iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mag Drills and Weldon bits

Started by Ljohnsaw, May 02, 2022, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

So I need to drill some hole for 1" pins for hydraulic ram mounts.  I'll be going through some 1.25" or 1.5" plate/bar.  They sell both 1" and 2" length bits.  So I'm guessing I need the 2" even if the "chuck" can fit in the hole a little ways.

They sell HSS and various carbide hybrid bits.  I'm thinking the HSS set would be the way to go and replace them individually with carbide as the need arises, correct?  But the sets are strange.  The cutting diameters in one set are 1/2", 9/16", 11/16", 13/16", 15/16" & 1-1/16".  I think its because they are metric, but maybe I'm wrong?  If I'm hoping to use a 1" pin currently on the ram clevis, should the hole be oversized at 1-1/16"?  That seems a little sloppy.

I could go with a cheap drill around $250-$400 (BlueRock) but they have a short depth range (around 2").  Or I could go all out (in the cheap range) and get a DeWalt DWE1622K that has a 4-3/8" travel for $820.  It has an automatic oiling system that oils from inside the bit.  Not about to spend $4k on the top of the line unit! ::)

I did a couple little handyman jobs so I got the cash for the DeWalt (I like DeWalt and the reviews are real good) and some bits - just need the feedback on the size(s).  I checked all the local pawn shops - nothing available.  Also nothing on CraigsList within 100 miles worth going after (one wore out, beat to death for a high price).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

moodnacreek

Mag drills work great if you have the surface to grab, but I almost never do. Now don't laugh, this is how I have drilled many holes up to 1" with a drill bit in steel. I have my grandfathers Black and decker drill stand that you clamp a 1/2" drill in. Also have a very heavy duty [B&D also] slow speed drill for it. I use it on the floor or clamped to the steel. One hand on the long handle and a squirt oil can in the other. Done a lot of hole sawing with this poor man's drill also.

Ljohnsaw

I forgot to tag @21incher , I figure he's had some experience with these.  Along with @Crusarius and @Cornerstone 
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tom King

HSS will last fine in a magnetic drill press.  I bought the big Milwaukee off ebay for half price, for a tractor repair job, thinking I would sell it when I finished that job, but I liked it so much I kept it.

I'm glad I ended up with that one.  It's a Beast, but will do fine work.

I used it recently to put a marine lifting ring on the front of a mower, so I could lift it easily to change the blades.  It had to go through 3 layers of 1/4" steel, and there were some pretty sensitive steering parts not far beneath the steel.  It made it an easy job.  I wouldn't have attempted that job with a hand held drill.

I pick the 1700 lb. mower up, and set it on the big flat tail end, but the picture was the only one I took of lifting it.

It's a great tool to have, and will make your job an easy one.

On the tractor, that's a 3/4" plate I bolted to good loader mount holes.  I had to drill and tap some screwed up ones.  It made that an easy job too.

Woodside Kai

You can find the bits in 1". The other sizes are more common for clearance when assembling with 1" bolts. You will need the 2" long for your job. I'd only buy the bits you need instead of a set. Hss are fine and if you have a good eye you can re sharpen them. 

Crusarius

The only experience I have with a mag drill is the annular cutters. I scored a set that had the same odd sizes you speak of but I was able to put them in a 3/4" collet in my mill. After the first couple holes through some 3/8 and 1/2" mild steel plate I said I would never drill again.

I need to get more sizes :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Woodside Kai on May 02, 2022, 07:52:01 PMYou can find the bits in 1". The other sizes are more common for clearance when assembling with 1" bolts.  I'd only buy the bits you need instead of a set.
Ahh, that makes sense.  As far as sets go, one bit is $25-$30.  A big set with 11 bits (7/16",1/2",9/16",11/16",5/8",3/4",13/16",7/8",15/16",1" & 1-1/16") is $185.  I figure if I've got the bits in "standard" sizes, I'll find a use on other projects.  I've already suffered drilling too many 1/2" holes and filing it out to 9/16" or 5/8". :-\  I just happen to pick up a 1" depth/2" diameter bit for $2 in a bargain bin last year.  Now that I know what they are used for (and I have the tool!), I'll look for more.

Any particular brand to look for, or look out for?
John Sawicky

Cornerstone

Just another reason why HSS annular cutters are so fast is because they don't have as much material to remove as a standard drill bit. They only cut out about 1/8" of any size hole, then the center plug falls out. I've also noticed the mag drills don't spin as fast as my Dewalt drill guns or my drill press. I believe they cut more efficiently at the slower speeds.  
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Cornerstone

Quote from: Tom King on May 02, 2022, 07:28:44 PM
I pick the 1700 lb. mower up, and set it on the big flat tail end
This is an excellent idea! I presume you do this for taking blades off or any other kind of work that needs to be done under the mower deck? It's literally a giant pain in the neck, the day after I do that job laying on my side with the front end on jack stands. Any other things to be concerned with when you do that? This makes me want to go and sharpen my blades on my gravely 260z now!
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.

