iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sell, Sell, and Sell Some More

Started by YellowHammer, May 09, 2022, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Everybody knows how high prices are on stuff right now, and how, with a probable market downturn coming, prices could drop precipitously.

I've been scavenging through my old stuff and selling it for incredible prices.  

For example, I just sold a 20 year old horse trailer, in good shape, to a trailer dealer for not quite twice what I paid for it, 20 years ago.

Today we sold our old Chevy Avalanche, 144,000 miles, for $4K over Blue Book, to a dealer.  He said he would have it sold next week, no problem.  As a matter of fact, as soon as we went online to get a KBB price, two different dealers immediately emailed us and said they would beat the price, ASAP.  We went in today, and they beat their original "better than KBB" by another $500.  

Also, about a year ago, I got an estimate for our 17 year old Kubota ZD21 commercial diesel skid steer zero turn mower, and it was worth about $3K.  This week I asked again, it's now worth $6.5k, more than double what it was, a year ago.  So it's heading out, see ya, bye.  

Anyway, for all the folks who have old, functional stuff laying around, hit it with a pressure washer and sell it.  That's what I'm doing.  Wow.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

snobdds

I think the party is about over...

The good thing about the industry I'm in, I see when employers start to layoff employees as they submit health insurance cancellations. March was the first month to see a YOY decline and April was same if not more accelerated.  If May comes in with more drops than adds in group health plans...I will call it the early stages of a recession. 

The credit markets are seeing margin calls on lines of credit and borrowing costs tripled in 3 months.  It went up to high and too fast...which means the downside is likely to be the same. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 09, 2022, 04:35:39 PM
Everybody knows how high prices are on stuff right now, and how, with a probable market downturn coming, prices could drop precipitously.

I've been scavenging through my old stuff and selling it for incredible prices.  

For example, I just sold a 20 year old horse trailer, in good shape, to a trailer dealer for not quite twice what I paid for it, 20 years ago.

Today we sold our old Chevy Avalanche, 144,000 miles, for $4K over Blue Book, to a dealer.  He said he would have it sold next week, no problem.  As a matter of fact, as soon as we went online to get a KBB price, two different dealers immediately emailed us and said they would beat the price, ASAP.  We went in today, and they beat their original "better than KBB" by another $500.  

Also, about a year ago, I got an estimate for our 17 year old Kubota ZD21 commercial diesel skid steer zero turn mower, and it was worth about $3K.  This week I asked again, it's now worth $6.5k, more than double what it was, a year ago.  So it's heading out, see ya, bye.  

Anyway, for all the folks who have old, functional stuff laying around, hit it with a pressure washer and sell it.  That's what I'm doing.  Wow.
Looks like the barbecue is at your place money bags 💰 😂

YellowHammer

Yep, Barbecue is on me.  I wonder how much I could get for my grill?

It's amazing how messed up the economy is, for example, the dealer who is buying my zero turn said he has 125 new ones on order, with no definite delivery date with zero on the lot.  This guy owns a business who normally has $40 million in inventory of tractors, mowers, skid steers, etc, and he said he's maybe got $2 million on the lot now.  For him, that's on empty.  

Meanwhile, he has commercial customers that need new new equipment because their old stuff is wearing out.  While we were there a lawn guy came in and said he needed four new commercial mowers, ASAP.  The answer was "There aren't any on the lot, sorry.  You're on the list."

I agree, this has to pop soon, but if someone wants to buy my old, not being used equipment, all it takes is ca$h money.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

farmfromkansas

The implement dealer 30 miles away sells Country Clipper Z turn mowers.  They ordered last fall for this year, and the company said they can deliver half their order.  So they found another company that builds Z turn mowers and have some of those in stock.  Xmark and Country clipper are premium quality mowers, along with the Hustler mowers built at Hesston KS. Saw an ad for Walker mowers at a dealer close by.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

aigheadish

Selling stuff is mighty tempting. The wife and I have both considered selling our cars, mine a 2017 Honda Civic Si, with 53000 miles on it I think I could come close to breaking even, hers a 2020 Honda Passport which she could make about 10k on. The problem is finding uninflated new (used) cars to purchase in their place. It really seems silly to not take advantage of this time but I think we're both holding on. 

