The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Class Reunions  (Read 1117 times)

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Re: Class Reunions
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2022, 08:55:01 PM »
I have been reading along since this thread started. I figured most folks would not understand why I would have practically zero interest in my high school reunion. But I was wrong.
 I had an oddball experience. I went to a technical AND vocational high school that also had an academic track (the minority of students). It was one of the best best High Schools with such programs on the east coast. One other was Brooklyn Tech. The folks in vocational programs in my school were actually recruited directly by businesses and hired right into good jobs on graduation. The folks in the technical programs pretty much all went to college for their chosen program. I was in Mechanical Tech, college prep for engineering and manufacturing work. We also had Machine shop (voc), Beauty Culture (voc), Horticulture (tech), Auto mechanics (voc), automotive tech (tech), Instrumentation and automation (tech), and Ornamental Horticulture (voc and tech). My brother graduated from the same school in '63 in the last graduating class of Agricultural tech (tech) before they changed it to horticulture. The school has a campus of about 60 acres with working farm fields, a radio station, and observatory, many shop buildings, etc. I tell you all this to explain that the people in the school were largely fragmented by fields of study and our 'contact group' was mostly those 25 or so folks in our own grade and filed of study. I think there were 350 in my graduating class and I knew maybe 40 of them.
 Just a couple remained lifelong friends, one was my best man. The rest I don't hardly know. Add to that the fact that I never was comfortable living in a suburban environment and in fact hated it. Most of my classmates remained in that lifestyle even if they moved away. They got good jobs, entered the rat race and set about earning more money than the guy next door. They retired and moved to FL In fact I saw on FB that a bunch of them have get togethers in FL all the time because they live in the same retirement communities. Not for me. I got out of there by the time I was 30 and never looked back. None of them would understand the way I live or why I prefer this way of life. Money was never a draw for me. Raising my kids in a good place was the priority and money came in abut 3rd or lower.
 I don't really know any of those folks who are still talking about their own high school sports accomplishments. We did loose a bunch of classmates in 9/11 because many worked at the WTC and one of my still close childhood and HS friends was a Medic with FDNY responding to the Towers. Another Worked in the towers, but was delayed on his trip to work that day and survived. He watched the Towers come down from the ferry he was on in the river. I spent 5 years thinking he was dead. I cried most of that night when I thought he was 'gone'. We've since made and kept in contact.

I have no idea, if I was at a reunion, what I could talk about. We have nothing in common and they can't begin to understand me. It's a 2 hour drive, plus a motel room. I really just have no interest. I am surprised and pleased to see that I am not alone. Life is in front of me (what's left anyway), not behind me. At least that's how I see it. 

I'll save that money for a pig roast in MI or a project in GA. :D :) That's where my heart and head are now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2022, 09:34:51 PM »
I have been reading along since this thread started. I figured most folks would not understand why I would have practically zero interest in my high school reunion. But I was wrong.
 I had an oddball experience. I went to a technical AND vocational high school that also had an academic track (the minority of students). It was one of the best best High Schools with such programs on the east coast. One other was Brooklyn Tech. The folks in vocational programs in my school were actually recruited directly by businesses and hired right into good jobs on graduation. The folks in the technical programs pretty much all went to college for their chosen program. I was in Mechanical Tech, college prep for engineering and manufacturing work. We also had Machine shop (voc), Beauty Culture (voc), Horticulture (tech), Auto mechanics (voc), automotive tech (tech), Instrumentation and automation (tech), and Ornamental Horticulture (voc and tech). My brother graduated from the same school in '63 in the last graduating class of Agricultural tech (tech) before they changed it to horticulture. The school has a campus of about 60 acres with working farm fields, a radio station, and observatory, many shop buildings, etc. I tell you all this to explain that the people in the school were largely fragmented by fields of study and our 'contact group' was mostly those 25 or so folks in our own grade and filed of study. I think there were 350 in my graduating class and I knew maybe 40 of them.
 Just a couple remained lifelong friends, one was my best man. The rest I don't hardly know. Add to that the fact that I never was comfortable living in a suburban environment and in fact hated it. Most of my classmates remained in that lifestyle even if they moved away. They got good jobs, entered the rat race and set about earning more money than the guy next door. They retired and moved to FL In fact I saw on FB that a bunch of them have get togethers in FL all the time because they live in the same retirement communities. Not for me. I got out of there by the time I was 30 and never looked back. None of them would understand the way I live or why I prefer this way of life. Money was never a draw for me. Raising my kids in a good place was the priority and money came in abut 3rd or lower.
 I don't really know any of those folks who are still talking about their own high school sports accomplishments. We did loose a bunch of classmates in 9/11 because many worked at the WTC and one of my still close childhood and HS friends was a Medic with FDNY responding to the Towers. Another Worked in the towers, but was delayed on his trip to work that day and survived. He watched the Towers come down from the ferry he was on in the river. I spent 5 years thinking he was dead. I cried most of that night when I thought he was 'gone'. We've since made and kept in contact.

