iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have a Kubota Sidekick? Finally Got One

Started by 21incher, March 24, 2021, 12:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I have been searching for a side x side for my yard and possibly  trails. I am seriously thinking about the 850 Sidekick.  My dealer  is looking  for one for me now before the rebate is over. Polaris and Kawasaki have been on my list but after  seeing  the Kubota I really  like it. Nice big steel bed with a 1000 pound capacity,  Subaru ( now Kubota) 48 hp engine and a very  heavy  duty  frame similar to the RTV frame. It's  electronically limited  to 42 mph and uses a CVT drive. Not true 4wd but with the differential lock 3 will turn and limited slip in the front. Electric power steering that is speed sensitive.  Weights about 1800 pounds so probably not good in mud. Just wondering  if anyone has one that they could  share their opinion  of. I can't  touch  another  full size for the price quoted.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

snowstorm

polaris ranger would be a better choice. i have a ranger 900 its pretty much gas an go

21incher

Polaris is on my list but the Kubota looks much heavier  duty  to me. Not much information  out there yet because  they have only been around  3 years. This is 850 cc gas and hopefully  would  be gas and go also. Was hoping someone would  have feedback about them. My Kubota  dealer mechanic says they have not seen any problems with them yet. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

snowstorm

it looks like it was made it china and rebranded

snobdds

It's slow, but dependable.   We wanted to like it on the ranch.  We demo'd the model with the HST and that was painful to get around in, then we demo'd the sidekick...faster but still too slow.  

We stuck with Polaris.  I have a Rzr and a ranger.  Once you get use to getting around quickly, it's hard to compromise back.  

Get the XP edition if you get the ranger.  It is a more well built machine than the price point driven plaine 1000 version. 

21incher

Quote from: snowstorm on March 25, 2021, 09:53:45 AM
it looks like it was made it china and rebranded

Made in Georgia with a Subaru engine.

Quote from: snobdds on March 25, 2021, 10:27:38 AM
It's slow, but dependable.   We wanted to like it on the ranch.  We demo'd the model with the HST and that was painful to get around in, then we demo'd the sidekick...faster but still too slow.  

We stuck with Polaris.  I have a Rzr and a ranger.  Once you get use to getting around quickly, it's hard to compromise back.  

Get the XP edition if you get the ranger.  It is a more well built machine than the price point driven plaine 1000 version.
Thanks for the feedback. The Polaris 1000 is 3 to 4 k more right now for a similar machine and I don't  qualify for any incentives they have so that's definitely  out. The 570 Full size is about the same price point with eps I would have to go with and that's not much faster with a cheaper looking frame. I am more interested  in the dependable at my age for dragging  firewood out. Thanks. 

SwampDonkey

I have a Polaris 570, it's just an 1" narrower than the full size version. Mine only has 500 lb load capacity and 1000 lb pull. I didn't want any bigger. 500 is all I need, I bring out firewood in the bed, And I haul 50 gallons of water in tank for garden. Easy on gas, I think I only burnt one and a half tanks all summer gathering firewood and water. My firewood is a short haul out to pickup, not miles, except to get to the woodlot is 3 miles. Seem well built to me. Time will tell. :)

Don't need no eps.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snobdds

I bought a turbo rzr on a whim one day, I must say, I don't need it but I sure do like driving it at the ranch.  I also take it up to the cabin in the spring to break the snow drifts into the place.  That is pretty fun too.

I use the Ranger at the cabin for just putzing around.  I put a soft topper on it so I can take the dog places.  It works good for a general work horse up there.  

21incher

The Rangers are nice but I don't  qualify for the rebates and all the extra shipping and dealer prep make them overpriced for me to get an equivalent machine so I just removed them from my list. They don't  use the robbin/ Subaru engine anymore with  parts from Japan. I read the new Ranger engines are assembled  in the USA from mostly Chinese and Mexican parts so I feel the Kubota  may be a better choice. Kubota  is not discriminating with  the rebate if you have cash and from the couple reviews I just watched I guess I will go that way If they can actually get one in stock for me before  6/30. Can't find any issues other then gas pedal angle and it didn't  feel bad to me. UTVs are selling like hotcakes right now, guess everyone knows zero percent interest may soon be a thing of the past. 

SwampDonkey

I put steel roof on mine and steel panel and grill protection/push bar.

I needed a buggy, there was no two ways about it. I don't want to build a fortune in roads for firewood. Plus, don't have to tear the ground up, I'm using old winter road and old trails, been there for 30 years. When you build roads, you invite tresspassers. Mines a work and utility buggy. I don't waste gas driving around, I can do that from the truck. ;D

Whatever you get, I'm sure it will do the job. :)

I know they sold a lot of SxS's last year.

I know 4 guys on my road here with Rangers. And bear hunter just over the hill has the 1000. Someone around here has a buggy with tracks, wide as a truck goes on snow like Ski doo.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snobdds

Quote from: 21incher on March 25, 2021, 02:32:39 PM
The Rangers are nice but I don't  qualify for the rebates and all the extra shipping and dealer prep make them overpriced for me to get an equivalent machine so I just removed them from my list. They don't  use the robbin/ Subaru engine anymore with  parts from Japan. I read the new Ranger engines are assembled  in the USA from mostly Chinese and Mexican parts so I feel the Kubota  may be a better choice. Kubota  is not discriminating with  the rebate if you have cash and from the couple reviews I just watched I guess I will go that way If they can actually get one in stock for me before  6/30. Can't find any issues other then gas pedal angle and it didn't  feel bad to me. UTVs are selling like hotcakes right now, guess everyone knows zero percent interest may soon be a thing of the past.
Polaris is notorious for selling a base model and then the owner needing to accessorize it with stuff like windshields mirrors etc.  

