iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Can't get out of the Gallerie

Started by D._Frederick, September 12, 2006, 12:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

When I log-on to the FF and I see a picture that interests  me, I click on to it. The old gallerie had a command that you could click on to return you to Forum Category page, the new lay-out does not have this feature. If I look at a number pictures, I have to leave the Forestry Forum and log back-in instead of using "back key"

What am I missing?

Tom

I don't know why you are experiencing that problem.  I don't.   

If I have just loaded the forum and am at the opening "Home" page, I can click on one of the random pictures and still use the back button to get back to the Home page.

If I am within the forum and use the "image archive" button to look at the pictures, the gallery opens in a new window and I don't have access to a back button to take me back to the forum.  It makes sense because I didn't really come from there, I initiated a new window.

One thing to recognize is that the Forestry Forum Logo, at the top left of the page, is a link back to the "Home Page".  I use it fairly often.

I also use that "tree" of access at the top of the page that is right next to "The Forestry Forum Sponsored By".  Those levels are clickable and will return you to a desired level.

I also use the drop-down at the bottom right of the page to take me to a specified topic as well as to return me to the topic list of threads that I'm currently perusing.

When I'm into something interesting but want to take a side trip, like "search" the forum, I do a control N and it opens a new window.  There's been many times I have had several instances of the Forum running at the same time.   It comes in handy when you are creating a post and need to search the forum for a post to create a link for your current post.  Just open a new window and do what you need. Your initial window will remain intact and you can copy and paste from one to the other.

The only reasons I can think of that you might be experiencing this "no back-button" problem is that you have used the "image archive" button, or, that you are experiencing a very slow internet connection that isn't responding to your computer's request to initiate a new command at the server.   We have been having a terrible slow-down in past couple of days.  I'm sure it is due to some more of those vandalous slobs tying up the networks with garbage.  DOS = Denial of Service   :)

D._Frederick

Thanks Tom,

Didn't know about the Logo getting  you back to the home page, Thanks.
My "back" works OK, but takes time to clear 6-8 entries.

DanG

One other thing, D;  If you want to use your back button to drop back more than one level, right click on it and it will present you with a menu to go as far back as you want in one step.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jkj

Quote from: DanG on September 14, 2006, 07:50:02 AM
back button... right click on it and it will present you with a menu to go as far back as you want in one step.

Just for completeness, IE should also give you a little triangle beside the back button that gives the same history list.

For dancing with web pages, I've become fond of using the MS optical wheel mouse with two extra buttons, one on each side of the mouse.  I use the left one for "back" and the right one for "forward".  Very quick with no pointer movement needed.

Another thing I often do to hold my "place" is open a link with the right click "Open in a New Window" option.  (This is easier to manage with dual monitors but still works OK with one.)  Regardless of the wandering around I do in the new window, the original page will still be there.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

SwampDonkey

You could do that within one session of Firefox, by using tab browsing, so you don't have to open extra browser tasks.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Well, I must report new findings that indicate, inconclusively of course, that D_Frederick may not be crazy after all. ;D

I was at my Dad's house this evening and we logged on so he could look at my gallery.  When we got done, I couldn't get back to the index page.  The FF logo in the corner should take you to the front door page, but it is in some kind of a pop-up format and he has pop-ups disabled on his computer.  Also, the back button would only take me back to the first gallery page. ???

Would it be a problem to add a link somewhere on that page that would just take ya back to da index?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

DanG
When I get in the forum, and I then go to the gallery, the gallery is a new window. Can't back out of it. But can either open the forum window which is still running, or click on the FF logo and go to the home page (then all three are running). Seems several options, but not sure that is how your Dad's system is set up.
I.E.  If I close the gallery, the forum is up and running already.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Dad is running Win98.  I checked, and it wasn't opening a new window, though it sorta acted that way.  It seems to me to only be a problem on Win98 with pop-ups blocked.  A simple link to the Index Page should fix it.

beenthere

Puzzling. as I run Win98, and have pop-ups blocked too.
But I'm no whiz on the variations of these computer things. Just glad I can get around a bit on them.  :)

Going to have to spring for a new computer, as the one I have won't allow XP to be installed. But 6 years now, so its time for a change.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Maybe it's your dad's browser settings. In firefox, there is an option:

'force links that open new windows to open in:

o    the same tab/window as link'

This might be over writing the main forum page with the gallery link. I don't know if it deletes the browse history so you can't return to the previous page though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Look at the FF logo on the top left of the gallery page... thats actually a link back to the main forum list page.

Hopefully that will make life easier?

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)