iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magnolia Tree Question for all you Tree Experts

Started by DR_Buck, June 14, 2015, 08:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

The wife and I just bought another place that we will be moving to after we retire.    There are quite a  few really nice trees on the property and one of them is this huge Magnolia that the wife loves.     This tree has quite a few large suckers that have grown off on the surface roots.   We'd like to just keep the main tree.   If I cut them off is there any chance it will kill the main tree?

My second question is, there is one limb that has grown back into the root system.   It's kind of 'cool' looking, but I may want to cut it off as well.   Will this have any negative effect on the main tree?

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

mesquite buckeye

Any cut is a potential entry point for pathogens and heart rotters.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

I say that the probability of killing the main tree is low. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

You can see on the last picture where large branches have been removed in the past, and are in the process of callusing over and sealing the wound. As long as the tree is still vigorous and growing it will eventually close over the wound.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

The whole tree system is cool, I would leave it as is, showing the diversity of nature.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

symamania

You could cut the suckers off with no adverse effects to the main tree. Cut them off when the magnolia is in growing season so that it heals it self faster, And if your worried about the open tree wounds where you cut the suckers off you could spray them with copper oxychloride.

brendonv

i cant see it doing any harm. The best bet would probably be reducing them heavily over the next couple years, then cutting them at the ground. Dont spray anything on any fresh cuts. Let the tree compartmentalize itself.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Thank You Sponsors!