iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How does your winter look like !!!

Started by isawlogs, January 08, 2010, 04:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

My brother's favorite horse growing up was named Whiskey! On a sad note my dad sold him and my brother was devastated....too bad we couldn't of sold him instead. ;D

He's a beauty Roxie, are you going to keep him?

MtnDoo

Great pics!!

We're up to about 429" of snowfall this season with a 79" base at 10,200'.
So, it's about average, maybe a little low overall.

Here's a pic of clearing snow around our cabin with a 2003 BR2000 snowcat.
Irwin Townsite, Colorado just west of Crested Butte.

WDH

Looks like you drove that snowcat on the roof  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MtnDoo

WDH - LOL!  I don't think the roof would quite hold the cat (18,000lbs).   That was just my feeble attempt at clearing the roof, before hiring a snow-removal crew.  What you see in the vertical opening on the roof is a ladder I have attached to the ridge.  There is about 3-4' of standing snow on the roof. 

But the cat is about 7-8' above the ground in that picture.  hehe.

stonebroke

I wonder what your snowload is?

Stonebroke

MtnDoo

Stonebrooke - we're designed for 160lbs/sq-ft.
1/2 way through construction, the engineer made us replace some of the horizontal wood logs in our post & beam roof support structure with steel.  When I visit the south, or Ohio I can't believe how simple/inexpensive the roof structures are!

;-)

MD.

Patty

Roxie, your little colt, Whiskey, is a real beauty! I can't believe your pasture is so green already, we are just now getting rid of the last of our snow. This morning I see the neighbor is putting on his anhydrous, so I guess spring is truly here!!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

stonebroke

Quote from: MtnDoo on March 29, 2010, 09:45:59 AM
Stonebrooke - we're designed for 160lbs/sq-ft.
1/2 way through construction, the engineer made us replace some of the horizontal wood logs in our post & beam roof support structure with steel.  When I visit the south, or Ohio I can't believe how simple/inexpensive the roof structures are!

;-)

MD.

That must be because you have that nice dry snow. Places in the Adirondacks have a 200lb snowload. Down south it is zero .  That is why the chicken houses fall down when they get a little snow.

Stonebroke

MtnDoo

Our engineer says it will hold over 200lb/sqft, but it is only submitted for 160 on the plans.

While our snow falls light & dry, the strong sun and fast melt-freeze cycle consolidates our layers quckly increasing the per sq/ft loading beyond say mid-west snowpack.  Our top layer (1-4') can be fluffy, but below it is a solid, heavy pain-in-the-you-know-what to shovel base.

Here are a few pictures of our snow from 2008 Winter where we got literally 1000" of snowfall.
I measured 14' of standing base.  Our neighbor's A-Frame picture is the best.

http://www.bryndal.com/Irwin/

Thank You Sponsors!