iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have a Kubota Sidekick? Finally Got One

Started by 21incher, March 24, 2021, 12:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Well after 14 months of waiting I finally got one. Not the one I ordered because that's still not made. My dealer saw a dealer 4 hours away got one in and did some horse trading to get it. Going to take a while for the roof to arrive though. It's a tough little beast and extremely peppy. Glad I took a couple pics before it was totally covered in mud. My dealer is awesome, he held the original quote and rebates. 

It's one tough cookie built on the diesel RTV chassis so It should last. I love it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

I feel sorry  for my dealer.  Kubota is not delivering machines that were promised to him and he is scrambling all over the northeast to find machines. Can't  believe he held the original  price and didn't  add freight, price increases, or prep.  Pays to have a small town dealer that cares about  every customer.  Was ready to switch  to Polaris next month but glad he came through.  This came out a couple  grand less then a 570 ranger out the door and is a much heavier  built machine. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Never seen any issues with my 570 as far as being rugged enough. They are well built tough machines. I don't even have power steering, and that's no issue either. We're not talking about trying to turn a tractor or a semi. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

The wait time for a Ranger was about 5 months last May.  My SIL ordered a 570 atv and it took 2 months.  I dunno what it is now but I'll stop in and see the dealer soon.  I want an enclosed cab.

aigheadish

Nice ride 21incher! 

The specs on those things are nuts! 48hp and 1800lbs? My Civic only weighs 1000 more pounds than that! 

I've been considering an electric golf cart to have around the yard as a tool carrier, wheelbarrow, etc. My needs are minor and my budget is even more minor. While something like what you guys are talking about seem sweet it seems like way too much for my little 6 acres of land. I'd like something to park in the garage and just hop in and go, but also carry some stuff. 

I have a Chinese 250cc buggy that would work but it's not very handy to get in and out of. The buggy and the mower can both pull a little yard wagon around but it'd be nice to have the little bed on the back of a golf cart and again, just hop in and go.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

This one has a speed sensitive power steering that is really  nice. At low speeds you can turn it with zero force but the faster  you go the steering stiffens  up. 

I am adding a cab one part at a time. The roof is on order and this fall I am adding the windshield for the front. The doors and rear panel will be added next spring. Then I sill just have to add the factory  heater. My local Polaris dealer is getting quite a few in now so you should check to see if yours has any incoming available.  Polaris just added a big delivery  surcharge that seems to speed delivery  up.

My wife has a golf cart that's good for the dry areas of the yard but has no clearance so forget taking  it in the woods or swamp. This one is built on the diesel rtv chassis so it's  a little  heavier  then others in the class.

Mooseherder

SwampDonkey

snobdds

Nice machine.  They look nice when they are all new.  

I ended up with the Polaris machines as I like their power at my altitude.  

farmfromkansas

I finally got the doors for my Ranger 570, they hinge on the rear.  They have a little rubber strip for a stop, but if the wind is blowing you really have to hang onto the door.  Would have preferred front hinges I think.  The good thing is the frame is made so the door fits into it, kind of like on your pickup truck.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

21incher

The doors for this are really nice and hinge from the back with roll up windows. They cost $3400.00 for the set and have a steel tubular frame. None of them are perfect though.

SwampDonkey

I think being rear hinged on a utility vehicle is a better idea than front hinged. I think there has been lots of research behind it. ;)

I do a lot of in and out, so the least I have to fiddle getting in and out the better, so I'm not putting doors on mine. A good windshield with mirror and a steel roof is all. I might get an under the seat box for tools though. :)

gspren

On my Kubota I have the hard top and a windshield, no doors or rear window, that's been working well for years and I don't plan to change although I'm not as far north as some of you.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

I made a couple videos about it. Love the machine. 
After 14 Months Of Waiting Finally Got My 2022 Kubota RTV XG850 - YouTube
The oem tires sucked in mud and I knew they would need replacing because they weren't the ones I ordered. These are the Carlisle HD ACT radials I switched to
New Carlisle ACT HD 6 Ply 26x11R12 Tires For GIZMO - YouTube
It's one tough little machine.

aigheadish

Looks pretty sweet 21incher! Seems like they thought of a bunch of nice touches on there. I really like the under-seat toolbox! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Mooseherder

I saw one on a trailer yesterday. It had a V-Plow on it.  What a nice Machine.  :)

snowstorm

Quote from: 21incher on April 27, 2022, 08:06:25 PM
The doors for this are really nice and hinge from the back with roll up windows. They cost $3400.00 for the set and have a steel tubular frame. None of them are perfect though.
Some Polaris dealers will discount the doors quite a bit. I get 20% off on most stuff. But I did buy a new general and ranger from him. The doors for my general were 1900 2 years ago