That is where they get you.  
The prostar engines Polaris uses seem pretty durable.  I am just glad all these new SxS use FI insted of Carbs.  That alone is a huge difference in driveability...

SwampDonkey

@snobdds , you have one of those snowbikes I see on youtube in the mountians? Wish I was 16 again. :D

We Climbed A Volcano on Snowbikes (& had lunch) - YouTube

snobdds

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 25, 2021, 05:41:44 PM
@snobdds , you have one of those snowbikes I see on youtube in the mountians? Wish I was 16 again. :D

We Climbed A Volcano on Snowbikes (& had lunch) - YouTube
I don't.  Heck, I don't even have a snowmobile...Yet. 
I spend most of my winter Snowboarding.  I use to ride the big mountains in Alaska and British Columbia...in my younger days.   :D  I have no time for snowmobiling, even though I have a cabin in the middle of snowmobile mecha. 
I still do one Heli trip a winter in BC, but now for me it's about teaching the next generation a love for the outdoors and skiing.  He took after his mom in that he's a skier.  ::)  He's a little ripper though...

Tom King

This one has all wheel drive, and a Subaru motor too-WRX.
<br
>

gspren

The speed requirements/desires for people out west or anywhere there's open terrain can't be compared to woods work in the east. My Kubota 400 RTV was their smallest sxs at the time and it's done a ton of work for me, almost never goes over 15 mph but handy on my small farm. The only friends that had Polaris ATVs had lots of problems but that was over 20 years ago and I hear they got better.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

Quote from: Tom King on March 25, 2021, 07:10:49 PM
This one has all wheel drive, and a Subaru motor too-WRX.
<br
>

Paint it orange and your all set  ;D. Is that farm plate something you made up? Never seen one before. 
Quote from: gspren on March 25, 2021, 08:58:03 PM
The speed requirements/desires for people out west or anywhere there's open terrain can't be compared to woods work in the east. My Kubota 400 RTV was their smallest sxs at the time and it's done a ton of work for me, almost never goes over 15 mph but handy on my small farm. The only friends that had Polaris ATVs had lots of problems but that was over 20 years ago and I hear they got better.
I think  you nailed it. 40 mph seems fast enough  for me. Probably never get near it in my area. I think  they all are fairly  reliable now. The only brand I am seeing  complaints about are the Deere and it seems to be from them squeezing  to much technology in them.

farmfromkansas

I had a Kawasaki Teryx 750, which would pull a couple 10' hedge posts up out of the creek.  Decided don't really need that much power so got a new Ranger 570.  Only had it a short time, so can not say how well I like it.  Bought the windows, top and hard doors to use it in winter.  Plan to add a heater.  Salesman said when I picked it up, that the 570 is the most trouble free model.  I like that.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Tom King

Farm Use tags came off Amazon.  I really put them on there for a joke.  Supposed to be a "truck".

Anyway, it doesn't leave our land, except for a one mile state road running through the middle of it.

21incher

Well looks like I waited to long and they can't find one that's not fully  loaded on the east coast. Turns out Kubota shut down 2021 lines and is switching assembly lines to 2022 so If you can't  find what you want in stock it's over. 2022 won't  have rebates so back to zero. Wish the dealer didn't  get my Hope's up the first visit.

petefrom bearswamp

Dont know about the sidekick, but I have a 2012 RTV 900 that is a real workhorse.
Been problem free so far.
a good number of guys in our hunting property of 3875 acres in the adks have Polaris rangers, a few tracked up for winter.
one guy has that chinese knockoff CF moto and has had a few minor problems.
These guys all ride recreationally and my needs are for work
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

21incher

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 26, 2021, 11:27:06 AM
Dont know about the sidekick, but I have a 2012 RTV 900 that is a real workhorse.
Been problem free so far.
a good number of guys in our hunting property of 3875 acres in the adks have Polaris rangers, a few tracked up for winter.
one guy has that chinese knockoff CF moto and has had a few minor problems.
These guys all ride recreationally and my needs are for work
They have one of the 900s in stock but I don't want a diesel or to spend that much. Never had a salesman call before and say I can find nothing  for you. In the end Kubota  took the other one they had on order and gave it to a higher volume dealer with no others available in the area so I am looking again. Was told 2022s will be out shortly and there's a chance for the same rebate so I will wait a couple weeks to see what's available when ordering opens. Plus may be some upgrades for the new year.  

SwampDonkey

Probably by May, your choices will be available. I got mine May last year and the doors to the place were practically closed because of COVID, by the time I came in with cash in hand it was limited to sales and no one allowed in the lobby kicking tires. I went direct to the salesman's office. Was hard to get replacement rims though, so I decided to wait 3 or 4 years for fancy rims. ;)

Chuck White

Isn't the SideKick a Gas model, vs Diesel?

I know I've seen commercials on tv about the "all new Kubota gas side-by-side"

I think that's what I would get if I was in the market, the diesel SxS really sound like they're going to fly apart when the rev so high!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Quote from: Chuck White on March 26, 2021, 08:39:52 PM
Isn't the SideKick a Gas model, vs Diesel?

