iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to fell a small tree that is hung up and has started to split

Started by turdlecode, February 05, 2020, 07:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turdlecode

Thanks for letting me join your forum; This is probably a really silly question as this is a very small (5" breast height diameter) tree, and clearly you guys are in the big business, so I apologize if this is a waste of your time. I've never cut down a tree before or anything related so to me it feels fairly big!

It's just a small yard tree that someone apparently tried to cut down last year. It looks like they cut halfway through the trunk, it started to barber chair then got hung up against another tree, and they decided to call it off. It's been sitting there now over the winter.

I have a bow saw that I'm hoping to be able to make do with, because I can't afford to pay someone to come pull it down. Any advice is appreciated!

doc henderson

welcome to the forum.  I do not see a pic.  I looked in your gallery and see none.  on this forum you need to upload a pic to your gallery and then post it.  sounds like it may be outside your comfort level, and it is easy to get a bow saw stuck if the tree is under tension, which it may be as you describe it.  see if you can get a pic. up.  or find a nice neighbor who thinks this is a small tree!  best of luck!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

turdlecode

Thank you, sorry about that! Hopefully they are showing up now, somehow I made that harder than it needed to be say_what

doc henderson

are you otherwise pretty handy, and how old are you?  under 16 or over 80 as an example i would say no.  if you do lots of other yard outdoor stuff, maybe.  might be able to get a rope and attach to a car, a long distance from the tree and pull it free, and down on the ground.  some would say if you have to ask, maybe you should not!  just throwing it all out there.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

turdlecode

Just saw your reply, sorry! I'm 24, I do like working outside and with wood, but I don't know that I'm especially handy at it..
I really like that idea of pulling it down with a car, I have some ratchet straps I could hook to the back of a pickup, if I could weave between the other trees. Seems a lot safer! It is still partially attached at the trunk, but maybe it would come down anyway? Thank you for your help :)

doc henderson

after it is down, you can finish cutting it up.  the trunk looks like less than 25% of fibers are still attached.  I would rather use an axe or a hatchet, so the saw does not get pinched.  the wood at the cut will be under lots of tension, and you need to watch for springing movement.  just pull the tree away from the other tree that is holding it up, then start cutting it up, and or cut the trunk the rest of the way off.

Old Greenhorn

Welcome to the forum. Doc gave you some good ideas. Looking at it, it appears that you may not quite be able to yank it free with a vehicle, but then again, you might. Worth a try, that is the safest. Working with a bowsaw, it will pinch quickly whereas a chainsaw will give you a few seconds warning. You might be able to come at it from the cut side to weaken it enough to let the vehicle yank work.
 Having links to photos off site is not permitted here, you really have to upload them to the forum and they will show right in your post. Check the posting rules. There are instructions for posting photos found at the link at the bottom of the home page. Lets get you started on the right foot.
 Good luck, and be careful.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tawilson

It almost looks like you could reach it and start at the other end with the small stuff and work your way back. At least get some weight off it. Another foot of snow would help. Lol.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

doc henderson

I was thinking of pulling the top out of the tree with the rope and onto the ground.  then an axe to the stump end, then cut it up.  then a bow saw may work, but they do not work well often, unless they are a high quality saw.  most of the "boy scout" style bow saws are frustrating to use.  not sure if this is your house, but if you are renting, and inherited this problem, might get the landlord to take care of it.  looks like a number of the trees are leaning. 

turdlecode

Quote from: doc henderson on February 05, 2020, 10:55:26 PM
I was thinking of pulling the top out of the tree with the rope and onto the ground.  then an axe to the stump end, then cut it up.  then a bow saw may work, but they do not work well often, unless they are a high quality saw.  most of the "boy scout" style bow saws are frustrating to use.  not sure if this is your house, but if you are renting, and inherited this problem, might get the landlord to take care of it.  looks like a number of the trees are leaning.

Thanks for clarifying, I get what you mean now! Not taking the whole thing down with the truck, just pulling it out of that tree - and it's just barely held up so I think you're right that it would come down. And then I could work on the stump. If I can't come up with a chainsaw I will use an axe. Thanks again, this is very helpful :)

turdlecode

Quote from: tawilson on February 05, 2020, 10:48:07 PM
It almost looks like you could reach it and start at the other end with the small stuff and work your way back. At least get some weight off it. Another foot of snow would help. Lol.
Lol another foot! And all the time I wasted hoping it would keep melting lol if I was taller I would give it a try. I may have to enlist my brother

turdlecode

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 05, 2020, 10:08:37 PM
Welcome to the forum. Doc gave you some good ideas. Looking at it, it appears that you may not quite be able to yank it free with a vehicle, but then again, you might. Worth a try, that is the safest. Working with a bowsaw, it will pinch quickly whereas a chainsaw will give you a few seconds warning. You might be able to come at it from the cut side to weaken it enough to let the vehicle yank work.
Having links to photos off site is not permitted here, you really have to upload them to the forum and they will show right in your post. Check the posting rules. There are instructions for posting photos found at the link at the bottom of the home page. Lets get you started on the right foot.
Good luck, and be careful.
Thank you! I'm going to try to get a hold of a chainsaw, between that and pulling it hopefully it should come down!
Sorry about the photo thing, I don't know how I missed the "add photos" button originally. I finally got them uploaded through the forestry gallery and then changed the links to go there now, is that alright?
Edit* Never mind I see what you meant! I couldn't figure out how to get them resized for the post and now I think I deleted one- Lol so I just went ahead and removed the links from the original post. Hopefully that's okay, sorry again!

doc henderson

If you have never used a chainsaw, make sure it comes with the experienced owner.  do not be surprised to find, that people hesitate to loan their chainsaws.  kind of like a wife, but easier to start and stop, and less gassy! :D  just kidding!  until it is free on both ends, it will be easy to get the saw stuck in the cut.

Peter Drouin

I would stand behind the tree next to it and cut it, that way you won't get hit with the butt end of the log. Or get hit with the barber chair part.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

make a reply, select to "click here to add photo to post" the blue bar button.  select my gallery.  select a photo to add,  rotate if needed, then "click here to insert.  and then say ok.  back out of the gallery and then push post.  you can add as many as you like to a post.  I do not know of any need to resize  that is done I think by the forum.

you may need to scroll up or down to see some buttons.  the pictures add a lot.

WV Sawmiller

I think I'm mostly saying what Doc did at first. I'd take the bow saw to the top and cut off 12-16 inches to the split. I don't see where you'd get too much tension that way. Once I had the chunk out I'd cut the rest off with an ax then saw it up once it was on the ground. If you're only talking a 5-6 inch stump 2-3 well aimed whacks with a sharp ax should have it pretty near free. Good luck. stay safe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!