iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut?

Started by Raym, August 15, 2015, 11:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

was given this log as a pecan log but after sawing ends to get ready for the mill I am wondering if it isnt walnut

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

SLawyer Dave

I am by no means an expert, but from the leaves it looks like a pecan to me.  The bark does look a little rougher than most pecans I have seen, (I have two growing in my back yard), but the leaves don't look like the black walnuts we have here in California.

square1

I may not know an aspen from a beech, but am fairly confident that is not black walnut ;)

Raym

here is a picture of the sawn wood....here is what has me confused....The wood looks, and smells like walnut. Sawing was way too easy to be pecan (I have never sawn any but was expecting the "devil") the leaves that were pictured before were spring chutes growing from the log after it was felled last winter (I will post that pic as well)

Autocar

It is walnut the leaves are a give away, sure has some pretty wood in her.
Bill

beenthere

Yup to black walnut...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I am joining the walnut camp. 

Some guy tries to sell me walnut, and it is hickory.

Somebody brings you pecan, and it is walnut.

I ain't living right  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raym

Quote from: WDH on August 15, 2015, 08:49:40 PM
I am joining the walnut camp. 

Some guy tries to sell me walnut, and it is hickory.

Somebody brings you pecan, and it is walnut.

I ain't living right  :).
If I had thought it through, I would have changed how it was sawn but I did wind up with 4 nice 8/4 live edge slabs and the rest 8/4 8 x 10 sticks. Oh, and it did saw like butter......

Dixiebonsai

I've never seen a felled log put out shoots. Interesting.I have a Walnut stump on my property that was cut down years ago.It keeps putting out shoots which I promptly weedeat.Wish I could finish that stump off.Anyone know easy way do that?

Quote from: Raym on August 15, 2015, 05:54:23 PM
here is a picture of the sawn wood....here is what has me confused....The wood looks, and smells like walnut. Sawing was way too easy to be pecan (I have never sawn any but was expecting the "devil") the leaves that were pictured before were spring chutes growing from the log after it was felled last winter (I will post that pic as well)

thecfarm

Dixiebonsai,I have a few popple on my land. I am claiming back an old pasture. When I cut a popple I cut a bowl into the stump with a chainsaw and put rock salt and water into the bowl. I leave these stumps kinda high and make about 6 inch deep by 4 inch wide bowl.I leave the stumps high so I can find the 5-6 I need to work on.This keeps me from having 100 little popple plants sucking out from the roots.I keep the rock salt in a plastic 5 gallon bucket at the stump and carry water in another 5 gallon bucket. I check it often and put whatever it needs into the bowl. If I see salt,I add water. No salt,add some salt and water. I built the wife a woman cave and there was a few red oak stumps that was under the building. I kept doing the above until the floor went on. The salt filled stump will attract wildlife too. I usually keep right at it until things freeze up,which for me is around Nov. Then start right back up in June just to make sure. Salt is a poison that the stump will bring into the root system and kill the stump.Been doing this for more than 30 years. Something my Father taught me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on August 18, 2015, 06:49:57 AM
Dixiebonsai,I have a few popple on my land. I am claiming back an old pasture. When I cut a popple I cut a bowl into the stump with a chainsaw and put rock salt and water into the bowl. I leave these stumps kinda high and make about 6 inch deep by 4 inch wide bowl.I leave the stumps high so I can find the 5-6 I need to work on.This keeps me from having 100 little popple plants sucking out from the roots.I keep the rock salt in a plastic 5 gallon bucket at the stump and carry water in another 5 gallon bucket. I check it often and put whatever it needs into the bowl. If I see salt,I add water. No salt,add some salt and water. I built the wife a woman cave and there was a few red oak stumps that was under the building. I kept doing the above until the floor went on. The salt filled stump will attract wildlife too. I usually keep right at it until things freeze up,which for me is around Nov. Then start right back up in June just to make sure. Salt is a poison that the stump will bring into the root system and kill the stump.Been doing this for more than 30 years. Something my Father taught me.
how long will it take to rot the stump 

WV Mountaineer

Never thought of the salt treatment.  It brought back a memory from the distant past. :^)

I'm a huge gardener.  I love tomatoes. I put 126 tomato plants in about 10 years ago and had ole timers telling me to put Epson salt in with them when I plant to protect against blight.  Being me, I forgot until I arrived to plant.  I put my superior reasoning to work and got some rock salt from the garage as I didn't want to run back out.  I replanted all 126 plants the following weekend.  It killed them all.

So, salt will fix the problem.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Blackgreyhounds

Walnut.  No ? asked.

Thank You Sponsors!