I know I've seen commercials on tv about the "all new Kubota gas side-by-side"

I think that's what I would get if I was in the market, the diesel SxS really sound like they're going to fly apart when the rev so high!
Yes it is gas with a CVT belt drive. They started with a Subaru engine, now bought the tooling from Robbin / Subaru and build it under the Kubota name. Not many reviews  that aren't  sponsored by Kubota so I was looking for input. Turns out they loaded many of them with  options and then shut down ordering to switch  model year so there are no affordable ones available now. Looks like they are trying to dump some slow moving inventory left over from the 2021s.  I can wait a couple months.

SwampDonkey

I watch a youtube channel of a young couple that moved up to Alaska. They brought their Ranger 570 along. They soon found out up there, you need more wheels and more clearance. They got the 6 wheeled Polaris, used. :D Then they went on them trails, and it was really hard trails with mud, rocks galore, washed hills, flooded trails. They were on a day trip out there and I think they had to get some parts when they got back home, drive shaft was one. Believe me, those trails up there will trash any machine. :D They was moose hunting, they never got any that year. Next year they were more familiar with the land up there and got a moose. :)

samandothers

Ah man!  I hope you find one.  I was looking forward to the pictures.

gspren

My Kubota 400 RTV that I mentioned earlier has a gas Subaru engine with the belt drive and it's been flawless. I like Kubota diesels like I have on my BX 2670 for mowing and snowblowing where once you start it you run awhile but on on my RTV/UTV I start and stop frequently so I like the gas engine better for that. When pulling heavy loads use low range so as not to slip the belt.

Ventryjr

Never had a sidekick but my dad has a kubota 1100 and it's a work horse.  Had it since new been running hard for 10 years 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

farmfromkansas

I got the midsize ranger 570, and it will fit in a pickup truck.  Pull mine on my lawn mower trailer 5 x 9. Am getting the engine broke in, tried it for speed the other day and it will run 50mph. Seems the power really ramps up at higher rpms. Mine is the basic model.  Thinking about how to add a radio with outside speaker so I can hear it when fixing fence.  Not about to buy the Polaris version.  All their add ons are very expensive, they don't want you to know the specs for their oil so you can buy it at NAPA, so have to look at the Ranger forum.  They are all about selling you the proper oil and filters, so all the book has are part numbers.

21incher

Quote from: farmfromkansas on April 06, 2021, 12:36:40 PM
I got the midsize ranger 570, and it will fit in a pickup truck.  Pull mine on my lawn mower trailer 5 x 9. Am getting the engine broke in, tried it for speed the other day and it will run 50mph. Seems the power really ramps up at higher rpms. Mine is the basic model.  Thinking about how to add a radio with outside speaker so I can hear it when fixing fence.  Not about to buy the Polaris version.  All their add ons are very expensive, they don't want you to know the specs for their oil so you can buy it at NAPA, so have to look at the Ranger forum.  They are all about selling you the proper oil and filters, so all the book has are part numbers.
Got a price on the striped down Polaris 1000 with EPS and it's $3200 more out the door then the equivalent Kubota so that is not an option. Just not worth it for a couple more HP and 10MPH faster speed. Also see where some of the Polaris1000s are having clutch problems with the new design. Waiting for the 2022 Kubota pricing and availability now because it looks much tougher then the Polaris to me and has the most parts of any UTV that are made in America today that is a plus to me. Not as pretty on the outside but it's what's inside that counts. 

Walnut Beast

Kubota units are built well no question. I've had two Kubota units. There is no comparison against a Polaris on the trail or flat out speed. The Polaris dominates hands down 

SwampDonkey

Don't be rushed, buy what you want. :)

Walnut Beast

The Sidekick for what you get and the money savings seems like a pretty good deal. The Kubota I had was a open cab 900 RTV then a 1100 full cab. Built wise compared to the Polaris there is no comparison. The Kubota is way better. Mine were several years ago before they had the independent suspension on the rear. I'm sure the newer ones are a big improvement in capability in those models. The Sidekick is a little different animal. I looked at the Sidekick online and it seems pretty impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to get it plus the resale value down the road would be good 👍 

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 06, 2021, 07:05:25 PMDon't be rushed, buy what you want

Good advice - especially these days where there is such a shortage of tractors, UTVs, and related equipment. I've not priced them lately, but if they are like anything else these days, I'm betting prices are through the roof (and if they aren't, they soon will be).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

21incher

This is crazy. Still trying  to get one. Was told call back the end of April and they would  start taking  orders. Called and was told line is shut down because  they ran out of engines so call back the end of May because  ordering  would  open up in June for orders of 2022s.  Called today was told call back the end of June and they might start  taking  orders then because  they can't find people that want to work on the line. My Kubota  dealer  told me they are having an extremely hard time getting any items made in the USA now because  of a labor shortage possibly caused by extra unemployment benefits still being handed out. Never had a hard time spending money  before.

samandothers

Was at a Kubota dealer getting some filters for an RTV500 and saw one there .  It was bigger than I expected.  Nice looking ride.

