iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Daily driver opinions

Started by NHtreefarmahfan, April 30, 2022, 12:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHtreefarmahfan

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the weekend. Just pulled the trigger on a new run about pickup truck. 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 single cab short bed. 318 magnum,5 speed standard and 4x4 with the manual shift T case. It has 80k miles. Was looking to see what peoples opinions are on that drive train setup and what to expect. As well as any preventative stuff I should do. I have always been a diehard ford fan but as I'm sure you all know the markets are crazy on used equipment and vehicles. And this dodge was the best I could find in the area. 
1965 JD 350 logger special "Johnny Boy"

sawguy21

Good solid truck if it has been properly  maintained but as you are well aware rust is a major concern on any vehicle from the north east. Have a good look at the front end particularly ball joints and tie rod ends.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Good trucks.  A 318 is hard to beat for longevity.  How much rust are the fender flares hiding?  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

NHtreefarmahfan

Ahh sounds like someone else knows the only thing fender flares are good for   :D Luckily these ones are not to bad. The only real rust was in the rockers and it's so far just a little flakey so I think if I jump on it quick I can stop it... for now  :D 

NHtreefarmahfan

Are dodges known for front end issues? I checked and all seems tight. Doesn't bounce off the road at highway speeds or anything lol. From what I gather the truck was only used for runs to the dump and hardware store so doesn't seem to have been beat on 

rusticretreater

I have a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7 liter, 5 speed Getrag trans and 4 wheel drive at 140k miles.  The driveline is good n solid.  Never had a problem with the 4 wheel drive.  

One thing you should check immediately is the brake lines.  I have a 2004 Chrysler 300 as well and I have replaced brake lines on both vehicles.  They get real bad along the side of the engine going to the front calipers where water splashes on them.  You can order stainless steel CNC bent replacements.  Fit is OEM.  Both vehicles I lost brake power while driving.  Get ahead of it and fix it now.

Take off the serpentine belt and wiggle the fan to check the water pump bearing.  I had some overheating issues a while back.  Found the bearing going bad and also the aux electric fan was burned out.  When the engine hits 260 degrees or the A/C is turned on, the electric fan is turned on too.  I replaced the water pump, the temp sending switch and the fan.

I had an issue a few years ago where my battery seemed weak and found that the fuel gauge sending unit was worn out and draining the battery.

Completely rebuilt the front end at around 120K.  I couldn't even go 70mph steady on the highway.  Upper and lower ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends.

Dodge Rams are known for having frame rot just behind the cab at the area of the truck bed mounts.  Dodge Dakotas have two piece frames so they can put different cabs and truck bed sizes on it.  I have frame rot at the junction and am doing a bed off fix, clean and rust proofing the entire frame from cab to rear in a few months.

I replaced the exhaust with a flow master cat back setup when the front pipe started to give out 2 years ago.

My truck is for working and it pulls a trailer often and I also have to go on my second property in 4 wheel drive.

Seems like a lot, but its wayyyyyyyyyy less than a new truck, with property tax and insurance.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Log-it-up

Good looking truck 
I would smear some Vaseline on the rusty spots sounds crazy but works really good at slowing it down almost stopping spread I've done in the past 
I've owned a few of the 2nd gen dodges there stout trucks not the most fuel efficient but strong 
The biggest thing with those is ball joints I would replace them in my half 1500 models every year but I was also younger and ran much lager tires when I started buying 2500 models they weren't so bad about every two years 
The other thing (s) is the front universal joints are weak so in a tight spot spinning the tires in 4wd drive try not to turn the wheel keep the it straight put alote less torque on them also the 4wd drive actuator is known to fault leaving the front end engage all the time this is a square box on the passenger side of the front axle with small hoses and small electric line running to it 
 On the good side the 5 speed is a good thing as the transmission in those years where junk 
Hopefully this doesn't make you sour I've pretty much all ways owned Chrysler products and miss my old trucks my first was a 95 Ram a lot like yours got when I was 16 drove it for 2.5 years it had around 180k when I sold it but ran for other year until a maple tree got the best of it 

farmfromkansas

When I wash my 04 Chevy Silverado, I take the plugs out of the inside of the rear fenders, and wash the dirt out of the fenders.  They also have plugs under the cab so you can clean the dirt out of the cavities in the rocker panels and cab corners.  I have no rust in the Chevy.  First thing I did when I got my 05 Ford F-450 was to wash all the dirt out from the underside of the cab and over the front fenders.  You can get a hose up where you can wash the dirt off the top of the fenders.  Amazing how dirt collects where it can damage your vehicle body. Also took the plastic pieces on the edge of the floor, was amazed how much dirt was under the rubber floor.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

