iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have you tried this dowel maker?

Started by Brad_bb, February 12, 2024, 01:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Anyone bought/tried one of these dowel makers?  They're all over the web right now and the concept looks convenient.  Not sure if there's any adjustment in the cutter?  Unfortunately they all seem to be China made.  I don't see Rockler, Woodcraft or Lee Valley having one, nor can I find one made in usa.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

21incher

I have not tried one. Those carbide insert cutters really are not the sharpest cutters to use on a situation like that.  From the Amazon reviews it sounds like they make dowels but tearout is an issue.  I bet it would be good for anyone using metric size dowels in joints where tearout wouldn't matter. Using it to resize inch dowels to metric dimensions where  you just remove a little material may work. Guess I'll have to buy one now to try because of your post  ffcheesy.   Or hopefully someone else here has tried one 
I doubt you will find one made in the USA at that price point. Even most of the Kreg stuff everyone uses has been moved offshore.   
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Don P

Looks like a modern riff on a rounding plane. I agree carbide would be a distant second choice to HSS for this.

Machinebuilder

I will never remember the Youtube video maker.

I saw one where a piece of scrap and a chisel was used to make a dowel maker

A hole was drilled and then a chisel mounted similar to the carbide cutter.

Sorry I don't have more and better info
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Brad_bb

@Don P, why do you say that.  I always assumed that carbide is harder and will hold and edge longer?  HSS would be more re-sharpen-able though.  

@21incher , I didn't even look at the price, just tried to find a similar one made in USA.

@Machinebuilder ,  To me the advantage of such a tool is the ability to quickly change/make a different size.  This tool is a take on the old drilling a hole and using a chisel as the cutting.  That old method works, and they usually skew the chisel for better cutting.  The only down side is you have one size, and you have to set it up.  Maybe I can make a block with the holes and reliefs for the chisel  and basically have this tool home made?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

HSS is a good bit sharper than carbide, carbide is tougher and can hold its edge longer, but it is not as fine an edge. I've never seen a carbide wood chisel for instance, stone yes.

21incher

I was just poking  around Lee Valley after ordering  a scraper and sharpener set. Saw they have small ones for 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 dowels that can also be used to taper small spindles. 
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/dowel-and-tenon-cutters/52401-veritas-dowel-and-tenon-cutters
They have instructions. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

I have the Lee Valley Veritas dowel maker. You have to use good stock to make good dowels. Like good lumber comes from good logs. ;)

Made all the cross dowels for this rack with mine. They are 5 foot long dowels.

And this spool rack, including the hollow tubes for the spools.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 17, 2024, 05:44:55 AMI have the Lee Valley Veritas dowel maker. You have to use good stock to make good dowels. Like good lumber comes from good logs. ;)

Made all the cross dowels for this rack with mine. They are 5 foot long dowels.

And this spool rack, including the hollow tubes for the spools.

I remember that build and it looks beautiful.  I wish they had a 3/4 & 1inch set that I could use with my Beall jig. Round large dowels cost a fortune and hard to find. Lee Valley has some real interesting tools if you look around. I would love to have a store to wander through. 

Machinebuilder

I saw an antique dowel making machine on marketplace.

It's a Stanley no 77 with a 1/2" dia head.

Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

SwampDonkey

I think their only USA store is in Reno, Nevada. And that is brand new. They have a ware house in New York someplace.  I've been in their Ottawa store a couple of times and it's like a bee hive in there, busy. Closest one to me is Halifax, and that's probably over 400 miles by road.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

I don't think the Reno location is really a store. You have to order online and then just pick it up at that location.  The US warehouse is in Ogdensburg,  NY. That's where my orders ship from. I think they drive them down to the big Syracuse UPS office and I get them the next day. They had that scraper plane I want in the stores but backorder online till the end of March.  I got the scraper sharpener set for now as that was in stock. Their stores look about the size of our local Woodcraft that also can be crowded.   

beenthere

This a video of the dowel maker from Lee Valley?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Also the one SD mentions in his OP. One blade cutting instead of a second blade as in the Lee Valley Veritas likely makes a much smoother product.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Ah, just a pickup site. Amazon has those around to.

21incher

Thanks for the videos.  I have been looking for a 1 inch one for years. Another item for the want list.  :thumbsup: . I did not see that on Lee Valley when I was poking around.  

SwampDonkey

For longer stock than 3 feet you make V-grooved shims for under the dowel as it exits. Instructions with the dowel maker. Veritas will cut up to 7/8" dowels. You'll need a heavy drill to make dowels.

maineshops

I make all mine on the spinel chaper . I have a Stanley and it looks like the beavers spit them out.
I use a bead cutter positioned between two boards with the right size holes in them for indeed and out feed. If you get the outfeed hole just the right size it will polish the dowel. I just made some ramrods for some flint locks and they came out glass smooth. 
A little fiddily but once set up I just make a bunch. Dan
Phil:4, 13

SwampDonkey

Was wondering if anyone in Canada noticed that leevalley.com is blocked for some reason? 

Andries

Swampdonkey: The Lee Valley site is working out West in Winnipeg.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

@Andries I get this. This is usually done to block out foreign countries. Only site I see blocked when I try to access. I've tried on 3 browsers. Weird. :D

leevalley-blocked.jpg

21incher

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 21, 2024, 02:38:56 PM@Andries I get this. This is usually done to block out foreign countries. Only site I see blocked when I try to access. I've tried on 3 browsers. Weird. :D

leevalley-blocked.jpg
Maybe you have viruses buried in your machines. Run a scan. US site is fine.

Hilltop366

SwampDonkey

Tried access from my PS4 web browser, same message.  It's just that site to.

Thank You Sponsors!