iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sand and Logs Don't Mix

Started by Magicman, August 23, 2013, 10:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This is my first time to saw in the Coastal Area.  Sand, sand, sand.  Powdery sand that sticks to everything.  I am sawing framing lumber for a new home from Long Leaf Pine and thankfully the bark is slipping which is helping me to get rid of that stuff.  I also can wash the logs with a hose and the water just disappears into the ground.

In keeping with my recent run of bad luck, my first chore was doing field repairs and putting this little jewel back together.

And then it was on to those sandy logs.  Mostly 12"-16" 12 foot logs.  I've got about 50 more to saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Axe Handle Hound

I'm shuddering just looking at those sand encrusted logs.  What kind of band life have you been getting in those? 

giant splinter

Just wondering how much salt is present in that sand, I have worked around beach sand and it can be nasty on equipment. Its almost impossible to get fine sand out of the bark and just when you think you have a clean log the sand shows up again. All you can do is try to clean the logs the best you can and remove the bark when possible.
roll with it

highleadtimber16

I would charge extra to saw those!!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Chuck White

Those conditions would make you thankful that you have a debarker!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

MM,

you will find sand in, on and under your mill and truck for the next six months,
lots of wash down looks like your best defense. 

Quote from: Chuck White on August 24, 2013, 07:07:19 AM
Those conditions would make you thankful that you have a debarker!  ;)

Chuck that looks like the N. Salmon river through Malone,  sand everywhere!

DGDrls

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on August 23, 2013, 10:07:18 PM
This is my first time to saw in the Coastal Area.  Sand, sand, sand.  Powdery sand that sticks to everything.  I am sawing framing lumber for a new home from Long Leaf Pine and thankfully the bark is slipping which is helping me to get rid of that stuff.  I also can wash the logs with a hose and the water just disappears into the ground.
And then it was on to those sandy logs.  Mostly 12"-16" 12 foot logs.  I've got about 50 more to saw.

Welcome to my world.  There isn't any real dirt within 100miles of here, and even then it's only if you're going north.  Most of my job sites look pretty much like that.  You might need to get your debarker teeth touched up when you get done.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Those logs will have a lot of grit s in them.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Al_Smith

That fine sand would be tough on everything not just the bands .

ND rancher

I have to be careful in my river bottom land or my logs could look like that. Usually pick up logs with skidsteer and stack on junk wood until time to cut.Skidding is a no-no.   Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

redbeard

Sand is enemy #1.or at least tied with metal. Although it dose shine your blades up nice n pretty.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

logboy

I think thats one job I would have turned down, or really raised the price on.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

bandmiller2

I have had poor luck trying to wash or blast off dirt with water,just drives it deeper.Some success with compressed air.I usally clean the bands path with a wire brush and whisk brush.Not good when you see sparks. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JustinW_NZ

I do think it looks pretty neat on dark when swing that sort of stuff and you see sparks though  :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Magicman

Today went very well.  Today's logs had been felled since ~April and the bark is slipping nicely.  A quick rinse after I get it on the sawmill log loader and it is good to go.

This is my first time to saw this much Long Leaf Pine.  It is much more pitchy than the Loblolly that I normally saw so it is much heavier.  The growth rings are about ¼" and very evenly spaced.  I am sawing all framing lumber, but surely this would make some amazing wall paneling.

So far the new engine is also doing well.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Leaf blower. ;D 8) 8) 8)

Sand and logs do mix! We just don't like the soup that comes from the mix. Have a good day anyway. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

barbender

I live on a very fine loamy sand, it does get in everything. It is also hard on lawnmower blades when it gets dry out, think sandblasting :(
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I finished er up with a tally of 5282 bf of framing lumber.  We did so while killing two tractors, one box blade, one dog, seven saw blades, and one well used skid trail.

The customer sat that Massey down on the belly twice just beyond those slabs, but I did not take any pictures of his predicament out of respect to him.  He finally hit a tree which pushed the engine cover back which in turn spewed the radiator.  This was right after a weld broke on the box blade.  The 8N was brought into service and he skidded the remaining logs up before running over a chocolate Lab and then finally the 8N croaked.   :-\

I hit 7 nails which trashed the blades, but each time I had already sawn several hundred bf of lumber so the total blades used for the entire job was only 8.  I lucked out on that but that was just the way the cookie crumbled.  Each metal hit blade cost the customer $25.

It was mentioned above about turning down such jobs.  My job is to saw, and I do not turn down any job, no matter what it is or how far away.  I passed by 4 portable sawmills that I know of between my home and this job, two of which are FF members.

GDinMaine

Trashing tractors, implements and blades is OK, but running over the dog is just plane stupid in my book. 

I agree with you MM about not turning down jobs.  The only one I did say no to, when the "logs" were not even large enough to saw a single 2x4.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

I should not have mentioned the dog, but things were really crazy.  The dog got very content sleeping under the sawmill while I was loading & sawing.  Logs on boards off and he would never move.  Apparently he decided to move over to the 8N and continue his napping.  The customer cranked up and started backing up, and the left front wheel got him. 

Even with all of the crazies, 5282 bf in 2½ days sawing ain't bad.   ;D

GDinMaine

Hope that skidding trail wasn't your way out of the sawing site. Your bf total is quite impressive. Did you do the job by the hour or the board foot?
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

grweldon

I sure wish I could make it to the chikin crispin or that you were going to the sycamore project 2 gathering.  You are quickly becoming my hero!  ;D  One of these days I will have the honor of meeting you!  5200+ board foot is awesome!  Sorry about the crazyness, but you seemed to have come through well!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Kansas

We can get into some serious sand issues down along the Kansas River. We have to cut the cottonwoods up at least 6 inches just because the base of the log has so much silica. Sand definitely means changing blades more often. Not quite as bad as when a skidder pulls them through a creek and gets rocks imbedded in them. Sand just dulls the blade. Rocks can wreck it. Like you, if the logs have lain there a bit, getting the bark off helps. Most of the time we are running too close to being out of inventory, and we can't do it.

Magicman

Quote from: GDinMaine on August 26, 2013, 08:29:14 AM
Hope that skidding trail wasn't your way out of the sawing site. Your bf total is quite impressive. Did you do the job by the hour or the board foot?
My way out was the customer's driveway, which was also the way the the 8N skidded the remaining logs to the sawmill.  I charge by the bf, metal damaged blades, and travel mileage.  The customer provided meals & lodging.

I intended to take a picture of the stickered lumber, but forgot.  Two stacks were well over 6' tall and another about 4'.

Magicman

It seems that I forgot to mention that this was a Wood-Mizer Pro Sawyer Network job.  Thanks WM.   smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!