SwampDonkey

I know those buggies, of any brand, are mighty handy. Used mine this week to pull a pallet drag across fresh topsoil for the lawn. Does a nice smooth job as long as you don't pack hard spots with heavy equipment. Sure beats a rake. :D

Yeah, I know the feeling having to wait wait wait, but sometimes that's just what you gotta do. :)

farmfromkansas

More I use my Ranger 570 better I like it.  Handy little rig.  Fill it full of tools and chainsaws to build fence, along with wire and such.  Pull a 2 wire unroller, run in low and roll out new barb wire.  Also used it to pull a trailer with a wire winder, and worked good for that.  My helper loves to drive the thing.  When I started shopping, planned to get a Honda 700, but they had none in stock, said they did not know when they could get one, or what the price would be.  Seemed like they really did not want to sell any.  Thought the 3 speed automatic transmission would be better than a variable speed belt.

tmarch

I traded a Polaris for a Can Am last fall and I will say so far it has worked a lot better.  Less expensive than the Polaris and built heavier as far as I can tell.  Had friend that traded a Kubota for a Can Am about the same time and he is happy too. 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

21incher

Looks like I may finally get one. Dealer was able to post an order for 2 of the 2022's today. Hopefully end of July or beginning of Aug. Will have a definite confirmation about rebates in a couple weeks. Now to start widening my trails through the woods because it's a foot wider then my tractors.

21incher

Well thought  I would  update  this thread.  I ordered one last July when Kubota opened  the ordering window. Was supposed to be delivered  late September or early October. Never showed and Kubota just kept telling  my dealer they lied about  delivery timeframe a had no idea when it would  be made. My dealer has had no update or excuses from Kubota.  A couple  weeks ago I stopped  in to check for updates and there were still none but he would try to get more info because I am at the point I may switch brands soon. Today I finally  heard something.  The machine is made along with  many others and sitting  in a parking lot ( probably  rusting away from sitting so long. ) because they can't get tubing to build the roll cages. There is no date available and it probably won't  be this spring that the roll cages are fabricated. They will not ship machines without the cages and this is their complete RTV line not just Sidekicks. Any new orders will take over a year to ship. I am a little  confused as other brand side by sides are showing up in showrooms now with their roll cages. I think Kubota is lying and just concentrating on high profit equipment blowing off their original  commitments.  Kubota  used to be a reputable company but now thinks it's  better to lie and not communicate  with  their dealers and customers as dates slip. Been over a year now trying  to get one and it could be another year till I see one from Kubotas  response. Visiting  a Polaris  dealer  next week.

CCCLLC

I've been trying to locate a honda pioneer in NC. No luck. Not even a test drive. Liking the idea of a driveshaft  over a belt

Dakota

I have a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000.  I love it.
Dave Rinker

SwampDonkey

I've seen guys with new Polaris SxS's every year throughout the pandemic.

I've had a bad taste in my mouth about Kabota for over 5 years. They aren't the company of 30 years ago. Not by a long shot.

For my needs a drive belt is much smoother, going across hummocky ground with my Ranger 570. A shaft would be a rodeo ride. :D

Hilltop366

In rough ground the issues I have noticed with the belt drive I rode in (a larger Yamaha not sure of the model) is that it required a lot more throttle to get moving even in low range then once moving the cvt would "up shift" even though you did not want to go faster because the next bump was only a few feet away so you ended up backing off the throttle to slow down then had to give it more throttle to get going again. The Honda Pioneer 520 I had drove will move at a lower engine speed and can be set in manual shift so it stays in the selected gear so it reduced the on/off throttle making a smoother ride in the horizontal direction the Yamaha had a much better riding suspension than the little Honda making it better in the vertical direction. A bit of apples and oranges comparison.

Not sure how the Polaris with the belt compares to these.

SwampDonkey

I've nothing to compare, only machine I've owned is a 570 Ranger. If I can help it, it will be the only machine for 25 years. I'm not riding any buggies after I'm 80. :D

21incher

I found a new 570 Ranger midsize, 2 -1000 premium Rangers, and 2 Generals today. Polaris is getting them out for spring. Can get on a list for a Mule or Pioneer and there are many of the Chinese and Korean models showing up in the next couple weeks.  I will give Kubota till the end of the month for updates but I doubt they will come through. We have Kioti, Mahindra, TYM, and LS tractor dealers in the area and their lots are loaded up for spring. Kubota is really losing out with empty dealer lots.

Otis1

I've got a 2015 Honda Pioneer 500 and love it. Bought the 500 because its about as wide as a 4 wheeler so it slides through the woods a lot easier than the bigger machines especially off trail. Mine is manual only, before they had the auto/ manual. It isn't going to win any races, but I can beat it up and it takes the abuse. Zero mechanical issues other than minor ones I caused. I might only ride it a mile or less a day but it's usually pretty rough, three skid plates so far I think. Another thing I like is that it comes as a base model machine that is easy to customize yourself without paying Honda prices for accessories. 

snowstorm

this is how a cvt works. Yamaha and Kawasaki use a cvt but its a little different in that there is always belt tension and a separate clutch when rpm increases engages. they say its better is it?? maybe maybe not. polaris and can am use a cvt more like what has been used in snowmobiles for 50 yrs. polaris came out with the p85 primary clutch in the 70's on sleds. it was way better then what the others had. that p85 is still used today. polaris has always done a better job with clutching. above idle speed the shive contacts the belt and it moves. the spring and weights control engagement and back shift. lets say you want taller tires or at high elevation just change weights and spring. try that with the auto trans or dual clutch honda. i have a polaris general at 5000 miles i put a new belt on. the new one was .003 wider . so pretty much no wear at all . also have a 900 ranger 7000 miles belt has never been off it. for engine braking there is a one way bearing on the clutch shaft. this cvt setup works very well and is by the cheapest to rebuild. it used to be $100 would buy all the wear parts. 