Tom King

Yes.  I like sharp blades, but won't get under a mower, so might as well do it so I don't even have to bend over.  That marine lifting ring will lift 5,500 pounds, but even with that, I'm not getting under anything.

I set the mower back down, and don't run it until the next day.  I don't know where the oil goes in the 35hp Kawasaki (only motor that mower was available with).  It never smokes after leaving it overnight.  I didn't want to try it right away.

A 1" hole is no big deal for a big magnetic drill.  I would probably go 1/2, 3/4, and then to the 1".  They work good with car reamers too.  I drilled that 3/4" hole with a 1/2" bit, and finished with the 3/4.  It's variable speed, constant torque, as well as a couple of speed ranges.  If the bit will cut, it's going right through something.

It seems to me like it cuts easier than a regular drill press.

Don P

Having done that with the tractor style mower, there's a boat winch and pulley on the shed beam at the barn. If you lift it clear you'll need to chock it to keep the mower from gracefully turning on its tail. I was pulling the transaxle a couple of weeks ago. Uhhh and the battery leaks if you don't remove it  :-[. But what access!

Tom K

As said, the standard clearance for structural connections is 1/16" oversized which translates to the cutter sizes you see in the sets. 

You could always drill oversized and use a brass bushing to bush down to the size you want.

I have a Nitto Kohki so I'm somewhat stuck using there brand of cutters as there isn't much aftermarket available.

Crusarius

Definitely something to think about when ordering one of these. Make sure they do not have proprietary bits.

Tom King

Here's the model I ended up with.  It has a MT3 mount.  The 3/4" chuck can be changed out by hand.  Bits larger than 3/4", I bought with a MT3 shank.

Another good thing about it is the adjustable base.  You can hit the button to activate the magnet, but still slide the drill motor around some, and lock it exactly where you want it with a lever.

I bought it used, with free shipping off ebay for half of retail.  It wasn't hurt, and was extremely well packed to get here in good shape.

Electromagnetic Drill Presses, Motors and Drill Kits | Milwaukee Tool    It's the 4208 model.

It's used for these pin alignment rigs:
https://www.americanmachinetools.com/line_boring.htm

Crusarius

oooh, just found an M18 version. I am in love :)

230Dforme

The gold standard for mag drills and cutters is
Hougen Manufacturing. Used by steel fabricators.

Cornerstone

Quote from: Tom King on May 02, 2022, 09:51:17 PM
Yes.  I like sharp blades, but won't get under a mower, so might as well do it so I don't even have to bend over.  That marine lifting ring will lift 5,500 pounds, but even with that, I'm not getting under anything.
I'll admit it... it gave me the creeps standing under this contraption. I'll be using your method in the future.

Crusarius

I have been wanting to just make a set of planks I can set on a high point in my yard then drive out onto it. I have enough hills I could make that work very easily. Maybe one day I will. I tried the lift from the front thing with the loader but the fluids leaked all over the place so I don't do that anymore.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: 230Dforme on May 04, 2022, 05:24:11 AM
Yeah, but I think that was the ones that start at $3k and go up from there!  I ordered the DeWalt 1622 and it looks like its coming today along with the set of 11 bits.  Now all I need is a plasma cutter.
John Sawicky

scsmith42

Quote from: 230Dforme on May 04, 2022, 05:24:11 AM
I have a Hougen and recall that it was around $1,200 when I bought it 15 years back.  Mine is set up for either annular cutters or drill bits.
Annual cutters are much faster to use.  About the only time that I use the drill chuck is if I'm drilling thick steel with a hole size <1/2", or need to use an oddball hole size such as for threading.
I highly recommend an annular cutter model if you can justify it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Crusarius

The M18 version goes for 2800 :( One day I will justify it!!!!

Ljohnsaw

Well, the DeWalt came this morning (Amazon left it between vehicles on the driveway!) and its a beast.  Must weigh about 30 pounds.  It uses the Weldon chuck for annular cutters (which I also got this afternoon).  The chuck is "tool-less".  You slide it like the chuck on little impact guns.  On Amazon, it was recommending buying a 3/4" chuck and a Weldon to threaded adapter.  Almost did.  I was surprised to see DeWalt included that with the drill!

Tomorrow, I'll be laying out the holes to drill before I cut this up into various parts like hydraulic ram mounts and "hinges" for my grapple attachment.

1" thick.
John Sawicky

Tom King

I would think it would weigh more than 30 pounds.  My Milwaukee weighs 72.

They're great tools.  I'm sure you will find more uses for it.

Crusarius

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Tom King on May 05, 2022, 08:28:52 AMwould think it would weigh more than 30 pounds
Probably, but next to moving logs, its light ;)

Edit: Just weighed the whole box - 46 pounds.
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!