iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jotul 118 i thought

Started by yukon cornelius, November 22, 2015, 08:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

we have been using a vogelzang mountaineer, this would be 3 years. I never have cared for it fully. it was rated at 100,000 btus, more than ample for our home. to start it didn't seem to put out enough heat. it would burn like a match. get hot fast then out unless you are constantly feeding it. we have heated solely with wood for 20 years so I feel I have a good idea of how much it should be using. it has no intake air control but does have a damper in the flue. it would draft faster and faster and get hotter and hotter until the wood was gone. I built a heat recovery for the flue and that cured the super drafting issue. it added enough to heat the house comfortably also. still the stove would not carry a fire through the night. a while back a neighbor came by and asked if I wanted a stove. I can never turn down anything said I would take it. I had to take it out and carry in their new stove, which was identical to the one we already have, and I brushed their chimney for them. the stove I got from them was a small box stove with a neat woods, cabin, deer, forest scene cast into the castiron sides. it had an odd box on the top that was part of its original design. it also has hanging metal baffles inside instead of fire brick. I started searching that and quickly found matches. a jotul 118. then I found it was worth 800-1200 bucks. I was excited! then I found the made in Taiwan stamp. turns out it is a Scandia 100 instead. they were sued out of business in the early 80s for copying the jotul. the forums I found said it was only worth scrap and throw it away. I thought that to be absurd, its almost 40 years old no cracks and looks nearly new after being used since it was new as sole heating source in a log home, and I installed it in the our house. we have not had real cold yet but we have nearly cut our average wood consumption by (conservatively)30% maybe 50%. it holds a fire all night. I filled it at 10:30 last night and it was still going hot and had wood left to burn this morning at 6. 62 degrees in our unfinished home with lots of cracks to fill and one whole wall un insulated. 20 degrees outside. this stove heats up slow but gives the most steady even heat of any stove I have used. half the size of our previous stove. sweet success!! thanks for reading my long winded story! Happy Sunday!

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

timberlinetree

A stove that goes all nite is worth its weight in gold 8). Congratulations and getting up a 2am to feed the stove be a distant memory.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Slingshot

I have one of those 118 Jotul copies. Bought it new in early 80's. Paid $169.00.
Used it along with an oil furnace but alone most of the time. Replaced it about
3 years ago with a Lopi in my house and using it now in a small workshop.
   Don't plan on getting rid of it. Great heater...

47sawdust

slingshot,
By the looks of your picture,that stove set up looks dangerous.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Slingshot

Only if it was fired heavy. I have a metal shield I put in back and there
is  double metal on right side. And I only put small fires in it.
   Thanks for the concern.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Slingshot on November 22, 2015, 04:01:09 PM

I have one of those 118 Jotul copies. Bought it new in early 80's. Paid $169.00.
Used it along with an oil furnace but alone most of the time. Replaced it about
3 years ago with a Lopi in my house and using it now in a small workshop.
   Don't plan on getting rid of it. Great heater...

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!