snowstorm

Quote from: 21incher on April 05, 2022, 08:10:16 PM
I found a new 570 Ranger midsize, 2 -1000 premium Rangers, and 2 Generals today. Polaris is getting them out for spring. Can get on a list for a Mule or Pioneer and there are many of the Chinese and Korean models showing up in the next couple weeks.  I will give Kubota till the end of the month for updates but I doubt they will come through. We have Kioti, Mahindra, TYM, and LS tractor dealers in the area and their lots are loaded up for spring. Kubota is really losing out with empty dealer lots.
if you are going to trail ride some the general. better seats and 100 hp part time trail ride and used it like a little truck the ranger. a ranger will ride better than the general at low speeds is easier to get in an out of if you do it alot. power steering is a must. if you dont get it you will wish you had. is a ranger better than a kubota or the others by far. no matter what you buy it should have turf mode it only powers 1 rear wheel will not tear up the grass. 

21incher

Well after 14 months of waiting I finally got one. Not the one I ordered because that's still not made. My dealer saw a dealer 4 hours away got one in and did some horse trading to get it. Going to take a while for the roof to arrive though. It's a tough little beast and extremely peppy. Glad I took a couple pics before it was totally covered in mud. My dealer is awesome, he held the original quote and rebates. 

It's one tough cookie built on the diesel RTV chassis so It should last. I love it.

SwampDonkey

21incher

I feel sorry  for my dealer.  Kubota is not delivering machines that were promised to him and he is scrambling all over the northeast to find machines. Can't  believe he held the original  price and didn't  add freight, price increases, or prep.  Pays to have a small town dealer that cares about  every customer.  Was ready to switch  to Polaris next month but glad he came through.  This came out a couple  grand less then a 570 ranger out the door and is a much heavier  built machine. 

SwampDonkey

Never seen any issues with my 570 as far as being rugged enough. They are well built tough machines. I don't even have power steering, and that's no issue either. We're not talking about trying to turn a tractor or a semi. :D

Mooseherder

The wait time for a Ranger was about 5 months last May.  My SIL ordered a 570 atv and it took 2 months.  I dunno what it is now but I'll stop in and see the dealer soon.  I want an enclosed cab.

aigheadish

Nice ride 21incher! 

The specs on those things are nuts! 48hp and 1800lbs? My Civic only weighs 1000 more pounds than that! 

I've been considering an electric golf cart to have around the yard as a tool carrier, wheelbarrow, etc. My needs are minor and my budget is even more minor. While something like what you guys are talking about seem sweet it seems like way too much for my little 6 acres of land. I'd like something to park in the garage and just hop in and go, but also carry some stuff. 

I have a Chinese 250cc buggy that would work but it's not very handy to get in and out of. The buggy and the mower can both pull a little yard wagon around but it'd be nice to have the little bed on the back of a golf cart and again, just hop in and go.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

This one has a speed sensitive power steering that is really  nice. At low speeds you can turn it with zero force but the faster  you go the steering stiffens  up. 

I am adding a cab one part at a time. The roof is on order and this fall I am adding the windshield for the front. The doors and rear panel will be added next spring. Then I sill just have to add the factory  heater. My local Polaris dealer is getting quite a few in now so you should check to see if yours has any incoming available.  Polaris just added a big delivery  surcharge that seems to speed delivery  up.

My wife has a golf cart that's good for the dry areas of the yard but has no clearance so forget taking  it in the woods or swamp. This one is built on the diesel rtv chassis so it's  a little  heavier  then others in the class.

Mooseherder

SwampDonkey

snobdds

Nice machine.  They look nice when they are all new.  

I ended up with the Polaris machines as I like their power at my altitude.  

farmfromkansas

I finally got the doors for my Ranger 570, they hinge on the rear.  They have a little rubber strip for a stop, but if the wind is blowing you really have to hang onto the door.  Would have preferred front hinges I think.  The good thing is the frame is made so the door fits into it, kind of like on your pickup truck.  

21incher

The doors for this are really nice and hinge from the back with roll up windows. They cost $3400.00 for the set and have a steel tubular frame. None of them are perfect though.

SwampDonkey

I think being rear hinged on a utility vehicle is a better idea than front hinged. I think there has been lots of research behind it. ;)

I do a lot of in and out, so the least I have to fiddle getting in and out the better, so I'm not putting doors on mine. A good windshield with mirror and a steel roof is all. I might get an under the seat box for tools though. :)

gspren

On my Kubota I have the hard top and a windshield, no doors or rear window, that's been working well for years and I don't plan to change although I'm not as far north as some of you.

