks like some nice fluffy snow, I am jealous.  The animals are beautiful.  

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

WDH

Quote from: Tom on January 08, 2010, 08:57:39 PM
I sent him all of ours, WDH  :D

Good old Southern Hospitality  :D. 

I like the pic of winter idea.  I need to take some tomorrow around here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Stephen Alford

logon

sawguy21

Probably cutting my lawn in another month or so.  ;D Middle of the monsoon season here but at least it ain't 46 below like where I came from.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Coon

....and just where did you come from....... :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brucer

Marcel, my winter looks like yours, only with more snow and steeper slopes.

I use traditional Algonquin snowshoes, Barb likes the 4' long Alaskan ones.

Our Norwegian Elkhound insists on being out front. Unfortunately for us, his idea of breaking trail in deep snow is to leap ahead. That means alternating patches of deep unbroken snow and  a big hole. That's the reason for the traditional snowshoes ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

isawlogs

Bruce , I have a set of traditional snow shoes also, but , these are so much lighter and easier to manoeuver around trees and they dont get wet and heavy .  ;) It would also mean for me to have too dead beat labs on each one .   :D >:( ::) :D

Yes it is an old logging trail that I have somewhat restored it looks closed in , but it really is not , those limbs where just a little overloaded with ice and snoe , once you hit them with the ski pole , they get out of the way

SD, we have close to two feet so far it is ggod enough for me , just right for shoing
  Hilltop, Richard Weber, a good friend of mine , I have a thread here somewheres about the North pole trip he did with these snowshoes . I like the decorations/lighting you hace on the house ,  :)
  Fish , yes , they are a mix of lab and golden retreiver. In the litter there where two Chocolats , two black and two yellars and a black and white  ::) I took the two chocolats , male/female
  WDH , this is only early January , it will get deeper , but usualy gets to about three feet then comes down , and ocilates between two to three feet . Tom, what could we northerners do with out your help  :P :-\ ;D
  Stephen , ya got that horse where we could see the whole thing , is it yours , whats its name ???
  Jim , do you train those to fetch things for you up in the trees ???

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

This is what my BIL's winter looks like this afternoon in Mountain City Tenn.
17 Deer just outside his window.

hollywoodmfg

this is what winter looks like in Panama, NY

Stephen Alford

Ah mon ami, sadly she belongs to another, such is the way with these matters of amour. :'(
logon

nas

Quote from: Stephen Alford on January 10, 2010, 10:03:14 AM
Ah mon ami, sadly she belongs to another, such is the way with these matters of amour. :'(
x2 >:(
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SwampDonkey

Pretty wet and sloppy most of the month of February actually. Last 4 or 5 days the snow has been melting around the clock. Here is the snow in the middle of my woods today. I was out doing some measuring and the woods is wet from the ground up to 30 feet over my head with the needles holding lots of wet stuff from last night. I was a little wet from that walk to say the least. ;D

A pack of coyotes (3 of'm from what I could tell) musta been at a meet and greet this morning in the adjacent field. They barked and howled for 5 minutes, then they all shut up and not another peep. I kept an eye out for'm but nay a coyote in sight. :D  Did see some fresh otter tracks on the way back to the car, headed to the beaver pond.

chevytaHOE5674

Our winter is about the same as always, in a little snow drought as of recently... But for the season we are about average. Here are some pictures from the weekend.

Thank You Sponsors!