I have no idea, if I was at a reunion, what I could talk about. We have nothing in common and they can't begin to understand me. It's a 2 hour drive, plus a motel room. I really just have no interest. I am surprised and pleased to see that I am not alone. Life is in front of me (what's left anyway), not behind me. At least that's how I see it.

I'll save that money for a pig roast in MI or a project in GA. :D :) That's where my heart and head are now.
Where was the school OGH?
D

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2022, 09:49:09 PM »
Sewhanaka HS, Floral Park, NY
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2022, 11:16:49 PM »
   What to talk about at your 50+ year class reunion? What you did after you left school, who you married, kids and now grandkids. We talked about the funny things we remembered in school.

I know what some of you mean about HS being the peak of performance for many and those who were high school stars did not always go much further while some of the more mundane students actually did very well for themselves and I find them much more interesting today. In some cases it was the spouses I met who had more in common and enjoyed meeting them.

I did not hate high school, I was in the upper tier academically but not a Rhodes scholar or such. I was more socially awkward in HS and my two brothers and I worked after school and weekends on the family business. I met my wife in college when she moved next door and we were friends for 2 years or so but I did not date her then. I joined the USMC and stopped by to see her on my way back to base, immediately fell in love with her as soon as I saw her again (January 2nd, 1977) and we were married 6 months later (July 2nd, 1977) and life for me was much more enjoyable and memorable from that point on. 

I have enjoyed these 2 reunions, enjoyed a couple of my wife's that we attended (10 & 45 I think) and will try to attend more in the future but many of my classmates are much more interesting to me now than during my HS days. I would not want to go through HS again. I found many years ago I was a much better student at 30-35 than I was at 16-18 y/o and had no fear stopping the instructor if I was not grasping what he was presenting. I felt we were equals then and I was not a bottom of the barrel student while he was on a HS or College pedestal. As I result I learned more that way although some of the instructors had to scramble a little to explain themselves and their topic better.

Our reunions have been very low-key events and not fancy catered affairs that matched my personality more so I enjoyed them very much and regret some of you folks had less memorable/enjoyable experiences.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2022, 11:21:25 PM »
My 70th will be coming up next year. We have them every 5 years and I have made them all back to Yooper land since 1953, but don't know if I will be able to make the trip back for this next one. We have lost about 5 more since the last reunion, so the size is getting down to only one dinner table from an original class of 89. 

~Ron

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2022, 11:54:02 PM »
Ron, were you a Hilltopper or a Redskin.  :)  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2022, 08:21:51 AM »
Besides sports , I hated high school . I saw it as such a huge waste of time . my senior year i missed 128 days of school . I had a note from my dad to the school that I had permission to come to school when i came and leave school when i wanted too , as he wasn't writing any more 'excuse' notes . The kids had to park in the school parking lot at the back of the school and couldn't take their car out of the parking lot until school was done . Since I had to leave for farm related reasons (most of the time) , I was leaving the school parking lot during school hours and coming back . The principle read me the riot act and was going to have the police take my keys when i arrived and not give them back until school was done if i left the school parking lot again . I calmly told him if it was such a problem , i'd just park on the street in front of his office . His face got so red , didn't figure a face could get so red . after that he never said a thing 