21incher

I made a couple videos about it. Love the machine. 
After 14 Months Of Waiting Finally Got My 2022 Kubota RTV XG850 - YouTube
The oem tires sucked in mud and I knew they would need replacing because they weren't the ones I ordered. These are the Carlisle HD ACT radials I switched to
New Carlisle ACT HD 6 Ply 26x11R12 Tires For GIZMO - YouTube
It's one tough little machine.

aigheadish

Looks pretty sweet 21incher! Seems like they thought of a bunch of nice touches on there. I really like the under-seat toolbox! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Mooseherder

I saw one on a trailer yesterday. It had a V-Plow on it.  What a nice Machine.  :)

snowstorm

Quote from: 21incher on April 27, 2022, 08:06:25 PM
The doors for this are really nice and hinge from the back with roll up windows. They cost $3400.00 for the set and have a steel tubular frame. None of them are perfect though.
Some Polaris dealers will discount the doors quite a bit. I get 20% off on most stuff. But I did buy a new general and ranger from him. The doors for my general were 1900 2 years ago

Old Greenhorn

Been following along here and am glad to see you've hooked up with a nice machine. That one has some spunk to it. I know a few guys that keep them for just plowing their homesites before they jump in the big truck to go off and move snow all day.
 On the subject of cabs, doors, windshields, etc. I have a Kawasaki mule. It's an old one I bought in pieces and rebuilt it. It got me started and has done a lot more work than one would ever expect, skidding logs, etc. It came with a steel Curtis Cab, DOT windshield, windshield defroster fan, and heater kit from them. I use it for plowing both my driveways and helping out the 'less than self-sufficient' neighbors. I love how I can just lift the doors off the hinges in the spring and leave them off all summer, then replace them when the weather closes in. The cab does add weight for sure, but it makes it into a vehicle rather than a buggy, for me anyway. Of course I bolted and big LED light on the front of the roof and two work lights off the back and added a switch panel and 'other stuff' (radio, antenna, etc.). I also use it for music festivals where i serve as an EMT.
 I just checked to make sure they are still in business and see that they have expanded their product offerings quite a bit and their website has gone through a huge upgrade. I also see they make a cab for your machine. https://curtisindustries.net/product/kubota-rtv-sidekick-xg850-steel-cab/ 
 So it's just another thought. I can tell you when I am plowing my way through a major storm and that heater finally kicks in and I have to take my coat off, it makes me smile every time. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JD Guy

This thread surfaced at a good time as I am in the hunt for a side by side but most likely preowned and hopefully "lightly used" 😁. The used market must be pretty good right now though because those that I find interesting are sold within a couple of days and appear to be at almost the price they were new 2-3 years ago. I have been narrowing it down to Polaris Ranger, Kawasaki Mule and Club Car CarryAll. Any advice would be welcome and appreciated. We are in Upstate of SC. Thanks!

Old Greenhorn

What kind of terrain do you have? Flat or steep?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

farmfromkansas

My Ranger has been running fine, starts in cold weather, and so far has not lost any coolant or oil,  But it is not a Honda.  The thing is light weight, the receiver hitch is so tight have to struggle to get the boom for my sprayer in it, Reverse is a pain, thing has a gearshift like a pickup, but backwards, and reverse is hard to get into right.  My hired man would put it in reverse, rev it up and you could hear the gears just slightly hitting. The big thing for polaris is to sell you over priced oil and filters.  In the book they give you part numbers instead of specs for oil and filters. Bed is a pain to dump, and only can operate from the drivers side.  My old Kawasaki Teryx bed worked much better. No hooks in the bed to strap your sprayer down.

21incher

OGH those Curtis cabs are nice and do last for years.  Getting anything  for these units now is very hard. Big commercial users like the military ( that's why there is a green one available) ,  malls, and colleges are first  in line. I doubt this will handle the lake snow we get so my butt will most likely keep using the 3point blower for most snow removal. Hopefully  in a year or 2 prices and availability  will get back to normal on the cab parts.

Quote from: JD Guy on May 13, 2022, 09:32:06 PM
This thread surfaced at a good time as I am in the hunt for a side by side but most likely preowned and hopefully "lightly used" 😁. The used market must be pretty good right now though because those that I find interesting are sold within a couple of days and appear to be at almost the price they were new 2-3 years ago. I have been narrowing it down to Polaris Ranger, Kawasaki Mule and Club Car CarryAll. Any advice would be welcome and appreciated. We are in Upstate of SC. Thanks!
I found this sidekick model was the lowest priced heaviest duty UTV I could find. It cost less then a used machine and came with  a 2 year 1000 hour warranty coverage.  1000 pound bed capacity and 2000 pound tow rating. My dealer did not add freight or prep which was $2000.00 extra on the Polaris model with  the current  surcharge on freight at the local dealer. Plus there was a big rebate and dealer discount on this machine. It is heavy and over built so not the best for trails and governor limited to 42 MPH for safety but so far works good for my needs. This wouldn't  be my first  choice for trail riding in wide open spaces. The big thing is to decide exactly what you need the machine  for then set a budget. One thing I found out after buying  it, is in NY you can't register UTVs that weigh over 1000 pounds to be able to get a plate and use state trails like my grandson and I had planned. 

Mooseherder

That's too bad with the trail news. We see them on Maine trails.  They need to revisit this overreach.  Probably targeted at some wilder machines out there.  You can come here to ride anytime my friend.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that doesn't seem fair at all on the weight and plates. Some people can dream up the weirdest crap in an office. ;D ;)

No restrictions on weight here either. Course I just use my own land anyway.

Old Greenhorn

21 Not sure if you gave them a call or not, but I just threw it in there. As for plowing, I put a KFI plow on mine and am amazed at what that little thing pushes and is not nearly as powerful as yours. What it can't move is the berms pushed up by road plows. I forgot you have the big snowblower. But don't underestimate those UTV's for doing a quick and neat job on most snow.

