iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

insurance

Started by Cedarman, November 23, 2014, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

In a thread on Brandon, DR Buck brought up the need for insurance.  I think the liability kind.  I have never had to use our insurance and wondered how common using that insurance is.
I guess that being mobile would put one at greatest risk.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Brandon1986

Where would a guy even start if he wanted it for that? I guess talk to whoever you insure your cars with???

Fedge

I have never used mine and hope that I never will. Although, I don't see how you can't have it. If something serious does happen, you will likely lose everything that you own in today's lawyered up world. Lets face it, there are a lot of ways to get hurt around a sawmill. I get ticked off every time I pay for my liability and equipment coverage but I got to have it. BTW, my primary business is making log furniture, and you would not believe how many insurance companies will not cover any product that you sit or sleep on. They won't even look at your product. Its just a flat out "we don't do that."

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

Magicman

Look to your left in the Sponsor's banner.  Margeson & Associates
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

FarmingSawyer

I'm in the process now of getting better coverage and expanding my liability for mobile sawing.... I figure one day it might just happen...and as I often work for lawyers, it could happen sooner than later over something ridiculous or minor. Certainly basic sawmill insurance is a must in case something happens........

And if you think getting Sawmill insurance is bad.....try telling them you sometimes log with horses.....whoa boy, don't get me started...... it's as if everything we do is inherently dangerous as we need protected from ourselves......of course it's dangerous, so is drinking the water in 50% of the states in this country.......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

NWP

I have used mine once. Although I run a firewood and mulch operation, the insurance puts me in the sawmill classification.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!