I felt mostly what was taught was just more detail over what we were taught in the lower grades . i found school fairly easy , so it was boring . Out of a class of 92 i graduated 88th . plus we had a dairy farm and up @ 5 before school and chores after school , so no time for homework . i had to finish it all at school . My daily work suffered , but my test scores were usually very high . I kept getting 'you're not working up to your potential' bs (when I joined the military my asfab test was one of the highest in the country at that time) 

since I was a farm kid , i didn't really fit in at school . There were the 'jocks' , while i did very well in sports , i never really fit in , as i couldn't hangout with them after school etc , plus they were into not treating the high school girls with respect , so i was always at odds with them over that . Then there was the farm kids . here too i didn't fit in , we had one of the highest producing farms in the country , so i don't know if it was jealously or what , but just didn't click . Then there were the 'nerds' , my best friend in HS was in this category , but after he started college , never really heard from him again 

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »
   One thing I had forgotten was one of our classmates commented about how a bunch of us used to hunt before and after school and our guns would be in the gun racks in the back window of our trucks and another said "Yeah, and nobody ever locked their car doors."

I remember picking up a couple of new hire teachers (Freshly graduated from UWF and probably 21-22 y/o) who drove/car pooled from Pensacola every day. They had a flat tire and I took them to the neighborhood garage and he found and mounted them an old used tire to get them home. I don't remember if he charged them or not. They were a pretty forlorn looking bunch when I first pulled up as they did not know anybody except their students in the community. I was on my way to afternoon duck shooting and I am not sure they were reassured to see me stop with Dad's old double barrel Parker beside me. They were pretty liberal for our part of the country.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2022, 05:11:58 PM »
I have gone to most.  I usually know some of my close friends will be there and get reacquainted with others.  It works well as our small town of Concordia, Ks, has a fall fest and all the classes have a reunion every five years, that weekend.  makes it harder to find a spot to get together.  we ride in the parade and can see others from nearby classes as some come home every year for the weekend.  Can see a game, tour the High School to see what is new.  We are losing more and more each year.  class of 78.  usually, a little drama and most folks are the same person on the inside.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2022, 05:30:00 PM »
I did a little bit of everything in HS.  3 sports a year, band and choir.  part time jobs.  scouts.  I was officially in 9 clubs my freshman year.  As seniors, most of my buddies were friends with or dating a few sophomores, and we are still close between the years.  My best friend Greg and I are still close.  We had a group of about 6 of us that hung out, and we are planning a get together in Aug. in Colorado.  Out next reunion is next September.  Class of 220 and the largest ever in CHS history.  I go to my wifes and she goes to mine.  At the last one, a former homecoming queen must have referred to her spouse as her "X-husband" 2 dozen times. :o I found my stride in college.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2022, 07:29:39 PM »
I thought I typed in a reply this morning but since I don't see it  >:( I'll try again. My class of 1969 quit having reunions 30+ years ago due to poor attendance, they were formal affairs with the guys wearing suits, that's not for me, if they restart with a more casual get-together I'll go. I do like my Navy ships reunion, USS O'Brien DD725, I was a teenager on the last cruise she made to Vietnam and she was decommissioned in Feb 1972, 50 years ago. Other than 2 years halted due to covid we meet every year in different spots all over the country. It's mostly enlisted guys but when one of the officers shows up they are now just one of the gang, works well.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2022, 10:20:46 PM »
gspren
Organize a reunion for your class. Likely others didn't like the formality either. 
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2022, 10:29:50 PM »
I attended my 50th class HS reunion in 2013. With a class of 60, about 30 came. We had already lost 15 members. After a meal, the speeches started, first by the class "leaders" and then by the two teachers that came. When the long talks finally ended, we had a short period where we were able to mill around and meet people we hadn't seen in 50 years. Our school was intergraded and  100 percent of the black students came to the reunion, Shirley. She asked if I remembered her and I replied yes, since  she was unique in our class. She laughed and said I suppose I did stand out.  We then got together for a group picture. By then it was  getting late and I had to get home to check on my very sick wife.  We had a 55th reunion planed by my current wife and a couple of other non class leaders and we all had a ball.  One of our members had a small singing group and sang a few old songs, we had a couple shorts skits with people acting the parts of our old teachers. We had plenty of time to meet and discuss our lives. Our HS was about even divided between country and small town kids. Everyone seemed to get along for the most part.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2022, 04:01:29 AM »
My dad was born in 1935.  his catholic school had one black student in 30 total.  They all got along.  and my dad had handwritten letters that this gentleman wrote almost every year after the reunions.  my dad and mom kept them.  he would summarize and talk about how good it was to see everyone.  there are many who never come.  I wish they knew how people they may have never thought gave a hoot, ask around about how they are doing.  