NHtreefarmahfan

Second day commuting to work in the new truck. My drive is 45min 99% highway. So far very pleased with the ride and comfort of this 22 year old truck. Thank you all for the information. I think I found a diamond in the rough in what is the crazy used vehicle market right now. 

firefighter ontheside

Good deal.  Sounds like you did well.  I'm a diehard Ford fan myself, but just bought a 1998 Dodge 3500 Ram flatbed.   I was looking for a Ford, but came across this with relatively low miles.  I wanted an automatic to make it easier for my wife to drive it and eventually my son when he turns 16 next year.  He can learn to drive a truck in this instead of my nice truck.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

hedgerow

NHtreefarmahfan   I am mostly a Ford or Chevy guy but about five years ago I needed a farm knock around truck. Bought a 1995 Dodge Dakota 4X4 with a 318 not rusted with the T case out and about 80,000 on it. I put a used T case and a new front drive shaft in it. I sold it a while back with 160,000 on it and that 318 still ran great. Sold it to a guy that had one that was a twin to this one but was two wheel drive and had 300,000 plus on it and the 318 was still going strong. 

NHtreefarmahfan

Very happy with the 318 seems pretty stout plenty of power for what I use it for. this was my first full week driving it to work and no complaints. brought it to my local Valvoline for a inspection sticker. they are know to be pretty tough on there inspections. Person in front me failed inspection on a 2019 Toyota for ABS light so these guys don't let anything slide. So the only thing he got me for was front break pads otherwise the truck was clean. Told him ill be back in a hour or so. I went and changed the pads brought it back guy said that was fast  :o  :D didn't even pop a wheel off to check. Gave me my sticker and that was that. so maybe you guys can tell me how I did. All in all with the cost of the truck, title fee, inspection and the cost to get it to pass inspection. I'm into it for just shy of 8K the truck itself I payed 7700 for. The way I see it is that I own it. And its in a condition to where if I took good care of it it should last me a few years to come. A lot of people my age don't realize how nice it is not having a car payment and how much money you can save. I have never had a car payment and don't ever plan on having one. I paid a more than what I wanted (they had it listed for 9k  :o so I beat them up a little 8)) but there is pretty much nothing for used vehicles in my area. Well apologies for the long winded post hope your all enjoying the weekend!

Old Greenhorn

You did REAL well I think. Inspections in our state will not fail you for ABS lights, that's a BS thing anyway, those sensors are terrible and fail all the time. My wife's has been lit for a while, new brakes all around. BS.
 Yeah I had a 2500 and had to replace a link/drag bar/ thingy in the front end twice. The front end would get a death shake at a certain speed if you hit a bump. Don't freak out, it's and easy job and not too costly. The first time it happens though, you will think you are about to die in an ugly crash. :D
 That 318 is a long living engine, rock solid.
 Yeah, you done good boy! (Well, that's what my Uncle would tell me on those rare days.)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

NHtreefarmahfan

Thank you Green horn for the kind words  :) 8) Makes me feel better about spending the money  :D The days of the 1000-2000 dollar run around pickup truck are over it seems. Its the kids my age that made the old trucks popular and drove the prices up. Or the people that see the prices of a restored truck at the Barret Jackson auction. Then start to think that old pickum truck with a tree growin out the hood in the back 40 is worth the same  :D  

firefighter ontheside

I paid 8,000 for my truck and have put another 2,000 in it with a new ball joint, temp sensor and the new/used aluminum bed.  My ABS light is on and it passed safety.  My budget was 10,000 so if it runs good for several years I'll be happy with my purchase.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!