iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinning stand too late

Started by Coastallogger, November 28, 2021, 09:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coastallogger

I am looking at building a cabin on my woodlot. There is a dominantly spruce and fir stand in front of where I want the cabin to go that grew up from an old field about 40-50 years ago. It doesn't look like it was ever thinned.

Because it's so close to the cabin, I need to thin it out a lot for fire protection and so that the cabin won't be in total shade as much. But the problem is when I cut away the edge of that forest, looking into the cross-section of that forest is very ugly with all the dead limbs most of the way up the trees.

I am wondering if with the new exposure to sunlight, these trees will develop new branches and needles lower in the trees, or if thinning needs to be done younger?
Building 20X20 dovetail log cabin off grid.

Southside

I grew up in northern Maine, spruce and fir was predominant for the most part, and I don't think I ever saw a single tree that put out new limb growth (epicormic branching) below the canopy for any reason.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

The new branching from dormant interwhorl buds is more likely in young trees. If you've got 50 plus foot fir, chances are slim and mainly little insignificant twigs if any. Main thing is leave the dominant type trees that have some of the larger girths. Skinny bean poles are likely to break off. A 50 foot fir should be 16+ inches across, not 8 or 10", for wind firmness sake. ;D Tree spacing will influence your crown height, the longer it is left alone the shorter the crown becomes. It lifts from the bottom up. Could always use a 40V Ryobi pole saw to remove some dead stuff. I tried one this week, it doesn't damage the trunk surprisingly. I've got about 50 acres of fir that was spaced already, I'm spacing again to get some undergrowth from all them seed trees. Mines not 30 years old, but 40 foot, been growing more than 12" in height  a year. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

You won't get any new branches. But if you're worried about fire danger, you'd be well served by going through and thinning it anyways. Get rid of all the dead ladder fuels.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Cut back more than needed, about 20 feet at least, than let that grow back. That will hide all the dead limbs. Will take at least 10 years, but it will grow. Well I say 10 years, when things start to grow back, more like 15 from start to finish, or in least in Maine that how it works.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!