iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weight on me

Started by caveman, June 23, 2016, 10:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

The October before last, 2014, I agreed to take our school's forestry team fishing if they won the national FFA Forestry CDE.  I did not think they had a snowball's chance of winning.  They won and now it is time to pay the piper-so to speak.  Two of them are in forestry school at UF and the other boy is an ag business and animal science major while the girl on the team has to work on Sunday.  I have run through a lot of my one ounce weights so this evening I melted down some lead and made a few more.  Hopefully we will find some fish on Sunday and have a good day on the water.  If the weather cooperates, we will probably head out 25 or so miles and try for some grouper and snapper.  Regardless, there will be plenty of lead on board to sink the bait to the bottom.

Caveman

hopm

what are you finding as sources for lead....it is getting harder and harder for me to find

Ljohnsaw

That looks like some sheets of soft lead on the floor - Sweet!

I used a bunch of tire weights.  I would go out on a lunch time walk and pick up a few ounces every day.  There was a tire shop nearby and I think they sometimes didn't get them put on right ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

starmac

Awe man, use zinc for them fishing weights, save that lead for bullets. lol

Good luck on your fishing trip.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

caveman

Most of that lead has been in my shop for 20 years.  I did melt down about 10 pounds of dive weights last night.  Most divers now prefer the vinyl coated weights for their weight belts.  Many years ago a friend gave me 6' piece of 6" lead pipe.  When I unloaded that from the back of the truck, it certainly pushed my back pockets together.  When we needed lead to melt, we would just hack off some of that pipe with an axe.  The sheets of lead on the floor are actually roof vent pipe covers.

The first set of weights we ever made were made out of used tire weights.  This was the dirtiest lead I have ever used.  We spent more time scooping out impurities with a slotted spoon than we did pouring weights.  These days we go through a lot less weight than we used to since we do not fish as often.
Caveman

Raider Bill

Where are you going out of?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

caveman

Raider Bill, we will be leaving out of Passage Key Inlet at the north end of Anna Maria Island (pronounced Muh-rye-uh) by the old Crackers-don't really hear that much anymore. 
Caveman

Caveman

Raider Bill

Yepper I know where that is. You all should have great weather! Happy fishing.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DelawhereJoe

I'll be down in Cortez for a week this winter, my wifes uncle is renting a place down there for 7 months, I'll have to hit you up for some good beach side  fishing locations.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

Just start melting down hotwheel and matchbox cars for your zinc, go around and hit up all the yardsales 10 cents a piece or less.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Chuck White

I used to drop off a 5-gallon pail at some of the shops that sold and balanced tires and they would put the old wheel-weights in the pail and I would make my rounds every once in a while and pick them up, always leaving a pail.

Now I have about 1½ 5-gallon pails of weights!

I mostly make cast bullets with it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Czech_Made

I buy led on ebay, about $1.20 - $1.30 a pound shipped, the price fluctuates somewhat.  Never had luck with tire shops.

Still shoot 100 rounds of 44 Magnum for about $10  ;D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Chuck White on June 24, 2016, 10:39:30 AM
I used to drop off a 5-gallon pail at some of the shops that sold and balanced tires and they would put the old wheel-weights in the pail and I would make my rounds every once in a while and pick them up, always leaving a pail.

Now I have about 1½ 5-gallon pails of weights!

I mostly make cast bullets with it!
I tried that.  They would not do it.  You see, lead "is known to cause cancer in the state of California", and it would be unlawful of them to give it away.  It has to go to a toxic waste facility... probably in Oregon or Nevada where it doesn't cause cancer... ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sandhills

Back in the day (old saying) when we had our stock car we melted down old tire weights by the bucket full as Chuck said, the tire places would give them to us just to get rid of them.

Magicman

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on June 24, 2016, 09:24:41 AM
Just start melting down hotwheel and matchbox cars for your zinc, go around and hit up all the yardsales 10 cents a piece or less.
It would be my luck that I would melt a $2500 vintage matchbox car!!    :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Mr. Magicman, I still have about 60 pounds of lead on hand to melt before I melt your $2500 Magic Bus, Um, Matchbox car.

Delawhere, I don't have a lot of experience fishing the area in the winter.  I have fished the warmer months since I was a kid.  There are some good spots right in Cortez for trout, snook and red fish.  Shrimp would be my bait of choice for winter fishing if using live bait.
Caveman
Caveman

petefrom bearswamp

NY in its wisdom has banned lead wheel weights.
Luckily I have 100 lbs or so on hand.
Caveman maybe I'll get to visit this winter.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

I have a 55gal drum hid full of old lead sink/sewer drains may need it some time :) out of site out of mind    i sold ??? a lot of it a few years ago was getting 2.05 a pound for it wish I would have keep it  now

starmac

Pretty much all, wheel weights are now inc or steel, maybe all of them, lead has pretty much been outlawed as far as wheel weights go.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Chuck White

I noticed the difference a few years ago.

When melting wheel weights, the lead ones will melt and the zinc ones will just sit there, if you have the temp set correctly, the pot will just get hot enough to melt the lead and you then skim the zinc off the top.

Later on, put the zinc ones back in the pot and turn up the heat and melt it and make some zinc ingots, just don't get the 2 mixed up.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

caveman

Update on the offshore trip.  We went 25 miles offshore but did not do much.  We had great weather, perfect seas but the fish did not cooperate.  We fished spots that in the past have done well for us.  On the way back in, we intended to fish two wrecks but there were boats on them so we passed. 
We did fish near shore and caught quite a few mangrove snapper and a couple of good flounder.  Every day since, we have caught our limit of mangrove snapper each trip.  We blackened them tonight and smothered the filets in mangos-muy Bueno. 
Caveman

petefrom bearswamp

good on the fishing and the eating
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!