iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Information help about a mill found for sale

Started by slider, January 11, 2012, 09:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

mill for sale.A friend called tonight looking at a 1996 lt 40 hydraulic 24 onan with 5600 hrs estate sale.The seller is not sure of wether the engine has been replaced.I'm thinking that's way too many hrs on an original motor.The mill has been well maintained according the the seller.I don't have any more details at this time.Asking price is 14,000 but negotiable .What do think ? been on the exchange but I would rather here from some sawyers.Thanks  al
al glenn

zopi

5600 hours is alot of wear...if the mill has been well protected amd well maintained, the price might not be bad....but if it looks lile it has been hit by a rusty bus...might be a little high.
One good indicator of conscientious maintenance is the roller bearings underneath the main rail...if they are not wore out and stuck, the rest of the mill is almost certaonly worth delving into.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Larry

A couple just sold here.  One minty and the other rode hard but worth the money.  Do a search in the for sale too get a feel for prices.  Just remember asking and hand shakin price may be quite different.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

Al, I don't think that sounds like a bad price.

My mill is the same as that one, only it's a '95.

As already mentioned, might be high hours, but a lot depends on the maintenance of the mill.

Are there any extras (sharpener, setter, peavey, cant hook, blades, spare parts) that go with it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdtuttle

Get the serial number & call woodmizer. They have an orange book value for used mills. They also keep a record on all replacement parts sold to each mill.
jim
Have a great day

1crowfarm

Hello my sawmill is a lt40hd built in 1996 less that 2 thousand hours and I paid around the asking price of the one you are looking at.
From watching auctions Ebay,IRS and Associated Auctions services I figure my mill would probably sell for between 10 to 12 thousand dollars in a auction in todays ecomony just my opinion.

slider

were on the same page. crowfarm I was about where you are on the price juat depends on what shape it's in and like chuck said ,what comes with it.Don't know all the details yet.I do like the idia of getting the history from woodmizer. thanks  al
al glenn

Dave VH

there is an 2004 lt40 here in Michigan with less than 500 hrs for the same price, I don't know what comes with it, it's a 28hp gas engine.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

CalebL

Quote from: slider on January 11, 2012, 09:45:18 PM
mill for sale.A friend called tonight looking at a 1996 lt 40 hydraulic 24 onan with 5600 hrs estate sale.The seller is not sure of wether the engine has been replaced.I'm thinking that's way too many hrs on an original motor.The mill has been well maintained according the the seller.I don't have any more details at this time.Asking price is 14,000 but negotiable .What do think ? been on the exchange but I would rather here from some sawyers.Thanks  al

I didn't pay much more for a 2005 LT40HDD34 with a debarker, simple setworks and it had less than 500 hours.  I actually found it on the woodmizer used mill website.  I went and looked at it, made an offer, and he accepted it. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

ChuckinVa

Quote from: CalebL on January 16, 2012, 05:30:17 PM
Quote from: slider on January 11, 2012, 09:45:18 PM

I didn't pay much more for a 2005 LT40HDD34 with a debarker, simple setworks and it had less than 500 hours.  I actually found it on the woodmizer used mill website.  I went and looked at it, made an offer, and he accepted it.

Not sure where you are located but this is  on the sawmill exchange in ohio for $13K....
   1991 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG24, fully hydraulic, 24 HP Onan gas engine, trailer package, operator seat, 30 extra bands, 2,800 hours. Can demonstrate.

slider

Thanks for the replies,my friend wants to wait a bit. I must admit i was excited about this young man getting started in something that has brought great pleasure to me.from building a home to a part time sawing business.For me it has been a learning curve that keeps me thinking .I have met some great people ,customers and here on the forum.I sure don't regret taking that first step.Got a portable job coming up soon can not wait .It's 100 miles away ,ordered extra stuff from woodmizer today so i'm covered.This sawing bug is nasty as most of you well know.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!