As for the registration/insurance issue. Yes, NYS has these machines in a black hole. This is a result of lobbying by the ATV clubs around the state that don't want these machines on state trails. I don't know why. They have had bills pending to fix this, but they just die on the vine. I went round and round with this a few years back. I needed to get insurance on it to do those music festivals. Well the insurance company wants it to be registered and there is no way to do that. I finally found a company that would insure it with just the year, model, and VIN number. Started out at $50/yr, but kept going up. During COVID i dropped it since there no no fests. Now I need to get it again and begin my search anew.
 Legally, UTV's don't exist in NYS. If you register it in another state and try to take it on a state trail here, that is also illegal.

snowstorm

in maine the new rule passed last year. 65" wide up to 2000lbs. the county is the best place in the state to ride. next is downeast. the trouble there is the 60" gates that afm has put up. afm is not well liked down there. some of the other land management co. put money into trails

21incher

I had no idea that you couldn't register them in NY until I had the certificate of origin and went to the State DMV website to get the forms. Only option was put it on my homeowners and keep it on my property.  Hopefully  I can help fight this in the future.  Made a big mistake retiring in NY.
This thing pulls good but I just found out it's not a skidder and no match for a  big ash tree laying  over in the woods 🙄. 

JD Guy

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 13, 2022, 09:51:22 PM
Sorry for the late response, just saw your post OGH😁
We have mildly rolling, but what anyone in the mountains would call flat!

JD Guy

21 incher:We will use this much as most of y'all do, to get firewood from places the tractors and pickup can't go, fence maintenance, pond maintenance and general duties on our 75 acres. The one thing I do not need to deal with is snow removal😀. Very few know how to drive in the stuff anyway so as a defensive measure it's best to wait a day or so and the snow is gone!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: JD Guy on May 19, 2022, 01:32:30 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 13, 2022, 09:51:22 PM
Sorry for the late response, just saw your post OGH😁
We have mildly rolling, but what anyone in the mountains would call flat!
Well, for what you ant to do and the terrain you have a Mule should do you just fine. The polaris has a bit more power I think and does better on rough stuff with better clearance. If I ever find one for cheap I would get it. 
 I searched for a long time for mine and finally spyed one that had been sitting in the same spot behind a dealers shop for a couple of years. It was in rough shape. When the dealership closed I stopped in and tossed out an offer of 500 bucks. The engine was in 5 cardboard boxes taken completely apart, every screw. I bought the shop manual and some parts and learned about kawasaki engines. Had it running in about a month working evenings. Now I could sell it for $5-6k. It does everything I ask of it. I just re-upped he insurance for it today which I had let lapse during COVID. I need that for the music fests.
 Good luck in the hunt.

21incher

Quote from: JD Guy on May 19, 2022, 01:42:47 PM
21 incher:We will use this much as most of y'all do, to get firewood from places the tractors and pickup can't go, fence maintenance, pond maintenance and general duties on our 75 acres. The one thing I do not need to deal with is snow removal😀. Very few know how to drive in the stuff anyway so as a defensive measure it's best to wait a day or so and the snow is gone!
I am sure you will appreciate whatever one you acquire.  Just becareful if you buy an older machine that could need repairs in the near future. Repair parts can take some time to to get these days (even warranty parts for new machines take extra time)  It's a good write off if you have a farm and many have discounts for farmers available that can help the budget.  Good luck in your  search. Let us know what  you choose. 

JD Guy

Old Greenhorn and 21 incher, Thanks for the recommendations and for sure when I pick up a machine I will let you know 21: Liked the videos, I don't think we have anywhere on our place that we could drive that fast😁

samandothers

Quote from: 21incher on May 14, 2022, 12:28:11 PM
This thing pulls good but I just found out it's not a skidder and no match for a  big ash tree laying  over in the woods 🙄.
This sounded bad, as in gears were lost. :o
I was afraid I was going to read a follow up post that new parts were needed for repair and could not be had! 

21incher

Quote from: samandothers on May 20, 2022, 09:23:22 PM
Quote from: 21incher on May 14, 2022, 12:28:11 PM
This thing pulls good but I just found out it's not a skidder and no match for a  big ash tree laying  over in the woods 🙄.
This sounded bad, as in gears were lost. :o
I was afraid I was going to read a follow up post that new parts were needed for repair and could not be had!
No, nothing breaks, it just doesn't pull like a tractor. It weighs about  1800 pounds and the low gear with a centrifugal clutch buries the wheels easily with a heavy dead load behind it. With my tractor  I can put it in low gear and it chugs along very slowly with high torque that doesn't  spin the wheels as easily causing it to loose traction. If it starts loosing  traction the wheels remain at the same slow speed and still pull hard. With this you can try to pull slowly but if the load doesn't  start moving you have to press on the gas pedal more and it's  a very fine line between moving the load and the tires spinning. When the tires loose traction they spin faster digging deeper holes. It's a fine line that a centrifugal clutch doesn't control as well as hydraulic  or gear drive. With  a load that is lighter then the Sidekick it's  not bad but hook on to a 2500 pound ash log on soft ground and it's  not moving. I put the 5k pound winch on it now that hopefully will help drag some of the bigger stuff out. It's  going  to be firewood so I also can cut it smaller. Just playing now because  I don't  have enough  strength  back yet to pick the blocks up if I cut them. I have to modify my log arch to work with  this that should  be a really  good combination. 

