iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Antelope tags

Started by CLL, June 26, 2012, 02:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

Was notified that my son and myself drew a Buck and doe tag for Wyoming. Season starts September 20 and plan on being there with bells on my toes.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Magicman

Good for both of you.  To me, Antelope hunting is the most exciting and fun filled trip that you can make.  My Wife and my Son's first Western hunt was for Antelope.  Fine eating also.  We hunted North of Douglas.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Axe Handle Hound

If you haven't hunting antelope before I recommend you practice shooting at long distances.  The shortest shot we got in Montana was 250 yards and after a week of 375+ yard shots we thought 250 was a gimmie!  Antelope hunting requires a lot of patience, but I enjoyed it immensely. 

Magicman

Carry a high quality binocular.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

reride82

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on June 26, 2012, 09:19:14 AM
If you haven't hunting antelope before I recommend you practice shooting at long distances.  The shortest shot we got in Montana was 250 yards and after a week of 375+ yard shots we thought 250 was a gimmie!  Antelope hunting requires a lot of patience, but I enjoyed it immensely. 
Or climb on a tractor  :D I had a really nice buck antelope watch me summer fallow for almost 10 hours one day in North Central, MT.  :D I would make a pass, and he'd take a few steps forward and watch me go back and forth, all the while advancing enough so he was always within a hundred feet of where I had just plowed. I swear they can smell gun oil and know when to run  :)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Cypressstump

Try sticking one with an arrow on a belly stalk, talk about a belly full of stickers from cactus.
It's amazing what a little yellow ribbon on a stick, stuck out of a sage bush a couple feet will do to their curiosity. We'd step up cross/downwind 75 yrds. with a flat silhouette decoy for when a buck comes in to check the ribbon. Sometimes while he's traveling to the ribbon, and you hold up the silhouette decoy like another buck getting up,, and if he does not wind you,, he'll see the 'other' buck in his territory and come in for a challenge. But most time they merely show you how fast they can cover ground........I taken two with bow stalks, and several with the .22-.250 on low wind mornings out to 400yrds. Their eyesight is superb. And Yes, very tasty critters.

also if you spot a herd, and figure their course, plan on a fence line as providing a 'funnel' on their path. They'll go under a fence,, but will not jump over one. If you can scout your area, if it's typical ranch land, find the spots in the various fences were they go under or through, and keep that info logged in your memory or on your map. Glassing from a higher vantage point serves well, as said, good binos...Several times a herd would go opposite our setup, we'd duck out of sight and use the topography and fence lines to our advantage. They'll walk a mile to go under a fence or thru a downed/low fence.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

CLL

Hunting in area 35 just north of Cheyenne, on 12,000 acres with more available if needed. Went up to look around two weeks ago and it is really dry, but he has plenty of wells to hunt over if need be. Seen plenty of nice bucks. The area isn't know for B&C antelope, but just want a nice buck and doe to make some good sausage and jerky. Magicman, I have a nice set of 10x42 Swarovski's, and was going to use my 243, land owner preferred I use my 300wm with scope set at 200 yards. Said most shots last year was in the 200-300 yard range. He said he had one hunter that shot 15 times from 165 to 326 yards and finally decided he would not try to fulfill his tag any longer. I'm afraid I would have told him that after about the third miss.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Magicman

Sounds like you are set to go.  I personally prefer a bit more with a rifle caliber also.  My wife, PatD, had a ,243, but she used my .280 for her antelope.  She has since re-barreled it to a 7mm-08.

wdtik

In these parts prairie billies are considered a warm up to the main event--elk season..
that said--bring *lots* of ammo :D...at the point where you figure out how much to lead 'em
you're out of ammo..my personal view is use the same gun for everything..300 weatherby is a good
choice for the flat lands..
There's a band on my place in the valley-they've never been shot at but are pretty skittish.
I was setting flood irrigation dams last month and they came up almost right to me--must have been
the tarps flapping in the wind..good luck and have fun 

Thank You Sponsors!