iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sand Paper

Started by SwampDonkey, March 11, 2011, 08:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I'm tired of the local supplies of Chinese sand paper. Worthless junk. I can't get good value from sand paper that last less then 30 seconds. I used to buy good Canadian made sand paper locally, but no more. So, I had to order some paper from Lee Valley and not made in China. Anyone buying that Chinese sand paper, good luck.  ::) I'm starting to hate walking into a hardware store around here. Thank goodness for internet or catalog order places like Lee Valley that tell it the way it is. ;)

There, my evening rant.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Well!!  It's about time you made a post.  :D

tyb525

I use Mirka Gold sanding discs for my random orbit :) They last a looooong time.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Left Coast Chris

I strongly recommend ordering the Bargain Box of sand paper from Klingspore Workshop.   Its german made cloth backed and you will have a 5 year supply for $19.95  :o :) 8)

I just ordered (and received) the fine box and Im back in action!! :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Burlkraft

Klingspore is great paper and so is Mirka

I have used both and both are good quality.

Klingspore is the only paper I can use multiple times on my drum sander
Why not just 1 pain free day?

D Hagens

I'm with Burlkraft, I also use 3m on the job site.

SwampDonkey

I was just looking at some paper I had gathered over the years, MasterCraft brand. First it was made in Finland, some was by Gator in the US then Brazil and now China. The Fin and US made paper was far superior in quality to this Chinese stuff, but the price didn't go down.  ::) Gator isn't too bad, I have some orbital disks from them, USA made. I got that at Lowes in Maine.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

I bought some of that Gator stuff a few weeks ago, red discs 120 grit.

I thought something was wrong with my sander, till I realized I was used to Mirka, which works way better out of the box IMO.

I've never used Klingspore but I've heard good things.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

Check to see if it's Chinese.  :D :D

There is a lot more choice in some parts of the US. I'll see how I make out with 3X Norton and some of the other stuff I ordered. I've got the cabinet mostly sanded now. I know the Gator lasted a lot longer than the Mastercraft Chinese substitution. One 1/4 sheet per 3 x 2' surface. 180 grit. Little scratches from the coarser belt sander about drive a man nuts. :D

Ironwood

CARBONDUM, red. It outlasts everything I have tried, Klingspore, Sungold, on and on. Stuff is top notch on my random orbits, I think I pay 25 cent a disk (PSA), and worht every penny. When things dont work it is OBVIOUS.

Ironwood (Sanding fool)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Burlkraft

I also use Indasa paper and I like it a lot.

http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/indasaproducts.html

Lasts like more expensive paper.

ohsoloco

I was just thinking about bringing up a sandpaper topic yesterday when I got my ramdom orbit out.  Are there any brands of hook and loop disks that will stick a second or third time  ???  On a small project I'll use a couple grits and there's still plenty of life left in each one, but they won't stay put on the sander the next time  :-\

woodmills1

I thought the deal with hook and loop was you can reuse

I have PSA and one stick on is all you get, but they cost less
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Larry

Quote from: ohsoloco on March 14, 2011, 08:52:35 PM
Are there any brands of hook and loop disks that will stick a second or third time  ???  On a small project I'll use a couple grits and there's still plenty of life left in each one, but they won't stay put on the sander the next time  :-\

Most of the better brands will stick a second or third time on a good pad.  What folks don't recognise is the pads wear out in a shorter time than ya suppose.

Good excuse to buy more ros's and go with PSA. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tyb525

I use hook and loop on my porter cable ros, the pad hasn't shown any signs of wear, and the paper always sticks, after more than a year.

Hanson

I have always used Mirka gold with good results on my RO, I just picked some Mirka belts for my 2½X14" Porter Cable belt sander and so far they are 100% better than anything else I have tried.

DouginUtah

Are there any brands of hook and loop disks that will stick a second or third time  ???  On a small project I'll use a couple grits and there's still plenty of life left in each one, but they won't stay put on the sander the next time  :-\

You are pressing too hard.  ;)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

I was just thinking about bringing up a sandpaper topic yesterday when I got my ramdom orbit out.  Are there any brands of hook and loop disks that will stick a second or third time  ???  On a small project I'll use a couple grits and there's still plenty of life left in each one, but they won't stay put on the sander the next time  :-\

Mine will barely hold for the first round. The hook pad is warn out, time for a new model. Had this one for at least 15 years. You can get replacement pads, but with everything so cheap now, might as well buy a new one without farting around waiting and sourcing a replacement pad. Also I dropped it a couple years ago and busted the dust skirt and the dust bag is warn. So, time to replace. ;D

ely

klingspor is top notch.

SwampDonkey

3X Norton seems to be good to, I'm using some I had on hand. It really cuts quicker  than that Chinese stuff and I can cover pretty much a hole 2x3' surface with 1/4 square in the palm sander. I ordered some disks than should be here tomorrow. It's made in Canada.

SwampDonkey

Just so you fella's don't have to feel bad for me anymore, I just got my shipment in today. And low and behold one of the paper brands.  ;)

teeter_totter smiley_beertoast

The rest is Norton, including my new water stones (1000/8000) for my new Veritas Honing and Sharping guides.  8) 8) 8) Hoot hoot!  Gotta love nice tools! ;)

Burlkraft

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 16, 2011, 11:55:10 AM
Just so you fella's don't have to feel bad for me anymore, I just got my shipment in today. And low and behold one of the paper brands.  ;)

teeter_totter smiley_beertoast

The rest is Norton, including my new water stones (1000/8000) for my new Veritas Honing and Sharping guides.  8) 8) 8) Hoot hoot!  Gotta love nice tools! ;)

That ain't Canada made!  :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Ok, let me recap for those that lost me. ;)

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 15, 2011, 10:40:34 AM
3X Norton seems to be good to, I'm using some I had on hand. It really cuts quicker  than that Chinese stuff and I can cover pretty much a hole 2x3' surface with 1/4 square in the palm sander. I ordered some disks than should be here tomorrow. It's made in Canada.

Ok, Here are the sanding disks and square sheets made in Canada by Norton that came in as well.

My apologies for not posting this one first. Just testing ya's to see if you was awake. :D :D

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 12, 2011, 08:11:18 PM
I'll see how I make out with 3X Norton and some of the other stuff I ordered.

The Klingspor is the "other stuff I ordered". It didn't name the brand or origin when I ordered the other disks. So maybe it's a clearer picture now. ;D

The Norton 8000x stone is USA and the 1000x is Mexican. They are laminated together and has a nifty carrying case. Not something for the pocket because it's taller than a pocket, but something to keep the wood dust away. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!