iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Empyre Pro-series 200

Started by Local4Fitter, April 30, 2012, 08:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boilerman101

Walt, I beg to differ, with a few of my own opinions. You may wish to review my May 3 post above. I don't feel your statement that "it is well known the EPA numbers are bogus" is accurate whatsoever. I believe only the efficiency numbers are in question and acknowledged by EPA with a copy of their posted statement from their site below:

Please Note Energy efficiency numbers that have been calculated using the current test procedure are generating numbers that do not represent actual efficiencies. As such, we have taken down the efficiency column from this web site. Please bear with us while we review this issue.

The 8 hour output ratings and emission numbers are not in question. The (Central) I purchased, posts the exact 8 hour burn rating in their brochure that EPA posts on their 8 hr rating chart. Nothing made up there. You might review how that test is done in that May 3 post above  The Pro Fab brochure even shows the EPA 66,290 btu 8 hour rating on their Pro200 model. Funny how Garn, Froling, etc can't get listed on the EPA website, while the Central Boiler brochure shows their Eclassic 1450 qualified for the European EN-303-5 qualification. I agree, do thorough research and watch out for snake oil salesman.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doctorb

Gentlemen-

Good discussion.  I would like to add that EPA approval of OWB's is not mandatory.  Manufacturer's decide whether to do it based upon what they receive in return for passing the tests and being able to stamp the "EPA Approvedl" insignia on their stove.  At first blush, one would think they all would want EPA approval, as it opens their stoves to markets in states that require it.  The testing is, however, quite expensive, and, the tests themselves may be changing.  Some feel more stringent testing may disqualify many currently accepted and approved brands.  I don't have facts to back up that statement.  It has been mentioned on the Forum before.  So non-US stoves (Canada and Europe) are much less likely to be EPA approved.  This does not mean that they are not as good as those that are, or even better.  This situation is ever evolving.

As more states require cleaner OWB's and the market for non-EPA approved stoves shrinks, you can bet those manufacturers will pay to have their stoves tested.

I would suggest that you look at the learned comments by beenthere and bioman from the following thread.  Start reading with my question posted on September 21, 2010.  I think they have a lot of perspective on this issue.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,40760.msg662141.html#msg662141
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!