iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Build a Flatbed

Started by firefighter ontheside, April 26, 2022, 02:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

Lookin' nice! smiley_thumbsup
For side boxes it depends how much you want to spend, I see some ready made steel and aluminum ones available online. Less expensive way would be to get a used metal shop cabinet modify it to fit, and seal it up weather tight.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

firefighter ontheside

Thanks.  I've been doing some polishing of the aluminum and scraping some concrete spatter off of it.  Sometimes I really wish I was a metal worker along with being a woodworker.  If I could just weld, it would really be helpful.  I see a lot of regular truck tool boxes going for cheap and think, if I was a metal worker I might be able to make that into an underbody box or two.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

hedgerow

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 15, 2022, 09:17:46 PM
Thanks.  I've been doing some polishing of the aluminum and scraping some concrete spatter off of it.  Sometimes I really wish I was a metal worker along with being a woodworker.  If I could just weld, it would really be helpful.  I see a lot of regular truck tool boxes going for cheap and think, if I was a metal worker I might be able to make that into an underbody box or two.
Just keep watching Facebook market place and Craigslist you find some aluminum tool boxes. I wouldn't put a steel one on that nice bed. I just had one on my bed I found it at a swap meet. There wasn't room to have one on each side on my Ford. Back before I had a fuel trailer, tool trailer I would put a fuel tank and tool box on the flat bed during planting and harvest and take them off the rest of the year.  

firefighter ontheside

A guy was selling 2 boxes that were too big, but otherwise perfect.  I need 24" and his were 36".  I'm not in a hurry, so I will keep watching for some.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

My truck hauled its first load...one piece of 4/4 oak live edge for a guy at work.  I wish I could say it was earning me money, but I gave him the piece of wood for free.  I brought the truck in so I could work on it in the evening.  I managed to get the back up lights and the 3 little center marker lights wired.  I have several more marker lights to get done and then the bed will be all wired.  I also power washed the bed to get rid of the grime that was on it from its previous life.  

The speedo quit working on the way to work the other morning, so I have to figure that out.  It got a new speed sensor right after I got it, so I suspect the wire harness has lost contact.  I will take it back to the shop that installed it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!