iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pigroast uncertainty What are your thoughts?

Started by Jeff, March 31, 2020, 09:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This year is supposed to be the 18th annual Forestry Forum Pigroast. The date would be July 31st for the prepig cookout and August 1st for the roast. Also Tammy and my 40th wedding anniversary is that day. We found a voicemail this morning from our deer friend the @fat olde elf inquiring so I thought I would try to have us all address is here.

We are in turmoil of course on what to do. Should we just cancel? Could things get better before then and make it possible? would people even be willing to come after what we are being put through? Would people NEED to come after what we are all being put through?  I know if I was to say right now, it is cancelled, Tammy and I would have far less on our minds in planning and approaching this summer, but would that be replaced by regret for letting down our members? Probably. Miracles happen and one could happen between now and then but I'm thinking hope for better times and hopes for a miracle are two different things chasms apart. I'm not sure trying to bring people together from all over the continent this summer is an appropriate thing to even attempt that soon.
What are your feelings?

Jeff and Tammy
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

K-Guy

Hi Jeff
I think this thing will be over by then and people will be more than ready for a gathering like this. I wouldn't be thinking of cancelling it until at least sometime in June.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GAB

What is the latest that you can place an order for Porky Pig?
We had every intention on attending as we have already made campground reservations for 7/31 & 8/1.
Hopefully this scourge will be over soon.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jeff

We would need to make our decision near or around June 1st to make sure a pig and porta potties are spoken for. Anything after that and the county fairs all around us cause havoc trying to get those things.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

I'd wait for a bit before cancelling.  Give it another month or six weeks and see where we're at.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Redmt

*DanG! I wish I was closer. I could even supply a pig!
Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Sixacresand

Jeff, you said a couple of years ago, that one reason to attend the PR may not happen one day.  This might be the year. 

If it is cancelled, I think FF members will understand.  I feel this virus is going to be with us for several more months and will not be over until a drug is developed to cure it.

Give it a couple weeks and see how it looks. 

My two cents worth   John
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Resonator

I was lucky enough to be able to attend last year and had a great time. I was impressed how Jeff and his family went all out to make it possible, and if there is another one I would gladly try to attend. Everyone is hoping and praying this "storm" blows over sooner than later, I suggest maybe hold off on the official decision for a few weeks. It is your party Jeff, and you decide whatever you think is best.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

low_48

I have yet to attend my first roast, but with the growth rate of death during March, this thing has just gotten it's running start. 

red

The Indy 500 is postponed until Aug 23 ,  the Kentucky Derby will be Sept 5 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

pigman

Wait two months and then do what you think is best. I will be disappointed  if I don't get to see you this year, but I will get over it.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

It is 4 months away.  i will be fine with what ever decision.  we will come if we can, and not if we cannot.  So do not hold yourselves to any other standard.  you guys do what you feel is best for you.  We are behind you no matter what! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bandmill Bandit

Would it be possible to be a bit flexible with the date this year and may be push it to the Labor Day weekend IF required or another date? Just thinking out loud.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

jeepcj779

While I would certainly like to attend (my first time), I can understand why you might want to cancel. I agree with others who said you should wait to see how things look closer to the end of May when you have to place an order for the hog and porta-potties. If things are not looking up by then, probably won't improve much by August and you can cancel. If things have improved enough, you can drive on. Fingers crossed.

fat olde elf

I had 3 important dates on my summer schedule. The 85th International Convention of AA was scheduled in Detroit July 2,3,4,and 5. This event is held every 5 years and this year AA is 85 years on June 10th.  I attended the 80th in Atlanta along with 58,000 recovering drunks. A real BFD....
This summer I was planning to attend the 65th Anniversary of my graduation from Napoleon Rural Agricultural High School.    48 graduated and 29 are still alive.....

Both of these events have already been cancelled  !!

My son Patrick worked many years as a board certified Respiratory Therapist in Charlotte. He was twice honored as  Employee of the year.  He was also certified as a pulmonary equipment technician. Because of his background and his concern for his 80 year (plus) parents he has strongly suggested that we should not leave our home. No time frame was suggested.  