If I had the cash sitting around I'd buy an old beater truck and put brand new guts into it to make it a reliable daily driver. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

jb616

Just sold my house for top dollar. I plan to build in the next two years on my property so I will live with my son until then. peoples are crazy  8)

rusticretreater

Living with your son? What are you? Crazy? :D
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SawyerTed

God be with you!  My son and daughter-in-law are living here! :o :o :o  No end in sight!  Aaaccckkkk!  :o :o :o  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

reride82

Quote from: jb616 on May 10, 2022, 11:14:24 AM
Just sold my house for top dollar. I plan to build in the next two years on my property so I will live with my son until then. peoples are crazy  8)
I sold my primary residence last fall for way more than I figured it was worth. Luckily I had a decent rental property I was able to move into until we get our next house built, but I have a few projects to finish before then. I've always had a hard time selling things, but this market is making it easier :D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

aigheadish

You guys are smart other than my kids are too young to move in with. Selling our house right now could help lead to an early retirement!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Larry

I've been thinking........  I'm in a house 3 times bigger than what I need.  It sits on acreage that I have to mow once a week.  A long driveway that I have to maintain. 

I could downsize to something small and with very low maintenance.  Maybe use the profit to get a nice class A diesel pusher.

Two problems, probably couldn't afford fuel for a diesel pusher and I can't find any decent small houses to even look at.  Thinking about building but I don't know at 73 if I have another house build left in me.  View lots are also very hard to find.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Cornerstone

YellowHammer, you've got me to thinking... I've also got a ZD21 diesel mower sitting around. I think I'll put her up for sale and see if there are any folks with more money than sense in my area. 

I've got commercial property on the only main drive into Fort Worth from the northwest side of town. Anyone know if commercial real estate is stupid expensive also? I've thought since everyone seems to be working from their homes these days commercial real estate wasn't affected like residential. 
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

YellowHammer

In the local Craigslist, ZD21 mowers are selling for as much as $8K.  When all the grass mowing companies go out of business the price will be squat.  
YellowHammerisms:

customsawyer

This is very interesting. I have a few pieces of equipment around here that I might be able to sell. I'm scared to, due to how fast the value of the dollar is going down. I've seen places where it took a fist full of money to buy a meal. We are in interesting times. It's very difficult to read what is coming down the pipe. Obviously if you have no use for something now is the time to send it down the line.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kantuckid

Interest rates (if they continue to rise as they are already) will cause many of the pandemic buyers who bought LOTS of items (it's a very long list) on credit to sell or go bankrupt. Some peoples mortgages have gone up hundreds per month lately. 
At the time I consolidated the small loan for our land (under $20K) with a small construction loan in 1980 (under $15K), rates I was offered were a range from 16% to 18%.  Try that rate applied to todays frenzied buyers and see the result... it won't be pretty. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

GAB

With the price increases of the past 18 months for beef, fuel, and other necessities for sustaining life I'd say the inflation numbers being reported are on a per month basis and not yearly.
I'm not an economist, however I think we are in uncharted waters and headed for a long uncomfortable swim.
Can someone tell me what the purchasing power of a C note (or Franklin) of today is compared to a Hamilton of Jan 1970?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

snobdds

All this cheap money that was pumped into the economy in the last few years created huge leverage aginst normally stable assets.  Like Warren Buffet famously says...it's only when the tide goes out that you see who is swimming naked. 

The tide is going out...

