The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Using the forest as carbon storage - and get payed for it?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Using the forest as carbon storage - and get payed for it?
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2021, 08:50:37 PM »
Holding it hostage😂 Bonus points if you have some tar sand😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Nils Jonsson

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 02:32:08 AM »
I bumped onto something interesting here in Sweden; A company who offers to convert unused open land to forest in order to create more carbon storage. A forest owner who has unused open land (old fields etc.) can apply and get $500 per hectare to do it (it's 5000 SEK, Swedish Krona, that is approximately 500 US dollars, let's keep it simple ;D). As the cost for forest planting here varies between $800 and $1500 this is more like a discount to get it done. The forest owner also have to sign an agreement to manage the new forest with aim to store as much carbon as possible for 50 years. 

The interesting part of this is that the company is run by four city boys 19-20 years old, who haven't got a clue about forestry. But they do know business as they "sell" plants to the public (city folks) for $1 per plant, incl. a GPS coordinate to show where the plant is planted. They make a deal with the forest owner to buy plants and plant them, for which he gets $500 per hectare - and pays 800 - 1500 to get it done. As the normal number of plants per hectare here is 2000 - 2500 the four lads make $2000 to $2500 per hectare minus the 500 to the forest owner!!

Well, why doesn't forestry people get such ideas?  :) :P

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2021, 03:31:51 AM »
My 346 acres equals 115 acres of "Deferral Credits" so I made a bid to defer any timber harvest for one year.  I should know by March 8th whether my bid was accepted.  ::)
Yep, mine comes in the mail today in the form of land taxes. Hey, I defer 364 days a year. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2021, 03:34:37 AM »
Holding it hostage Bonus points if you have some tar sand
I think Biden did us a favour. I never seen much benefit of exporting unrefined oil. Refining is where the money is. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2021, 03:55:40 AM »
I bumped onto something interesting here in Sweden; A company who offers to convert unused open land to forest in order to create more carbon storage. A forest owner who has unused open land (old fields etc.) can apply and get $500 per hectare to do it (it's 5000 SEK, Swedish Krona, that is approximately 500 US dollars, let's keep it simple ;D). As the cost for forest planting here varies between $800 and $1500 this is more like a discount to get it done. The forest owner also have to sign an agreement to manage the new forest with aim to store as much carbon as possible for 50 years.

The interesting part of this is that the company is run by four city boys 19-20 years old, who haven't got a clue about forestry. But they do know business as they "sell" plants to the public (city folks) for $1 per plant, incl. a GPS coordinate to show where the plant is planted. They make a deal with the forest owner to buy plants and plant them, for which he gets $500 per hectare - and pays 800 - 1500 to get it done. As the normal number of plants per hectare here is 2000 - 2500 the four lads make $2000 to $2500 per hectare minus the 500 to the forest owner!!

Well, why doesn't forestry people get such ideas?  :) :P
Been doing that here for almost 40 years. On public and private land. But the 'contractor' gets a lot less $$/ha than you show. Since the government provides the incentives, they control what it costs. It's around CDN $1200/ha + $100 from the land owner, that includes the seedlings, planting, scarification and herbicide. There is no top up to the contractor. ;)

50 years is interesting, that's the age at which site index is compared using tree height growth. There is nothing new there, looks like someone wants to make more money at it. I, as a landowner, won't pay more for something I'm already doing. Back to the books boys. ;D

Offline brianJ

• Only get excersize if I choose the right hobby
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2021, 06:44:06 AM »
I have only seen 'organizations', such as Community Forest International, make a claim that they have sold $300,000 in carbon credits to the rest of Canada. That was off a 700 acre woodlot. That was a 'one of' as far as I have seen. There seems to be a very limited small market for it.

UPM, was a company here that continued to harvest and export wood off public land while closing down their mill they acquired from REPAP in Miramachi. They claimed over production on the market spurred the move, yet continued to harvest wood for export. ::) If they look good in one corner of the globe, they don't shine too brightly in others. :D
SwampDonkey with  a great example of Marxist's masquerading as an environmentalist will give you  carbon credits but the money that's just for their friends"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2021, 07:56:25 AM »
yup.  $300k of hot air.  the game is rigged and will stay that way until the public says 'no more.' 
Revelation 13:11-18

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2021, 07:46:04 PM »
I still believe that it is smoke & mirrors and I have not seen any $$ but my offer/bid was accepted.  Instead of $11 per acre of Harvest Deferral Credits the accepted bid was $17 per acre for 115 acres of Harvest Deferral Credits that I offered.  This is an annual program to defer any timber harvest from April 1, 2021 until March 31, 2022.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2021, 09:49:44 PM »
Well if that takes off it won't exactly help the lumber price issue.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2021, 10:12:59 PM »
I don't think that it would/will have much affect.  120 accepted bids in 11 states, (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas) is a very small amount of acreage taken out of the harvest for one year.  I have no idea what the total bid acreage was.  The bidding closed on March 8th so it's done for this year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »
it does a fine job of exacerbating the cost of housing crisis while overlaid with the making a mortgage payment during covid crisis.  All coincidental i am certain. If we could only manufacture land and homes as cheap as we manufacture crises ..

So thats 2 grand spent to keep how many board feet out of the market for a year?  I am not begrudging you in any way on that at all lynn.. Just to be completely clear.  You didnt create the mess. 

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2021, 08:23:17 PM »
My property is a very minimum of 5 years and more like 10 years away from any timber harvest/sale.  The only trees that are removed are storm felled trees for firewood.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2021, 07:53:20 AM »
Gotcha.  About the only good news i see out of it is that the landowner is getting an incentive to grow trees.  Seems the retailers are the ones really winning in this lumber boom, and growers and loggers have been left behind.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post

Offline Nils Jonsson

• Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2022, 06:54:21 AM »
Now things are starting to happen on this subject over here in Sweden. A friend of mine, a forest owner, just made a deal with a company who wanted to rent carbon storage from him. The discussions over here are much about how the forest industry is afraid that they won't get the wood if the forest owners decide to let the forest stand, maybe getting more paid for that. The thing in my friend's case is that he already made a thinning on the site, and the next action is planned to take place in 50 years. That action will be clear-cut. 
Now he made a 30-year deal that will give him approx 800 USD per year and a hectare for the three hectare-site. That's a lot more than he can get for forestry actions. Here is an article about him

Another discussion that is going on here is about the wood prices. Our industry is digging gold right now, but the forest owners don't get much of that. Lumber prices raised by over 100 percent last year, and timber prices by about 10 percent. So, many forest owners think about doing something else with their timber, like my friend here above. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Payed in logs

Started by pasbuild on General Board

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2003, 08:13:56 AM
by Fla._Deadheader
xx
Bundled Camp Firewood We don't get payed enough

Started by Gearbox on Firewood and Wood Heating

42 Replies
Last post May 29, 2019, 06:05:51 AM
by Ianab