iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber prices too high

Started by livemusic, November 30, 2020, 09:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Quote from: stavebuyer on April 27, 2022, 06:57:52 AM
Red Oak and Walnut both dropped in all grades and thicknesses this week in the HMR. Maple and Ash continue to rise. Bizarre for Maple to climb going into "stain season".
I always wondered how they buy, truck, sort and saw fast enough to keep it white.

SwampDonkey

I've seen veneer maple in Columbia's yard where they kept it watered to keep them from drying and staining. But most of the maple for veneer we moved was winter cut, significant volumes were often cut on 4 woodlots to get a full load.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PoginyHill

Watering helps minimize stain in birch and maple, but it is still more of an issue in the summer than winter. 10ft logs are preferred for that reason to make 8ft veneer. The extra trim costs more, but the increase value in veneer recovery makes up for the 2ft of waste.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

nativewolf

For the lumber products the mills here have almost all moved to dip tanks to prevent stain.  
Liking Walnut

stavebuyer

In the "stain season" we sawed HM every Monday and shipped that afternoon. We had a cabinet customer 1/2 mile down the road and still sometimes had stain issues.

Dipping Maple degrades the color. Many customers will not accept dipped lumber or watered logs. The lumber will be off-white or cream colored and not snow white.

moodnacreek

I tried spraying hard maple with the stuff I use on pine. It did not work so well. For me , being so small, white maple is too much work and worry while the colored woods are so forgiving.

SwampDonkey

Maple darkens anyway, just like white pine does. There might be a few finishes that slow the process, but it's going to darken. It will even darken between being kilned and stacked outside the kiln in a warehouse. Only time I've had white sugar maple was when it was cut from the stump and fresh sawed. By the time it air dried it darkens anyway. I might not have used trailer loads of it, but enough to know what happens, and it doesn't take years. 

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stavebuyer

Softwood lumber futures dipped yesterday to 780/thous

Poplar and Red Oak both dropped across all grades and thickness again this week's HMR report.

"Bark Season" is upon us, and a full week's sunshine is in the forecast locally for the first time in a long while.

Sell it while you can.

moodnacreek

Fuel keeps going up.  Lumber will stop selling.

SwampDonkey

Random length futures shows over $1000 here.

There was an uptick in 2 x 4" price last week, to CDN$1400.

Utility and composite grade US$950

Western 2 x 4" US$1100

SwampDonkey

Random length futures dropped $84 today, to $920. Market price on 2 x 4 is no change, around CDN$1400.

woodroe

#2 1x12  pine selling for $3.00 FT at the local
lumber yard. Won't be buying any of that or anything else there for that matter.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Mooseherder

I bought some PT lumber today in northern Maine close to the Canadian border and deep into the Irving Kingdom.  ;D
It'll be delivered next week.  Hope it's nice.  The store owner said lucky me the price is down.  
#1  2x6x16=21.99
       2x6x10=12.99
      2x6x8=8.99
      2x10x16=37.99
       2×10×12=28.99

SwampDonkey

40 - 50% higher up here at Kent (Irving's flagship building centre). Probably cheaper in Yarmouth, NS, same store. :D

Hilltop366

I walked across the Kent lumber yard this week but never looked to see who's lumber they had but I can tell you for certain that at one time (4 or 5 years ago) there was not one stick of Irving lumber in the yard.

I made a comment to the store assistant manager while he was pricing up my list, he said that the Irving lumber rep asked him the same thing two weeks earlier to which he replied "your prices are too high".

Mooseherder

They delivered the lumber today.  Beautiful p.t. southern yellow pine. :)

SwampDonkey

Wasn't red pine? That's all we see here is red pine.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 14, 2022, 05:56:39 PM
I walked across the Kent lumber yard this week but never looked to see who's lumber they had but I can tell you for certain that at one time (4 or 5 years ago) there was not one stick of Irving lumber in the yard.

I made a comment to the store assistant manager while he was pricing up my list, he said that the Irving lumber rep asked him the same thing two weeks earlier to which he replied "your prices are too high".
A lot here in their yards comes out of Quebec.

Meanwhile I drive by Crabbe's mill and their yard is stuffed full, their yard goes up over a hill to another level, you don't see half of the lumber piled up. All out in the rain and sun to. :D

Southside

What mill stamp is on that pine MH?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

customsawyer

Can Red pine be pressure treated?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

Quote from: customsawyer on May 17, 2022, 03:44:36 AM
From what I can see it takes pressure treatment same as most other pines, so Yes. 
It gets sold in the general SPF grade. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don P

Quote from: Ianab on May 17, 2022, 05:41:28 AM
Quote from: customsawyer on May 17, 2022, 03:44:36 AM
From what I can see it takes pressure treatment same as most other pines, so Yes.
It gets sold in the general SPF grade.
Red pine can be mixed in the SPF(S), South, species group, it is not allowed in the general SPF species group. That's a strength issue. It does treat, but not as well as the southern yellow pines. Red pine is our only native relative of the european pine, pinus sylvestris, scots pine. I wouldn't be surprised to see SYP anywhere, it travels  :).

moodnacreek

Always though red pine went for poles. It sure saws nice however.

barbender

I thought Red Pine was more closely related to European Black Pine? 

Red pine is one of our major commercial species up here. Primary uses are studs, treated lumber, pallet, and utility poles.
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

X2. Around here red pine was planted like a row crop, the best trees are cut for utility poles. And for dimensional lumber it goes to Biewer sawmill in Prentice (WI), where they saw millions of board feet of it for the treating and construction industry. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!