Old Greenhorn

Been following along here and am glad to see you've hooked up with a nice machine. That one has some spunk to it. I know a few guys that keep them for just plowing their homesites before they jump in the big truck to go off and move snow all day.
 On the subject of cabs, doors, windshields, etc. I have a Kawasaki mule. It's an old one I bought in pieces and rebuilt it. It got me started and has done a lot more work than one would ever expect, skidding logs, etc. It came with a steel Curtis Cab, DOT windshield, windshield defroster fan, and heater kit from them. I use it for plowing both my driveways and helping out the 'less than self-sufficient' neighbors. I love how I can just lift the doors off the hinges in the spring and leave them off all summer, then replace them when the weather closes in. The cab does add weight for sure, but it makes it into a vehicle rather than a buggy, for me anyway. Of course I bolted and big LED light on the front of the roof and two work lights off the back and added a switch panel and 'other stuff' (radio, antenna, etc.). I also use it for music festivals where i serve as an EMT.
 I just checked to make sure they are still in business and see that they have expanded their product offerings quite a bit and their website has gone through a huge upgrade. I also see they make a cab for your machine. https://curtisindustries.net/product/kubota-rtv-sidekick-xg850-steel-cab/ 
 So it's just another thought. I can tell you when I am plowing my way through a major storm and that heater finally kicks in and I have to take my coat off, it makes me smile every time. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JD Guy

This thread surfaced at a good time as I am in the hunt for a side by side but most likely preowned and hopefully "lightly used" 😁. The used market must be pretty good right now though because those that I find interesting are sold within a couple of days and appear to be at almost the price they were new 2-3 years ago. I have been narrowing it down to Polaris Ranger, Kawasaki Mule and Club Car CarryAll. Any advice would be welcome and appreciated. We are in Upstate of SC. Thanks!

Old Greenhorn

What kind of terrain do you have? Flat or steep?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

farmfromkansas

My Ranger has been running fine, starts in cold weather, and so far has not lost any coolant or oil,  But it is not a Honda.  The thing is light weight, the receiver hitch is so tight have to struggle to get the boom for my sprayer in it, Reverse is a pain, thing has a gearshift like a pickup, but backwards, and reverse is hard to get into right.  My hired man would put it in reverse, rev it up and you could hear the gears just slightly hitting. The big thing for polaris is to sell you over priced oil and filters.  In the book they give you part numbers instead of specs for oil and filters. Bed is a pain to dump, and only can operate from the drivers side.  My old Kawasaki Teryx bed worked much better. No hooks in the bed to strap your sprayer down.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

21incher

OGH those Curtis cabs are nice and do last for years.  Getting anything  for these units now is very hard. Big commercial users like the military ( that's why there is a green one available) ,  malls, and colleges are first  in line. I doubt this will handle the lake snow we get so my butt will most likely keep using the 3point blower for most snow removal. Hopefully  in a year or 2 prices and availability  will get back to normal on the cab parts.

Quote from: JD Guy on May 13, 2022, 09:32:06 PM
This thread surfaced at a good time as I am in the hunt for a side by side but most likely preowned and hopefully "lightly used" 😁. The used market must be pretty good right now though because those that I find interesting are sold within a couple of days and appear to be at almost the price they were new 2-3 years ago. I have been narrowing it down to Polaris Ranger, Kawasaki Mule and Club Car CarryAll. Any advice would be welcome and appreciated. We are in Upstate of SC. Thanks!
I found this sidekick model was the lowest priced heaviest duty UTV I could find. It cost less then a used machine and came with  a 2 year 1000 hour warranty coverage.  1000 pound bed capacity and 2000 pound tow rating. My dealer did not add freight or prep which was $2000.00 extra on the Polaris model with  the current  surcharge on freight at the local dealer. Plus there was a big rebate and dealer discount on this machine. It is heavy and over built so not the best for trails and governor limited to 42 MPH for safety but so far works good for my needs. This wouldn't  be my first  choice for trail riding in wide open spaces. The big thing is to decide exactly what you need the machine  for then set a budget. One thing I found out after buying  it, is in NY you can't register UTVs that weigh over 1000 pounds to be able to get a plate and use state trails like my grandson and I had planned. 

Mooseherder

That's too bad with the trail news. We see them on Maine trails.  They need to revisit this overreach.  Probably targeted at some wilder machines out there.  You can come here to ride anytime my friend.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that doesn't seem fair at all on the weight and plates. Some people can dream up the weirdest crap in an office. ;D ;)

No restrictions on weight here either. Course I just use my own land anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!