I have attended every Pig Roast except the first one.  I treasure the friends I have because of the Forum especially Pat D.,Wildflower, and Tami. Sorry guys...... I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and inspiration The Forum has given me over the years. Unless a true medical miracle happens quickly I can see no chance that I can attend  this years Pig Roast.  The health risk is severe and is forecast to become even greater. Stay safe....   Paul Randolph aka Fat Olde Elf     
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Gary_C

I have a bit of personal insight into the immense volume of research that is currently underway to defeat this virus and my insight is also strongly recommending that being in the over 75 age group we (wife and I) stay home for the present. Having said that, I also recognize that what would have been considered a medical miracle just a few years ago is now becoming routine. So I have no doubt this COVID-19 virus will be defeated and it is just a matter of time.
Since we are only about 15 days into this effort, I say it's too early to cancel. The next few weeks will tell us more and certainly by June we will know if the promising new and older drug treatments will be effective. Even the ever cautious Dr. Fauci today gave some indication that if early stages of the vaccine trials showed promise that his one year timeline could be shortened.
So while it good to discuss your options now, take some more time to make your decision.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SawyerTed

Jeff I agree with those that say wait until the "go/no go" date to decide. 

I doubt we will be back to normal by August. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Tom the Sawyer

From what I saw when we were there a couple of years ago, and photos of the events since then, it appeared that many of those at the pig roast would fall into the over 60 or other higher risk categories (I check 3 of those boxes).  Of course, there may be some attending who will have already contracted CV19 and survived it, presenting no danger to the group.  Apparently, most of the population will contract the disease unless they can avoid exposure until an effective vaccine is distributed (15-18 months?).

The good news is, if you do have it, you'll be able to get by with a much smaller pig. :)
Perhaps this would be a year to focus on celebrating your 40th anniversary.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

charles mann

Quote from: Redmt on March 31, 2020, 11:42:50 AM
*DanG! I wish I was closer. I could even supply a pig!
Same here, iv got a 275 lb corn fed, pen raised feral hog i need to butcher. Couldnt think of a better way and donating it. 
Plus my son is graduating usmc boot camp on or around that date and i plan on attending that. 
As for the pig, if someone close (100-200 miles) was attending, i could harvest him, pack him on ice and meet half way the distance and do a hand off. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Magicman

It would be much simpler to just tie a rope around it's neck and lead it to the PR.  Don't be concerned about how fast you walk 'cause what's time to a pig.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I bet he wouldn't weigh 275 lbs by the time he walked to Michigan.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

charles mann

It would be much simpler for him to stay in my pen too. Iv been feeding him for 3yrs, well, as soon as he came off the teet and started eating on his own. What another yr or 2? 

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 01, 2020, 07:36:00 PM
  I bet he wouldn't weigh 275 lbs by the time he walked to Michigan.

You are right, but this over weight mid age man aint walking to michigan, so im sure the pig wont either. Plus with 3.5" cutters, i wouldnt trust him not to turn on me. We do pretty good together in the pen, but as even with his daddy, i dont take my off them w/o someone else in or near the pen to watch my back. Or if im on the tractor, as long as neither decides they wanna learn to drive. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Cedarman

Charles, if you walked to Mi, you would still be middle aged, but probably not overweight.
Being an adaptable sort of fellow, I am happy with whatever you decide, Jeff.  
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Jeff on March 31, 2020, 11:28:06 AM
We would need to make our decision near or around June 1st to make sure a pig and porta potties are spoken for. Anything after that and the county fairs all around us cause havoc trying to get those things.
Jeff, I would just keep an eye on how things are going and the time lines you gave for reservations and ordering food. That's 60 days away. A lot can happen between then and now and if things are opening up, it might do a lot of people good to get out and get together. I wasn't even aware that you do this, but I think it's a really good thing. Can actually meet the people your chatting with. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Thank You Sponsors!