SwampDonkey

You need a log arch. A SxS or ATV hasn't the weight behind it nor the wheel diameter to skid wood. You're not going to skid wood out to a field from any distance to conveniently buck it up. She's bucked where she falls. The more convenience you desire, the more money. $$ ;) By the time a guy rigs up a pulley system for each tree he falls, he could have bucked 3 trees, loaded and hauled them out and been 3 x ahead. Assuming the pulley system goes smoothly. 

gspren

Yes get your arch behind the Kubota. My Kubota UTV is the 400 which was about the smallest one they made and the arch made it possible to get some big stuff out. My arch will only handle about 22" trees so when I had a 26" oak blow over I bucked it in place and used the arch to get the 18" long pieces out one at a time, slow but got it done.

Greenie

We had a 2005 or 2007 Polaris Ranger - fuel injected. Horrible experience. If I could have bolted on a carburetor it may have been more reliable but as it was it was hard starting, prone to breakdowns and backfires. Eventually we got the fuel injected issues resolved after 10 years than we started replacing clutches and starters very frequently. It was not a machine I would trust to get me where I wanted to go.
Maybe the newer Rangers are better, but that one left a scar.
We replaced the Ranger in 2018 with a Kubota RTV X900 - much slower but more reliable. 

SwampDonkey

I know several folks with Ranger 570's, never heard anything negative about them. Only stickler about any of the vehicle type is they sell them all with crap tires. It's a money game. Fine for awhile if you're just using it in a big yard lot or farm fields, once you get into 'poke the tires' type trails, good luck. I use mine quite a bit for yard work here. Most any project I start, I want the Ranger involved. :D This spring projects: hauling off flu brick from the barn, making fence posts, hauling manure and topsoil, picking up downed tree sticks. And as usual, hauling the water pump and water tank with creek water for the gardens. And gathering all the firewood, 10 cords worth. A bike trail is a lot cheaper than a road and keeps the trash off my land, literally and figuratively. :D

Mooseherder

I visited a Polaris dealer yesterday about a side by side.   Looks like Maine passed a similar law for width and weight.  The machine we've been wanting is now over weight.    :(

2021-2022 ATV laws online!

Old Greenhorn

I just read the highlights on that law. It seems punitive for some reason. I wonder what the reasoning is? In NYS we can't register them but we can insure them and use them on private land, just not state ATV trails. This was a result of the ATV clubs not wanting sxs on their trails. Both states have stupid laws, IMO.
 My '07 Mule weighs around 1,300 pounds, but I would have to measure the width.

21incher

Its scary  how these laws can limit taxpayers from using a trail system they paid for. What's  to stop them from doing this on state roads next.  Want trucks off your roads pass a law nothing  over 4k pounds or 72 inches can use them. Mine is about  1800 pounds dry so that eliminates my chance of registering it. I have been told insurance only covers you on land you own and not at public events or friends property.  

Mooseherder

The dealer said he can legally build and add options on a machine that weighs under the weight and gave an example of a base side by side that weighs 1950 lbs stock because that is what the title will say.  ::)
The machine will weigh 220 lbs more when done but it will be legal.  Machines bought before are grandfathered in.

He also said this came about when Mahindra started selling machines that looked like Jeeps and landowners said why are their Jeeps on my property!?
I think Jeep successfully stopped Mahindra and the production on them?  Then you have an aftermarket crowd that'll build Bigfoot to be bigger than the neighbors' if they can't buy it that way.  

SwampDonkey

snowstorm

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 09, 2022, 07:26:33 AM
I visited a Polaris dealer yesterday about a side by side.   Looks like Maine passed a similar law for width and weight.  The machine we've been wanting is now over weight.    :(

2021-2022 ATV laws online!
ranger crew northstar??whitch dealer? i bought 2 from the guys in mapleton. no one will fuss about the weigh. there is a narrow bridge outside of pi that you will not be able to cross

nativewolf

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 09, 2022, 08:49:01 AM
I just read the highlights on that law. It seems punitive for some reason. I wonder what the reasoning is? In NYS we can't register them but we can insure them and use them on private land, just not state ATV trails. This was a result of the ATV clubs not wanting sxs on their trails. Both states have stupid laws, IMO.
My '07 Mule weighs around 1,300 pounds, but I would have to measure the width.
Democracy is a funny thing, usually when you see a club like that lobbying a govt regulator that want to relax some rule or to tighten rules for other types of users.  More common would be to see off road bicycle users not wanting ATV of any sort on the trails.  If an ATV club got a rule imposed that's democracy at work and if enough users find it problematic they can organize and have the rule rescinded but the reason the rule is there is that your neighbors asked for it and the elected officials responded to citizens requests for the rule change- it's a good thing to see democracy working.  I am curious as to why the ATV clubs against the SxS?  When they discussed the rule change did anyone object?
Are there a lot of these ATV trails up there in NY or Maine?  There are a few here in VA but I don't think there are any restrictive rules, just that you can't use them on roads.   
Liking Walnut

Mooseherder

Snowstorm,  yes to the Northstar at that dealer.  Great people to deal with.  I guess time will tell but the way it sounded they won't even be able to order it without getting special exemption stating the owner will only use it on their own property or neighbors property with written permission.  There was a machine there waiting to be picked up and will serve as a test to see if the new owner will be able to register normally.  We will see.  

Nativewolf,  There are thousands of miles of trails and even more for snowmobiling.   I think it's getting harder to get volunteers to fix and maintain the trails.  The generation that built them in the northern part of the state I know are in their 70's.  I had to chuckle about the democracy reference. 

SwampDonkey

Me to on democracy, it's a handful of people. Government officials usually call them 'the fringe minority' when they don't agree with them. :D

Thank You Sponsors!