YellowHammer

It's a great opportunity to sell and pay off a little debt if you have it. 
YellowHammerisms:

21incher

I started doing that last spring and had people lined up with with cash waiting in line for everything I listed. Don't think it will last much longer with interest rates rising and huge income tax increases kicking in when the current rates expire so start selling asap and ask ridiculous prices to start. My neighbor works with an auctioneer and says auctions are drawing high prices also. Scrap prices aren't bad now either. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Corley5

Selling prices for real estate around here had $$$ flashing in my eyes for our farm but...  If we did that and paid the fees and taxes associated with the sale and then had to buy a place to live in this inflated market. We wouldn't be any farther ahead.
  My old 753 Bobcat is getting pretty long in the tooth and I'm considering getting rid of it while it's still worth something.  There's a Kubota R420 loader at an upcoming local auction but with prices inflated as they are it'll probably bring more than I'm willing to pay.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Big_eddy

I need a diesel truck. I don't want new but used prices are just stupid. No way I'm paying more for a 10yr old truck than it sold for new. And new trucks just aren't there. But I figure with diesel prices going the way they are, interest rates going up, and manufacturers finally starting to fill some orders, in another 12 months or so there will be all kinds of used ones being unloaded. I've made it this far. Trusty rusty is just going to have to hold it together another 12 months.

barbender

Yeah I was thinking about upgrading to a fresher diesel this year for pulling the camper. Not at these prices. I'm hoping for the kind of market correction where everyone else is broke but I still have money, haha.
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

I've just been going around the farm looking for stuff I haven't used in years, and dragging it out of the weeds and selling it.  

I'm about to start collecting all the scrap metal I have, many, many tons at least, and dragging it off to the salvage place, but I don't know what steel is getting these days.  

I have an old 4 wheel hay wagon going out next, I don't have any cows anymore, so don't  need it.  I've got an extra boat that's heading out, then an old fertilizer sprayer, stuff like that.  
YellowHammerisms:

Ljohnsaw

Out here at Schnitzer, heavy iron prepared (less than 4' in length) gets anywhere from $240 to $290/ton.  Unprepared is usually $10-$20 less/ton.  The thin stuff they call tin is in the $160-$190/ton range.  When waiting to weigh out or cash out, I see a lot of "yard art" being hauled in.  Sad to see some really vintage tractors heading off to China.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

I was looking around the place for things that don't/won't work any more to sell but she refuses to leave? ::) :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 13, 2022, 06:29:24 AM
  I was looking around the place for things that don't/won't work any more to sell but she refuses to leave? ::) :D
Now Mr. Green, with a statement like that I'm getting the impression your cruising for the big "D".
For your sake I hope she has a very good sense of humor.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

YellowHammer

Last week, I had my prime mover gooseneck cough up a lung when I had some unexpected issues with my brakes that caused some additional wiring issues.  So I took it in to get repaired and some of the parts were 8 weeks out.  Ouch!  It also had a few other minor problems such as one of the landing gear was broken, the wooden deck was beat up, and one of the wheel bearings was starting to rumble.  Basically, I had several thousand dollars of repairs to put into it to get ready for the next DOT inspection, and it had hauled into the millions of pounds and was on its third set of tires.  It had earned it's keep but I couldn't wait even a couple weeks to get it back on the road.

So the only gooseneck trailer on the lot was an upgrade to this one, and it was very similar to one I had several years ago.  So I said if we can make a deal, I'll write a check.

The dealer, who had sold me the old trailer in the first place not quite a decade ago, pulled up the original purchase order, thought for a second, and said that with all the issues it had, he said he could only pay me exactly what I paid for it way back then.  

I said "deal!"

Anyway, I have a brand new, shiny gooseneck and although it was expensive, with the trade in value of the other trailer, it wasn't too bad and I'm back in operation.  Hopefully it will last as long.  
YellowHammerisms:

Walnut Beast

Yellowhammer all the stuff you had laying around that you sold for top dollar will help pay for it. Congratulations on the new trailer👍. When you get a chance let's see a picture of it! And of coarse with a load of wood 💪

Thank You Sponsors!