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2022, 08:09:19 AM »
I was the perpetual new kid in all school, but more so in high school, we moved around a lot, mostly in Cincinnati, but all over the place. I ended up going to 4 different high schools in my freshman and sophomore years, it was rough and I was shy and weird, so I didn't make friends easily. 

I graduated from Lebanon High School (same school as Woody Harrelson) in 1995 and I've never heard a thing from them regarding any reunions and I haven't missed any really either. I ended up with one friend who stayed a friend for several years after school but then he got burnt out on some drugs so we faded away from each other.

It'd be interesting to see some of the folks from those times but I was another one that really did not like school and I was the kind that just squeaked by. Even though I'm not hugely successful I do have it made with a beautiful life. It'd be neat to see who else did the same, though I doubt I'd remember many names. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2022, 10:24:27 AM »
I think some of it is just the nature of people .Some prefer a tight circle and some are friendly to all  .Of course you have the country club set but can't afford a hamburger sandwich. 
A couple times each year a small group of Georgia's HS buds come over and sit around the fire ring .Sip wine or iced tea and roast hot dogs just like they were teen agers while being very classy grand mothers .Of whom I might add were kind of hoity toits some decades back .This is not the mid 60's any more .
Now of course as being a cohost in these events it's my duty to entertain them with stories of my antics from when I wore a younger mans clothes .It' a lot of fun being the class clown once again  8)

Offline Dan W

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2022, 04:18:19 PM »
Was in the top ten of 1953 NMHS graduating class!!!!
Question: How many in your class?
Answer: Nine😏

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2022, 06:25:27 PM »
My dad was an itinerant preacher -aka Methodist minister.  We moved between my 8th grade and freshman year.  I was new at the high school. Seemed like everyone else grew up together.  I was also the second youngest person in our class.  So on a lot of counts I was sort of on the fringe.  

Some how I got hooked up with the Civil Air Patrol.  I have had way more lasting memories from that than high school, except for the girls, I clearly remember the girls.  Seems like they remember me too.   8)

My glory days werent high school at least not as a student, maybe when I was teaching high school.  
LT 35 (Sold) Future Owner Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2022, 06:31:45 PM »
Ron, were you a Hilltopper or a Redskin.  :)  
A Redskin! The Hilltoppers were our rivals!
~Ron

Offline justallan1

• Senior Member x2
  • living and learning
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2022, 09:34:09 AM »
Although I graduated early with a GED, I have bunches of friends on FB that I grew up with and get invited to the reunions every time, but haven't made it yet because of my job and needing to be here. They generally have it at fair time for that county, then kind of take over every bar in town.
It's nice that the cliques during HS have seemed to disappeared and we're all just enjoying life the best we can. I will say that I'm amazed that I have as many "friends" from school that remember me at all, as I was never there.
I may go to one someday, but can't guarantee it. 8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
High School Reunions

Started by Magicman on General Board

16 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 10:54:31 PM
by low_48
xx
TF class

Started by John S on Timber Framing/Log construction

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 02:37:03 PM
by John S